Go Bottom Go Bottom

Skidsteers

View my Photos
brokenarrow
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-07-15          132235

Figure this is as good a place to talk about it as any?
I was crazy when I was thinking about the LS185B skidsteer, its too much money and too large for what I need
(i know, I know) never too large but bottom line here,,,, one needs to stay within his means. That rig is plain and simple too much for what I need it for most of the time.
That being said, I do not want to down size any smaller than a LS160. Ideally the LS170 would be perfect I think but if you look at the specs between the two, there is not much of a difference? Any suggestions????
My planned usage, I need Aux Hydraulics and will use this enclosed cab unit for a snow removing tool at my new house. The driveway will be up and down a hill (maybe 25' rise and a 10 foot fall then it is going to be atleast 350 foot long. I will be on a dead end gravel road that is 1/4 mile to the other gravel town road. I may need to blow a path for my wife HEE HEE!!
What do you think? 160 large enough for the snow removal and general landscaping around a new house?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Skidsteers

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-07-16          132247

BROKEN: My '05 LS185.b listed at $47,000 with enclosed cab, heat, standard aux. hyd., weight kit, turnsignals, block heater, 2-speed, hyd. locking plate (sweeet!), 72 inch bucket and a bunch of other stuff. Dealer gave me $20,000 trade-in on my '03 LS180 with 300 hours. You can buy these all day still for dealer trade-in price.

With your employee discount what would you be looking at?

You can get a used, plain-Jane 170 for about $10K, and it may work fine for you. Add steel tracks and you'll have a fairly powerful machine to do most of your tasks. Traction is another thing. You'll have 10 inch wide tires which aren't known for being floaters, though you can put 12" wide on there, it raises your bucket heel about 1.5 inches making grading difficult. Either way I would suggest steel over-the-tire tracks like I've got---mine's almost unstopable---I can go through 18 inch deep marsh mud with no problem with a full load! I can get you dealer cost on a set if you want. I saved $300 on mine by working toward being a dealer---and they're made in Wisconsin too! Ten inch list at around less thn $1000, your price about $800.

You can make your tracks like I didd using logging chain and 1/2 x 2 inch bars bent and welded to the chain, but that will cost about $600. They work realy well but need constant attention to adjust them to keep 'em tight.

Weight will always work in your favor when getting traction--if you've got the money, surely go for the 180/185--you won't go wrong. For comparison, for about 2 years I used a LS170. I thought it was a bully until I tested a 180 for a month. I was sold. The 170 felt like a kid's toy. I can pick up and move an entire car from the side with the grapple bucket. (have another one for sale just like it), and back home even dug my neighbor's septic tank hole in solid rock hard clay with it. Couldn't ahve done it without tracks though. ....

Picture Link
Garden and Landscape Skidsteers

Skidsteers

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2006-07-18          132348

Earthwrks
I just got my first qoute.
Ls160
10x16.5 tires
CAB W/HEAT
REAR WT. KIT
Hydraulic attatchment plate
72" low profile bucket
delivered
$21,398

DOES that seem a bit high? Was wondering what the CAB and heat costs /ADDS to the cost of a machine!!!

I am a bit dissapointed with that price, was thinking it may be under 20K for the 160.

What do you all think about that price and does anyone have any idea what they are going for in your area? ....

Skidsteers

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-07-18          132354

That's why I say for the same or less money you can get a 2 or 3 year old machine that will sooo much more.

But back to yours: the hydraulic plate adds over $800, the cab and heat about $1800, wider bucket $??, factory weight kit upwards of $4-500 (which is a waste of money on a small machine IMHO). Skip the wider bucket and you won't need the weight kit. You can get after-the-sale (not aftermarket) hydraulic plate that connects to the hydraulic aux. or the actual kit through parts which is very expensive and extensive to install. Back in '02 my buddy paid $23,000 for his basic LS170 and recently got $9000 at auction. Check out e-bay for what new and used machines are going for (check out "completed items" which shows what they actually sold for). ....

