Go Bottom Go Bottom

Striping Mower

View my Photos
Trae McConnell
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-05-03          27737

I was wondering if anyone knew of a mower that I could attach to a JD 4200 that would do striping.Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Striping Mower

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-05-04          27750

I presume by 'striping' you mean a mower deck that will leave the striped patern like you see on a baseball diamond. This is not anything special, any 3 blade rotary deck will give you this look. Best of luck. ....

Striping Mower

View my Photos
Don M

2001-05-05          27785

Murf, the deck needs a full-width set of rollers to do the kind of striping he wants. You could look at a Simplicity garden tractor deck and add something like that to the back of a 3PT finish mower. ....

Striping Mower

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-05-07          27840

I beg to differ Don, but all of our 3 spindle mowers do that also. Come on over to the house and I'll show you, the beers on me even!! LOL ....

Striping Mower

View my Photos
Trae McConnell

2001-05-08          27912

Murf, what type of grass do you have? We have common bermuda and it doesnt show the stripes when we use 3 blade spindle mower
Trae ....

Striping Mower

View my Photos
Rod

2001-05-09          27952

I have a belly mower, 3 blades. I can get the 'ball park look' with my grass. Mostly 'orchard grass' with some Kentucky Bluegrass around the house where seeding was done post construction. I mow a different direction each time I mow. Length wise, diagonal left, diagonal right, width wise. My neighbors continue to 'laugh' at my anal retention, but everytime I set out on the deck, I can smell the ball park dogs. ....

Striping Mower

View my Photos
Murf

2001-05-11          28047

Trae, you point out something I often over-look, and I apologize for it, as I sit here looking out the office window past my monitor at the vast expanse of green grass and multi-hued flowers (mostly tulips still), it is very easy to forget that I am connected to a truly global world. We here in southern Canada have a blend of Bluegrass, Fescue and Rye. Bermuda grass does require a lot more coaxing to yield the 'stripe' effect because it is so course. With the grass we have you can accomplish designs with just a rake, never mind a mower. I can relate to Rods comments too, I even go to the extent of sowing perennial flowers in patterns in the grass, each flower with a different season, right now I have a very nice 3 sided design (a stylized Trillium, our Provincial flower) in the lawn, in what else?, Trilliums!! Another neat trick is underwater pots in the pond, arranged in a design and filled with water-lillies so that they bloom into a pattern. Too much time..... maybe? But I call it advertising, what the heck. Best of luck. ....

Striping Mower

View my Photos
Tom Fischer

2001-05-12          28074

I think Don M is correct. I have rotary mowers, reel mowers (with guage rollers) and a flail mower (with a large guage roller). The rotary mowers leave a some striped look, but you really need rollers or some other kind of weight to get the sharp stripe that you see in a ball park.

Here's a new type of . Don't know how well it works. ....

Striping Mower

View my Photos
Tom Fischer

2001-05-12          28075

Sorry, here's the link ....

Link:   Dixie Chopper

Striping Mower

View my Photos
RW GRANT

2002-10-16          43871

Roller decks are necessary to produce the "striping" effect. After the blades of the deck pass over and cut the grass the rear rollers slightly bend the grass blades in the direction of mower travel. When you alternate direction of travel with each pass you get the striping effect. The older Simplicity and Ariens decks are especially good at it. Have a good one, guys! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login