Go Bottom Go Bottom

lighting

View my Photos
bemike61
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-08-29          156392

anyone have ideas on garage lights. it may be heated or not in winter, which means i might have some trouble with fluorscent.

looking at something that is somewhat energy efficent bright and can be used with 12-14 foot ceilings. 110-220 volt is available.

any thoughts on halide lights i have seen 175 watt,200, 400,
but heard they can put off some heat in the summer months.

any personal experiences will help thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

lighting

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-08-29          156393

Recommendations depend on size of garage and on whether you want general or area, indirect or direct, and how many hours they'll be on and how many amps you have and what other load needs may be. But there are fluorescents with low-temp ballasts.

I my case I have commercial 8' "summer" tubes with an incandescent mounted on the reflectors, and a switch to use the one, the other, or both. Over my work bench I have a 4' all-temp fluorescent fixture. ....

lighting

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-08-29          156394

In our uninsulated garage we have six flourescent fixtures with low temperature ballasts that work fine in winter. It doesn't get down to zero here but we have many days where temps never rise above freezing. In cold weather they start slightly slower and a bit dimmer but they brighten up quickly.

lighting

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-08-29          156398

We learned by experience that the wall and ceiling color have a lot to do with how well you can light up a garage or any building. When we bought our summer house the inside of the garage was a real dark color, the lights just died. We painted it white and presto the same lights did twice as much good. Anyhow to your question on what kind of lights to use. The garage I just spoke of has common incandesants and my woodshop with 9 ft. ceilings has twelve of the "Curly Fry" flourescents (75's???) in an 18X46 room and do real good. In the storage part of the shed the ceiling is 16ft. and the little "Curly's" just don't do it so I used common 200W clear bulbs and the are not perfect but adequate. Frank. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login