Skidsteers

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2006-07-20          132443

Thanks Earthwrks
A few questions if I may?
Hydraulic plate? I have never operetated a SSteer with one, all of the ones I have used have been lever activated by hand. Besides the obvious reason, what else is the hydraulic plate used for? Do you need it for a snow thrower? Figured the front aux hydraulics were for that?
EWRKS, My uses will only be around the house and the driveway in winter, I have a tractor for anything heavy (LOL) I figured I needed (wanted) the cab not only for winter but for summertime bugs since I will be in the woods most of the time.
That price was the CNH "employee purchace program) price!! This is why I wanted to know what a ls1 60 cost in other areas? A few years back I had a price in the 18's for a ls 170 with the same goodys minus hyd plate. Maybe I need to do some more checking? ALSO
WHat time of year do they come out with new model year skid steers? Maybe I wait for a year old new one? ....

Skidsteers

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-07-20          132444

Hydraulic plate means there is one hydraulic cylinder connected to the locking pins where the levers would normally be to lock the attachment. It makes life much easier by changing attachments in seconds from inside the cab versus getting in and out. Anything requiring hydraulics still requires getting out to hook them up like a snow blower---these are "aux. hydraulics" located on the left boom arm, which are a standard feature. But like I said there is a hybrid hydraulic plate available from NH Parts that connects to the "Aux. hydraulics", but then you couldn't run a snow blower because it would lock or unlock the blower from the SS. The cab/heater is great for what you're using it for. I can use mine in 95 degree weather and still freel reasonably comfortable. The filters I found are interchangable with car engine air filters for $3.50 each.

I still think a used big LS180 is the way to go.

NH is not reliable when releasing new model years from my exp. It took me 5 months to get my LS185.b because the factory messed up my order 4 times before they got it right. d They're not like cars "ooooh the new '07's are out"---it's more like it was made on a certain date and that's it---no hoopla. I have to think a dealer might be gun-shy to order an '07 when he's got several '06 or even '05 on the lot. They have 30 days to sell them before they start paying interest to CNH Credit, so my dealer told me. That said I'd be looking for one from your dealer that they have been paying interest on and want to dump it and CNH may even help them out on the employee price to help them move it---dunno. ....

Skidsteers

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2006-07-24          132573

Yep
as time goes on and needs/wants changes hind sight is twenty twenty. Shoulda bought a new skid steer and looked for a used low hour tractor. For my uses a skid steer would be more handy most of the time. BUT The tractor is still dual purpose and will do just about the same thing I want to do although moving a few hundred yards of gravel or dirt would be a pain with the tractor compared to the skid steer.
Thanks for your prospective Earthwrks ....

Skidsteers

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-07-24          132574

But you CAN have BOTH! Whadacountry! It's only money. And remember: the guy with the most toys wins. ....

Skidsteers

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-07-25          132583

brokenarrow,

If you can hand on some you may find a machine like you want coming back from the Hurricane damaged area. They are beginning to show up in my area on the east coast. The used market may be rather full. ....

Skidsteers

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-07-25          132598

Having worked(ing) down here in the Hurricane mess personally, I'd stay away from anything used down here--most guys including me came down here thinking we'd make some money. But truth is only a select few made money. The rest of us found that after we paid our expenses there was little or nothing left over to properly maintain the machines---oil changes, lubrication, AIR FILTERS. And the conditions these machines were subjected to---knee-deep mud saturated with highly concentrated salt water which rusts everything, buried stumps and trees, pavement that is like 80-grit sandpaper which wears out tires and strains drive trains and wears out bucket cutting edges, and picking up debris and loading trucks day in day out for nearly a year. All my pivot points on the loader are worn badly from grabbing a load or demolishing a house and having to shake or pull loose buried power lines in it. When I brought my brand new NH LS185.b with 12 hours on it. It's got nearly 500 on it now and it looks like it's ten years old---every square inch is either dented, scratched, or rusting. And KW I don't know what prices they commanding in your area, but when they were still down here guys were tying to get as much as they can for these used and abused machines since they were bought new and have big payments still. I met numerous guys who second mortgaged their homes, or borrowed $100,000 to buy big semi dump truck and loaders who are about to, or have lost everything because they couldn't pay for it. ....

