Go Bottom Go Bottom

Finish Mower vs Rotary Cutter

View my Photos
JParker
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-10-27          67268

I have a Kubota B7800 HSD with FEL on order. I want to maintain 6 acres of field, and have a garden tractor for what will be the yard (it couldn't handle the field unless I cut it weekly and slowly). I have a field & brush mower for maintaining logging roads, some trails and the fence line.

My intent is to cut the field 3-4 times a season. This seems to allow about 10" of thick grass in spots with 30" or higher broom straw and weeds. The garden mower deck just pushed over the straw & tall weeds.

The occasional Locus tree tries to spring up, but I think I'm slowly winning that battle with the DR & Round Up.

Which type of cutter should I get? I've heard conflicting info about using a finish mower on high grass and weeds.

I feel the rotary cutter is the safe bet, but would like the better cut of a finish mower if possible.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-10-27          67273

If you are going to let the vegetation grow that tall between cuttings, you would be best served by a rotary cutter. You can maintain it with a finish mower but you will need to cut it more often to stay on top of it. I use a mmm to keep a few acres or pasture land cut but I cut it about every 2 or 3 weeks. Any less than that and the grass grows to thick and tall which over loads and chokes up the finish mower. The finish mower would be able to handle the 10 inch tall stuff if adjusted properly but the 30 inch tall stuff it just too much.

The rotary cutter will give you more utility by allowing you to open up and clear tall brushy areas in the future if you decide. They don't make as nice a cut as a finish mower but with sharp blades and regular cutting, they don't do too bad. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-10-27          67282

I'll second Chief's recommendation. Rotary cutters are made for cutting that tall thick stuff. ....

View my Photos
JParker

2003-10-27          67286

Thanks for the quick responses. I don't live on the property yet, that's why we let it go a little. We just are trying to keep it under control for now while doing other clean up projects. The soil is very "clayey" except in the pasture.

Kwschumm - good luck with getting unstuck, you have me re-thinking the R4's I ordered. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-10-27          67290

There's no reason why you can't also use a rotary cutter to cut grass - it won't look as manicured as a finish mower but it will do the job.

JParker, I'm sure R4s are fine in most circumstances. Since you are interested in mowing you won't want R1s since they will certainly leave tracks on a lawn or field. People more experienced than me say that R1s would be just as bad in my situation. I dunno. It would be an expensive experiment to buy a second set of tires to do an A/B comparison, but if I keep having traction problems something will have to be done. ....

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-10-27          67293

Every once in awhile when I am cutting my pasture I fantasize about getting a finish mower and keeping it perfectly manicured like some country estate...usually right about then an unseen rock jumps up and smashes my Rotary Cutter and I am back to reality!

Pasture and finish mower = bad idea :) ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login