Go Bottom Go Bottom

Really dumb question - new member

View my Photos
mascari
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-07-08          90372

OK this may be a dumb question.

I'm using my Dad's old Ford Jubilee Tractor to clear part of my property. There is a Howse bush-hog attached. I ran into a couple of hidden stumps that made a lot of noise, so I checked underneath when I was done. I was surprised to find that one of the blades was swinging, but the other was fixed. I figured that was wrong and that it needed fixed or tightened. Then I saw a highway mower with its deck lifted up and saw that it had a blade that was swinging also.

So the dumb question is, is one of the blades supposed to swing?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-07-08          90378

Welcome to TractorPoint! Good to have you aboard.

I've never seen a bush hog with one fixed and one swinging blade, but there are a lot of things I haven't seen. I believe that bush hogs with stump jumpers (a plate mounted to the spindle with the blades mounted to the plate) always have swinging blades. ....

View my Photos
DK35vince

2004-07-08          90381

The blades (both blades) should swing ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-07-09          90391

mascari; Welcome to Tractor Point. Yes both blades should swing. There really is no such thing as a "Dumb Question", the only way any of us learn is by asking questions, so ask away. I may have a question for you someday that will be "Super Dumb". Enjoy your day. Frank. ....

View my Photos
5picker

2004-07-09          90397

mascari,
Welcome! As everyone said...there are no dumb questions! Most brush hogs that have "stump jumpers" (a large circular disc underneath that the blades attach to) are designed to let the blades swing at their attaching point. This is almost always both blades. I never seen one that only one blade could swing. That's not to say there isnt one out there!

Sometimes after setting a while or over the winter, the blade can gald up on it's pivot point. Sometimes a squirt of penetrating oil or the like will loosen it up and sometimes you have to remove the attachment bolt and clean it up a bit. A frozen blade on it's pivot point will usually cause some vibration as well unless it happens to be stuck at exactly the right spot.

You mentioned hitting a few things that "made a lot of noise" so you checked it when you were finished. I've found that waiting until you are finished after hitting things that make strange/loud noises can be disasterous. Sometimes it's better to stop and check for damage before proceeding. Of course, disengage the machine and use extreme safety!

My $.02
Tim ....

View my Photos
mascari

2004-07-09          90456

OK thank you all for responding. Yes, the blades are mounted to a saucer shaped disk. The "fixed" blade appears that it too will swing if it hits something hard.

Cool, I thought I was going to have to fix it. :-)

Thanks again!

Nick M ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login