Go Bottom Go Bottom

gearbox

View my Photos
xdiesel
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-07-31          60510

Need a gearbox for a woods/cub cadet model 401 60'mmm. Dealer says $500 for new one. The bearings are shot all the way around but the gears are intact is there some way to repair or rebuild it with new bearings? I'm not the most mechanically inclined so I'm a bit out of my league. Any suggestions or advice would help especially how to remove the seals.thanx

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

gearbox

View my Photos
TomG

2003-07-31          60519

If you can come up with the bearings most mechanics could rebuild it. Sometimes general automotive electrical shops rebuild starters and alternators with generic OEM parts much cheaper than dealers can. A transmission or other specialty shop might be able to do the same for gear boxs. I'd guess a dealer's techs likely could do a pretty good job as well.

I wouldn't just launch into a disassembly and bearing replacement. Gears can be intact but have excessive backlash that need to be adjusted with shims. Some pinion bearings have to have a pre-load set for reassembly. An experienced mechanic probably would have to look at a specs chart to know what would work, but I'd have to look.

There are quite a few ways seals have to be removed and replaced. Snap ring pliers of several types are often needed and sometimes special tools help. Sometimes seals are driven out from the backside. Just depends on the unit. It's also not uncommon for seals to be damaged when replacing them.

gearbox

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-07-31          60525

When the bearings went out did they take the housing? ....

gearbox

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-07-31          60527

I've never seen a gearbox that you COULDN'T replace the bearings in. As long as the case isn't damaged it should be easy.

Any competant auto/tractor repair type shop should be able to do it fairly easily.

Tip of the week, take the bearings to an auto supply store for replacement, not the dealer, manufacturers are famous for selling you an industry standard $6 part for $38 and making you wait a week because it's a 'special order' part, likely from UAP the next time their there....

Best of luck. ....

gearbox

View my Photos
Art White

2003-07-31          60544

Murf, you are being hard on me. It is interesting but depending on which manufacturer is currently using bearings depends on how low of a price we have. We use three major lines to price from and we are normally cheaper then the NAPA next door as well as the major bearing stores. That does require an effort on our part to keep someone checking and cross referencing parts. We do not catch them all but still trying!!! ....

gearbox

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-07-31          60546

This would not a difficult job for any of the other posters, but if you are not mechanically inclined it would be best to have a mechanic do the work for you. As stated previously there are likely to be tools that you do not have. The bearings and seals will not be very expensive and it should not take long to get the box rebuilt.

You can save some money by getting the box off of your mower and paying for just the work inside the gearbox. There is a chance that there is additional internal damage, but gear teeth are hardened and should be OK if they did not run too long with the bad bearings. If the bearings failed because of a failed tooth on the gear, this is going to get more expensive. Either way, you have to get the box off of the MMM to get started with the project. ....

gearbox

View my Photos
xdiesel

2003-07-31          60552

I did remove the box from the deck. When I opened the box I noticed bearings and metal shavings in the the oil. So I'm at least that far. There are two sets of bearings one for the drive shaft the other one drives the belt. One set is completely destroyed the other is somewhat intact but damaged. I just cant seem to be able to remove the seals I think a better selection of tools may help. Also would anyone familiar this mower deck know the type? size? of bearings to order? I ordered new seals,a gasket and a vent plug from but there was no way to order bearings through cub cadet for some reason.I know its difficult to gage but if I did take it to a repair shop what is a repair like this going run whats a roundabout $amt. I thank all of you for your input. ....

gearbox

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-07-31          60556

The bearings will have a manufacturer and number stamped into the bearing races. Bearing and automotive supply houses can cross reference that number to give you the right part.

Seals are pressed in. You quite often destroy them getting them out. There will be an industry standard number on the seal also.

If there is metal in the lube, replace all the bearings. ....

gearbox

View my Photos
harvey

2003-08-01          60598

I'm not sure where in the southerntier you are. But I am located just north of you in Moravia.

Our company is doing the work on 81 in the Castle Creek section. So I spend almost every day down that way.

If you need help with your box I will gladly give you a hand with it at no cost. Just your time and gas at my place early on a Sunday am. I'll even make the coffee. NAPA opens at 7:30 for parts.

On rain days we are hauling stone out of Hancock so could meet ya and give you some pointers if that is all ya need.

Rather than take up a bunch of space on this thread e-mail me: harvey( at )odyssey.net I'll give ya my phone numbers and cell phone cause It real hard to catch me this time of year.

Harvey

gearbox

View my Photos
Art White

2003-08-01          60599

Now thats a friend indeed!! Harvey, a little assist for you, all the parts are available for that spindle assembly seperately thru Cadet and as a complete unit it we sell it for $127.86 for outside spindles. ....

gearbox

View my Photos
TomG

2003-08-01          60619

Now that is a fine offer and one from Art too. It'll also save me taking space for a rambling description of how I used to bang out seals, and to make sure the new ones start in straight. I used to have an old round tapered hammer handle just for seals and aligning shafts. Stuff like that. I've never had a slide hammer but that'd make removing many seals easier. ....

gearbox

View my Photos
xdiesel

2003-08-02          60756

Once again thanx for all your help. Thats a great offer Harvey however I have very little free time even on weekends. I'm in Binghamton and I know where Moravia is but getting time is the thing. I just purchased 3 sets of Timkin bearings and races from a bearing house here in town. I handed them off with the seals to a friend at a local tractor dealership who said they could pull it off. He's going to want a little more than gas and coffee but I felt it was a reasonable labor charge given my time constraints. Thanx again ....

gearbox

View my Photos
harvey

2003-08-02          60773

You are welcome any time. During the winter I have lots of time. Many projects here to catch up on, most of the time.

I'm spending a lot of time in the Castle Creek area. 2 more big jobs comming up on 81 south of Cortland.

We are working an average of 75+ hours a week now till mother nature shuts us down. We have a LOOOOONG way to go and a very short time to get there.

Any time you need a hand with something mechanical feel free to ring my bell.

Harvey ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login