Go Bottom Go Bottom

help belly or rear

View my Photos
treeman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-12-12          33765

I'm dealing on a used L3410 with 70 hours on it. $13500 plus $3500 for a new loader. I'm stuck between a belly mower and a Land Pride rear discharge grooming mower. I'll be mowing between the rows of black walnut trees I have. It's not like it has to be perfect like a yard. My land is mostly flat but I will want to mow the ditch also that has a little drop in it. I will not be mowing any brush of any kind. I was also wondering if the tractor would run a 84" rear mower.
Any help is greatly appreciated!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

help belly or rear

View my Photos
fieldmower
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-12-12          33772

you are not going to want the belly mower on when you use the loader, it will be in the way when you operate on uneven ground... the real question is how many acres and how fast do you want to mow it..
i am sold on flail mowers, but they are 2x the price of a rear mount, but cut nicer and faster and more manuverable...

help belly or rear

View my Photos
treeman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-12-12          33786

Thanks for the info! Them are the mowers I was looking at Steve. I mow 6 to 7 acres now with a 20hp garden tractor with a 60" deck. It seems like just when I get done I have to start over. Fieldmower....The county mowed my ditch with a flail mower and I could not believe how clean it looked. The ditch had not been mowed all summer and was being taken over by ragweeds. That ditch looked like it had been vaccuumed it was so clean. Isn't it a pain to sharpen all those blades? Someone said that they are heavy also. thanks again! ....

help belly or rear

View my Photos
fieldmower

2001-12-13          33789

yes, it is only time consuming to remove 50 knive and replace or resharpen, but and again, these mower are used hundreds of hours by the 'state' mowing over junk all year long. do you thing you could possibility wear it out, i havent done it in 9 years.... and i mow 10 acres and it look like a yard when i am done, no extra time and no wind rowing of the grass like a brush hog or rear discharge mowers. Yes they weight more, but they will out last a underslung mower on your tractor. AND alot safer if children /pets are around, they don't 'throw' objects like a rotary mower does, they chop it up.
There is more value to the dollar. from my experience. ....

help belly or rear

View my Photos
BeeFarmer

2001-12-13          33792

I think I have an answer for you!! I have tried them all.... I have many many trees... let's say I have an orchard! I was going to buy a tractor... specifically a supersteer compact... so I brought one out to the house with a belly mower on it and a loader. The belly mover did fine and around the trees I did pretty good as long as I could stay away from the limbs! Most of my property is smooth enough that the loader wasn't an issue with the belly on. However, I was trying to kill two birds with one stone... I needed a good lawn mower one that goes around trees and I wanted a compact tractor. Well... you can't get both .. I don't care what anyone esle says... with a finish mower being pulled behind which I have used you can break your neck watching it as you go around the trees and you really don't get close... although if you aren't in a hurry you can get pretty close if you like backing up a lot. I like my yard to look nice but I don't like to spend all day cutting it 5 Ac. So I decided that If I bought the tractor I wouldn't be happy as it really wasn't a lawn mower and if I bought the lawnmower I wouldn't have a tractor...

Well.. To make a long story a bit shorter I decided that I would spend the money for a good mower JD 935 and save my money to get a compact tractor in the future. In my personal situation I made a good decision. By the way my brother in-law has a NH 33 with super steer and he does the inlaws house .. I have to use the 935 to go around all the trees and areas where he can't get...... It is about 4 AC.. we get it done fast both of us.. but it is alot of money in equipment to cut grass...

On another note... my brother in-law cut down just about all his trees and the ones he didn't cut down he pruned the hell out of the limbs!!!

Just my thoughts...

help belly or rear

View my Photos
treeman

2001-12-13          33794

Field mower- please tell me more. What kind of flail mower do you have? How often do you have to replace or sharpen your blades? Is it a tough job to do so? Is it louder to operate? Beefarmer- I test drove the NH MC35 front deck mower a few days ago. It operated very nice but compared to a compact tractor it has small tires. I'm trying to get larger tires so I get a better ride. I have 629 trees I'm mowing around. They are planted on a grid so I mow east-west one time, then when it needs mowing again, I mow north-south. And yes, I must think of the limb problem. Thank you for your imput. ....

help belly or rear

View my Photos
fieldmower

2001-12-14          33811

i just purchased 918H ( weights 900lbs ) takes 35 hp to run, that is why i am going to buy a tc40d, and its a 90" cut. cut my mowing time in half from a 5' brush hog ( with real sharp blades ) I sharpen the knives once every 4 years on my old one. but i am only mowing 10 acres. probably could go 6-7 years if i really wanted...
I wanted a mower for the next 10 years or two tractors....
I like the fact that the flail mower does not have a 'TAIL SWING' like the finish mower/brush hogs... and yes you have to turn your head to mow... If you purchase the 918L it weights only 300 lbs... but built alot lighter also.. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login