Go Bottom Go Bottom

Removing Alligatored Lead Paint

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2013-03-21          186431

We are fixing my dads house for sale and we have some alligatored lead paint that needs fixing before listing. From what I have read it hardly sounds worth it to do myself. Are the warnings over sold? Or should we just hire it out?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
chuckles
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2013-03-21          186440

Supposedly creating lead dust is very bad. I have heard people say that using a heat gun and scraping works well, but lead fumes are very bad and you need to wear a respirator ....if it is much that needs doing hiring it out might be best. ....

View my Photos
taogden

2013-03-21          186441

Depending on your state regs for this, I saw a diy program which the people painted over it with a special paint to hold it in place on the wall and keep it from unbonding. Have you checked to see if that is an option? Not sure what you have done for research.

http://www.ecobondlbp.com/faqs Is a sight you can check for an alternative to what you are considering. ....

Link:   Ecobond

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2013-03-22          186447

Sherwin williams has a good website, an E-Mail address, and an 800 number to ask questions. I think it is called Askminwax.com. I have called them on finishing problems for furniture and gotten good prompt answers.

Frank. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2013-03-22          186449

Quote:
Originally Posted by taogden | view 186441
ecobondlbp you can check for an alternative to what you are considering.

Home Depot sells it for $49/gallon. Reviews there say it goes on thick and maybe even pebbly. Might do the trick. I'll look into the other one as well. ....

View my Photos
taogden

2013-03-22          186455

Don't forget, it still requires a notification to the seller under federal law, but, I would let the real estate agent word the document for that. I would definitely point out the mitigation steps taken if your state requires the statement. All older homes should have it. ....

View my Photos
chuckles

2013-03-22          186456

How old is the house, they started phasing lead paint out in the 1950's. If you are not sure you can get a 3M lead tester kit a Lowes. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login