Go Bottom Go Bottom

Ford 930a 48 Finish mower - NEED PTO Shaft

View my Photos
bmlekki
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2012-08-13          184634

Hello, I got a used Ford 930a with a Suzue 150 4x4, and the finish mower did not have the pto drive line with it.

I didnt see any information in the manual for the 930a of the shaft length, and replacement part shops dont seem to carry the drive line. Does anyone have some info or advice as to what closed length this pto should be?

Thanks,
Brian

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2012-08-13          184640

Brian,

PTO drive shafts are mostly generic in nature. You can purchase a new one at most any Tractor Supply store, or from somewhere on the internet.

With the mower attached to your tractor, measure the distance from the locking groove on your tractor's PTO shaft to the locking groove on the mower's gear box shaft.

This is a general length. You may need to cut your PTO shaft to proper length......so long as you don't purchase one that is too short. Always start with a PTO shaft that is a bit longer than you actually need.

PTO shafts are designed to closely match the power output from your tractor's engine. A very heavy PTO shaft can get expensive and unnecessary in your case, so size it correctly to your engine's horsepower output.

You'll also need to know what type of connection you have on each end of the PTO shaft. Your tractor should have a 1-3/8" x 6-spline shaft.....or standard 540 PTO shaft.

The mower may have an identical shaft on the gearbox, but you'll need to make sure.

Once you determine which connection types you have, you're all set. Check the following link for a shaft that matches your needs.

Hope this helps.

Joel ....

Link:   Surplus Center PTO shaft selection list

View my Photos
P3t3rT
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2012-08-13          184642

Thank you This is very helpful. I am winning on two fronts I have had the broken shaft repaired by a local metal smith It looks strong and good and is now fitted. I also have found FGM Claymore who can supply replacement parts and I have purchased a new replacement
Kind Regards
Peter ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login