Go Bottom Go Bottom

Finish mower pros or cons needed

View my Photos
Joe D.
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-02-09          48900

Going to buy a finish mower to mow 7 acres with pretty flat sandy soil and I am just baffled when I look at the different types and prices.
I’m not going to pay over $1100 before taxes for a 5-foot rear discharge finish mower, so in North Central Florida that drops Land Pride $1600+, Bush hug 1300+, BEFCO $1300 and Rhino $1300.
I do have choices of:
SITREX
SICMA
SOVEMA
Also when you look at the pictures on the Internet a lot of the unnamed brands look just like the three Italian made mowers like:
Sicma / First Choice
Sovema / LMC
I could be wrong though.

To break it down further:
Do I want spring belt idlers or manual belt adjust and hard or soft tires?

I do not want to make a bad decision here more experienced help needed and appreciated.

Thanks ahead of time,
Joe

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
hardwood

2003-02-09          48903

Joe, it may sound like I'm a Land pride dealer with this statment and others I've made in the past, but I'm not, I'm just a satisfied customet. I've never used a rear discharge mower of any brand, but I'm on my second side discharge Land pride, the first was an AT2572, then after we started mowing more aeria I traded it for an AT2684. I pulled them with a JD 4300. The tractor handled them fine except for front ballast, a set of front weights, or in my own case I just leave the loader on. I've never had hard tires, or foam filled tires, but on both units if I droped the mower just right with air tires, with a wheel castered toward the front the tire will roll off the rim, so tubes are a must. If you're going to mow an a regular basis where you're not leaving high volumes of trimmings a rear discharge will probably leave a nicer pattern. Some of the ditches, etc. we mow may only get mowed once or twice a summer, so the side discharge unit works better because of the high volume of trimmings to get out from under the deck. I don't have an answer on prices of other brands, I'm sure there are less expensive units, but I've got quite a few pieces of LP equipment, plus a good dealer within 15 miles, so I don't even shop anymore. Don't be afraid to ask questions, there's lots of nice folks here, who will give you their opinions too, good luck. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2003-02-09          48905

I forgot to answer your question on spring loaded , or manualy adjusted belt idlers. Hand tightened would probably work ok as long as you check them on a regular basis, but spring loaded ones really work neat. I've also found that it's a good idea to take the covers off the belts every couple mowings to clean out the dirt, clippings, etc., that will collect under there. I've allways been amazed at how much power you can put thru that single V-belt between the gear box and the blade spindles, I've never had to replace one. I'll shut up for now and let others give you their ideas. ....

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-02-09          48913

I think you need to judge for yourself as to the quality and features that you want. This is difficult if it is your first mower so here are a few tips.
I have had the solid and airfilled tires.
The solid tires I had on a Landpride. Eventually I had to replace some of the solids as the bearing eventually wore out. They are expensive, more than double the price of the airfilled. Compared to my current mower (Bulher FarmKing) with airfilled tires they were more prone to scalp the lawn. Without the flex in the tires they tended to not swivel correctly, like the solid rubber tires on a shopping card, when I turned sharply or backed up they remain in the original direction and scalped the turf.
The only downside of the rubber tires is the possibility of deflating. I have knocked the tires off the rim (on the trailer). One suggestion is to get them foam filled. I would assume this would still be less than the cost of the solid tires.
Bearings on the deck need to be considered, but as these mowers are also used commercially most are heavy enough to last a long time in residential applications. The main item to check is the ease of greasing. If you need to remove all the covers to grease forget it.
The bottom edge of the deck needs to be considered as often you back into something or catch a root or rock. The landpride I had was just a straight edge but fairly heavy steel. Despite this it was cracked and repaired. When I bought the new mower I looked at a lot of decks and chose the Buhler as they have a 1/2 inch round steel welded around the bottom edge. This provides added strength and protection (toes) as it provides a smooth edge.
As you are cutting in sandy ground you need to consider the gauge of steel used in the deck. When I was a teen we lived on the beach and the mower cut itself in half over time with the sand. The Bulher used as heavy a gauge as the landpride.
The other consideration is parts, but as most use the same wheels, bearings and blade sizes, there are few parts that need to be ordered directly from the manufacture.
Another consideration is the strength of the 3pt hook up and wheel mounts to the deck.
I bought my Bulher FarmKing for around $1000 they are from Manitoba. I have heard the Italian mowers are good value also, Kioti sell one in orange. ....

View my Photos
JAZAK

2003-02-09          48927

I goofed , I placed my message on the wrong forum see(419 loader-jazak) sorry. ....

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-02-09          48936

Jaz you can cut and paste you know.
I have a model #SM180P SITREX (italian): 71 INCH,SOLID TIRES,ANTI-SCALPING ROLLER,REAR DISCHARGE,ITS BUILT LIKE A TANK !!! The hubs have grease fittings,the leading edge is re-inforced with 1/2 steel rod and has held up very well. Its a manual ajusting belt driven blade unit that is easy to maintain. I love the rear discharge,it doesn't "clump" wet/damp grass like the side discharge mowers do and I like the wide "stripes".

View my Photos
JAZAK

2003-02-10          49001

thanx, I'm good with a wrench however I'm still a "green horn " with computers. ....

View my Photos
DK35vince

2003-02-10          49005

JAZAK,
Don't feel bad,I don't know how to cut and paste either.
And I type with one finger! ....

View my Photos
Joe D.

2003-02-10          49012

I work on computer very day and I only type with two fingers and one on the backspace key.

I’m leaning more to Sitrex 5’ rear discharge.
I have a lot of trees to mow around and I’m not sure my little YANMAR 1500 18Hp will handle any more.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login