Go Bottom Go Bottom

3pt not working

View my Photos
mntoy1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-07-31          114149

Hello everyone, I have a C172 with a front bucket and a rear box. I got the tractor stuck the other day and it pushed the rear box up to bring the back tires off the ground. Worked the tractor a little more that day and parked it and let the rear box down. Now the box will not work, go up and down. I had just changed the fluid and filter, but decided to change the filter again. Still did not work. Next I read that the piston under the seat has alot to do with the 3pt going up and down. So I took adjustment cover with a handle off to expose the piston. I can push the piston in and out as the lift arms go up and down this does not seem to be dirty or grungy. I started the tractor and fluid came out of the side of the piston housing, looks like it would have gone into the top of the cover to push the piston in but the cover was off. The front bucket works great and will lift the front tires off the ground, just cant get the rear box to lift and lower. Any ideas what to do next? Any idea how much pressure should be going to the rear 3pt through the hydraulic hose? What else should I take apart to inspect? How do I test the pump? The 3pt hose is fedd off the front bucket control handle, could the handle be bad. Help, I just spent two days playing with this piston, and the sheet metal is a bear to get on and off. Can anyone help?
Mike

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

3pt not working

View my Photos
hardwood

2005-07-31          114153

Mike; Being you had the tractor stuck to the point of the rear box lifting the rear wheels off the ground reminds me of a similar situation that I had a few years ago with a Case farm tractor. First, are there any exposed 3pt. linkages under the tractor that could be jammed with mud? I wasn't quite that lucky. When I got it figured out the internal linkage that controls the 3pt. was streched and broken when the hitch got pushed above it's upper limit. I hope this isn't your situation, but if it is be sure you can piece back together any broken internal parts so that none of them end up in your transmission gears. Best of luck. Frank. ....

3pt not working

View my Photos
mntoy1

2005-08-01          114173

Thanks for the reply Frank but the lift arms move freely up and down by hand after I have removed the rear box. Also when I removed the piston cover if I push it in by hand the lift arms will also go up and down. Do you think I should still take the time to remove the top cover to see if anything is broken inside? ....

3pt not working

View my Photos
hardwood

2005-08-01          114174

Mike,I'm not familiar with your brand of tractor, but only taking for granted that most any brand would have some internal linkages. Perhaps someone on the board with a tractor similar to yours or a dealer tech who may read of your delema can offer better advice, but if it's only a few bolts holding a cover under the seat I'd have a look. Frank. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login