Go Bottom Go Bottom

finish or brush

View my Photos
magoo2
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-03-07          79126

I've got an acre+ of grass and another acre of pasture (mostly clover and tall grasses). I'm considering a rear finish mower for a BX23. The dealer is trying to sell me a 48 inch kubota finish mower (rear). Will it do both jobs (yeah, I know about trees and limited maneuverability with the drag along). thanks.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

finish or brush

View my Photos
jdgreen

2004-03-07          79129

It depends on if your pasture is fairly smooth and how often you plan to mow it. Finsh mowers are not designed for rough terrain and you could damage the blades, spindles, wheels or even the deck itself if used on rough terrain. Finish mowers also do not handle tall grass very well. If your pasture is fairly smooth and you plan to cut it every couple of weeks you should be fine. ....

finish or brush

View my Photos
itsgottobegreen
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-07          79133

I would use a 42" rotory cutter on rough ground. Muilt blade machines don't have a high enough blade tip speed to cut tall grass. I happen have one. I picked up in package deal i don't need since i have a 48" model. It a 42" landpride which is designed for the BX series and the JD 2210. I paid $500 so i let you have for that price. Usally runs about $900 new. Its only been used on 2 acres of tall grass 8 times. Its a 2002 model. It looks brand new. email me at rookieff_MAVFC at hotmail.com ....

finish or brush

View my Photos
magoo2

2004-03-07          79136

thanks, when you say tall? my understanding that the deck height can be adjusted upwards of 5", so set at 5" do you think I could cut 10" grass (not brush) but field grass? ....

finish or brush

View my Photos
plots1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-07          79146

brush won't leave it as pretty but will hold up a lot better to any unexpeced items you encounter. ....

finish or brush

View my Photos
magoo2

2004-03-07          79154

Thanks, I hear a lot about pretty, but what does that mean. Something to do about sharpness of the blades, but if you mow a "lawn" with a brush hog or such, what do you get? ....

finish or brush

View my Photos
Peters

2004-03-07          79163

Mr. Magoo2 it has to do with the tip speeds and the size of the blades. The bush cutter blades move much slower and there is no vacuum effect to pick up the grass as it cuts. The blades are designed to smash the ends of the brush so they do not leave dangerous spikes for tractor tires and animal hooves.
If I mow the lawn with my Bush hog I get massive ruts from the wheels and mower edges. I get huge windrows and 5 to 6 inch long grass. It looks OK from a distance.

finish or brush

View my Photos
Jim on Timberridge

2004-03-07          79169

Check into flail mowers, which will give a finish cut along with the ability to chop thru heavy growth and small saplings. They are more expensive though.
jim ....

finish or brush

View my Photos
oneace

2004-03-08          79264

i would not sugest a flail to any body for one as mentioned they are more expensive and two insted of haveing just two or three blade to maintain you have from 10 to 50 to maintain. ....

finish or brush

View my Photos
oneace

2004-03-08          79265

as to what pretty refers to with a finish mower you end up with grass that looks like it was combed, like what a golf course looks like. with a brush cutter or high weed mower you end up with a choppy "mess" it will look like a hay field. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login