Go Bottom Go Bottom

bush hog finish mower RDTH60 cutting problems

View my Photos
gendoc1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2016-07-01          195426

I bought a used rdth60 in good shape to cut my 3 acre open field of centipede. i use it every other week and it cuts poorly....the grass gets about 10-12" high and i have to adjust the deck to max height. i have noticed the belt slipping so i have tighten it several times.
i cut the grass mostly when its early morning and its wet.

it leaves patches of torn grass so i looked at the blades and appear to be ok but could use to be sharpend.

i have ordered new belt, blades and idler pulley...
i will be installing them next weekend.
hopefully this will remedy the problems

does anyone think of another reason it is not cutting
right, other that the height i'm cutting at or wet grass ??

never had a problem with my BH rotary mower....
i'm just new to the finish style mower.

thanks, any info will be appreciated !!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2016-07-05          195432

Quote:
Originally Posted by gendoc1 | view 195426
[QUOTE=gendoc1;195426]
I bought a used rdth60 in good shape to cut my 3 acre open field of centipede. i use it every other week and it cuts poorly....the grass gets about 10-12" high......

it leaves patches of torn grass so i looked at the blades and appear to be ok but could use to be sharpend.

[/QUOTE]

You answered your own question..

You're trying to cut a foot of heavy wet grass with a mower designed to cut no more than one half the length of the blade of grass. Add to that you have the mower raised up so the blades are unable to create the vacuum and airflow that normally fires the cuttings clear and you have exactly what you're seeing.

A standard rotary cutter has a single set of very heavy blades that use brute force to slice through long grass. A finish mower like what you have now is designed to delicately cut the short grass even shorter.

Go back to a rotary cutter or cut more often and you will have no problem.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
cutter

2016-07-05          195433

Agree 100% with what Murf stated in his reply. A local dealer loaned me a three point hitch finish mower to use while he had my finish mower in for exchange. I tried it in an area which had already been cut with my Bush Hog and even that was too much for the finish mower. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2016-07-05          195434

I bought a used rdth60 in good shape to cut my 3 acre open field of centipede. i use it every other week and it cuts poorly....the grass gets about 10-12" high and i have to adjust the deck to max height. i have noticed the belt slipping so i have tighten it several times.

I have a new first question, you are 100% sure you have blades on the mower that are rotating with the cutting edge and not where the back of the blade or the none cutting edge is leading? I have used Bush Hog brand and Oregon and both cut good but the Bush Hog is heavier and will last longer.

My first question having had yard with very good centipede and still cut my mother in laws yard with centipede is why do you let it grow that tall? Here for centipede does not grow blades that tall only seed heads. I have used and still do with mother in laws yard use a Bush Hog rear finishing mower but side discharge and it does a fine job but it is cut at same height as we do with regular mower as all finishing mowers are set at shame height so any combo works together for us.

Again based upon centipede here if I were to cut that grass at the highest setting on my Bush Hog RFM all it would be cutting is the grass seed heads and if you are not cutting it as full rpms (mine requires 540) it will not do a good job. My nephew when he moved here was having issues with his RFM till he finally understood it had to run the 540 rpm to get the tip speed. Again if you are only cutting seed heads that is hard for me with centipede, I do not care the brand of mower or the exact deck height. There are light enough they will lay down or mover over especially when it is dry. BUT I have never cut centipede that high and without looking it up it is a very low growing grass (leaves as it is a creeper)again here. That is why it is by far the most common lawn here, my guess is three or four to one to anything else.

On total aside had supper (southern term of the evening meal) with one of my wife's cousins Saturday from Alabama. Located near Auburn University. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login