Skidsteers

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-07-25          132599

ew,

good points. Sad. ....

Skidsteers

View my Photos
oneace

2006-07-26          132662

Broken the new Model skid steers are out. The dropped the s and gave it a new sticker. They are once again L160 and so on. Earth works the dealers actually have 90 days to sell with no interest. That is a very high price for a 160. Is that the same dealer you got your tractor from? Also for get the hyd. quick attach plate worth it for landscapers but not the home owner. ....

Skidsteers

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-07-26          132668

Tony, maybe I'm thinking 30 days for used equipment they take in on trade??

IMHO the hydraulic plate IS worth it for the well-heeled estate owner such as Brokenarrow or those whose backs are just as bad or worse than mine. There's nothing like slipping off a wet or muddy bucket in the rain or snow trying to latch or unlatch it. But I'm jis' sayin' ....

Skidsteers

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-07-26          132670

earthwrks,

Thought about you Saturday. I road in circles with the sun shining hot!

The skidsteer from there for sale here must have missed the work you were talking about. It looks almost brand new. If it had been on the proper band lot I would have thought it was. But yellow Cat on Blue Farmtac sure shows up. ....

Skidsteers

View my Photos
oneace

2006-07-26          132674

Got your Ebonics going since you been down south aye. Point take though. The one thing I did not mention have you ever had the handles on the conventional release so tight you had to use a pipe to get them to release? That happens with the hyd. plate to accept you have to beat the pin up from the bottom while some one else holds the button and pushes the pedal. All it takes is one good hit to the bucket to tweak some thing out of whack. It does help save the cab door from the boom after you are done changing though. ....

Skidsteers

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-07-26          132681

Tony, I still sound like the people on TV--when I make a sales call for private work some of the locals ask me,"you ain't frum 'roun' he-ah 'r ya? LOL---and I'm the one with the accent! KT are you dizzy yet from all the drivin' in circles? And you do that...wwwhhhhy? hahahaha.
And if the machines are new and in good condition, those were the even more unfortunate ones who came to the party late only to find the good work was already done. We had guys coming from all over the US as late as 6 months too late looking for work. ....

Skidsteers

View my Photos
oneace

2006-07-26          132683

double double toil and double.You posted twice now your in trouble. LOL ....

Skidsteers

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-07-26          132692

uh-uh. I deleted the second one (got fatfingeritis---flairs up more in this southern air) ....

Skidsteers

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2006-07-26          132695

Who's payin you all fer the kleen up down dar? Insurance companies I hope?
Works,,, how you doin on yer payment or was she paid off before you left?

Oneace
Still wondering about the price qoute I got. Maybe you can give me some 411 on this?
Yes, it is the same dealer that gave me the great price on my tractor. Its the same employee purchase program.
Are some dealers more into the tractor portion and there for get a better price from the company than others?
Was wondering if I need to find a dealer that sells mostly skidsteers instead of tractors? Maybe they would get a better price for the company and there for could pass on a better price to me under the epp?
I thought that price was about 2-3 K high (minus the hydraulic plate and weights). W/O those two itemes I was thinking the price should be around 18,500-19K under our price? What do you think?

Skidsteers

View my Photos
oneace

2006-07-26          132696

Check the New Holland construction site for a dealer near you. But Just like a tractor you want to shop around. ....

Skidsteers

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-07-27          132709

Insurance paying for it??? errrr?? No way Jose, it's your TAX dollars paying for the cleanup and the up-to $150,000 individual block grants some are getting. Plus their $2000 each FEMA evacuation money, plus up to $26,000 each FEMA grants right after the storm for households who lost everything---plus whatever insurance pays out. And no my machine isn't paid off; I made one payment before I came down here and 4 years to go. And let's not forget the $70,000 each FEMA pays for each camper trailer to buy, maintain, set them up. PLUS they pay property owners $400 month each for lot rental to put someone else's trailer on their lot. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login