Go Bottom Go Bottom

Right Size Rear Finish mower for 45HP Tractor

View my Photos
fireman14
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2014-02-23          189160

I have a chance to buy a 5ft. finish mower.i no it is rear discharge but I cant remember the brand of it. I have a long 2360 and I use a 6ft. rotary cutter. And I was wondering if it would be small. it wont be as wide of the outside edge of my rear tire's. I can get for $500.00 so would it still work or should I wait for a 6ft or 7ft?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2014-02-24          189170

Brand is important but condition probably more so. Be sure brand does have parts support.

Rear discharge was design I thought I wanted and dealer who I bought from was telling me how bad the clipping look as it will cut and discharge with no recut due to that design. I understand the rear discharge to look good must really but cut often to prevent tall grass and large clippings.

The width compared to your tractor to me will depend on how level your lawn (what ever you plan to cut) is with real level will handle wider mower but not level needs narrow mower. Also how will you trim or make final cut with if not the RFM. Advantage of narrow mower is you will not cut down shrubs or such as you forget the mower extends past the tire but that should be only short time learning curve there.

If I am reading the model number your tractor is about 60 hp, to me that is a lot of hp to run a 5 foot finishing mower and may be a lot of weight to put on finish lawn. I have used that much hp with a 6 foot with ok results but bought smaller lighter tractor to keep weight off of lawn.

As to the price, I have a good Bush Hog Brand 6 foot side discharge about 12 years old in very good condition. Gave some thought to selling it last fall and dealer said price it at $1,000. Little lower than I thought but here there are so many zero turns replacing the rfm. Decide for that price and as it does not eat and have large area around pond, would keep it for that and save the wear on my Zero Turn.

God Bless, KT ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2014-02-24          189178

If that is in good condition on a good brand like Landpride that is not much to pay so I see your interest.

KT has some great insight in his post.

Besides being nice to be wider than wheel tread, but not a deal breaker by any means. Most people look at mower width as a factor in determining how long it will take to mow what acreage.

So if you have up to 2.5 acres you will be happy with this deck. Any bigger and you will be wishing you had the biggest your tractor can handle, if it is 60HP it can handle a lot larger deck, ....

View my Photos
fireman14

2014-02-24          189191

Thanks for input my tractor is 45hp. I will be using it to mow a field that is around 2.5 to 3 acres. So weight is not that important because I will not be using it on my lawn. the field if flat no hills.So is 45hp good for a 5ft. rfm? thanks again for input. I will find out what brand it is. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2014-02-24          189192

It's almost twice the HP needed :-) ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2014-02-25          189204

I had an 84 inch Landpride side discharge RMF for my 4310 Deere, (32-33 hp), It was an excellent machine, covered the wheel tracks of the tractor, but just too wide to do much front yard type finish work. Our front yard wasn't a pool table level yard so it just didn't do as nice a job as a narrower mower would have.
I did use it for field edge mowing, road ditch mowing, and field waterway mowing.
I'm guessing it was ten years old when we had our auction it brought $1,500.00

Frank.

View my Photos
greg_g

2014-02-25          189205

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman14 | view 189160
I have a chance to buy a 5ft. finish mower.i no it is rear discharge but I cant remember the brand of it. I have a long 2360
I'd pass on the five footer, especially if it's no wider than your rear track. It makes trimming close to trees/buildings/fencelines impossible. I used an 84" First Choice rear discharge behind my 45hp. Excellent combination. Neither tractor nor mower was strained in the least.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
tmorelock

2014-02-26          189245

I have a 1920 New Holland with front end loader and several implements, with Turf Tires, front and rear. My finish Mower is a 72 inch Woods, which is awesome, then I have a woods bushhog that is a 60 inch. When I use the 60" bushhog it just does a terrible job, due to the width of my rear tires. I would not suggest buying any mower that is not at least as wide as your rear tire paths, but mine is only an opinion. I would spend just a little more and get the wider cut, because that way you know exactly what it will look like. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login