belly mower vs. rear mower: Grooming Mowers Finish Mowers  -- Tractor Attachments Implements 3ph Discussion Forum and Review belly mower vs. rear mower: Grooming Mowers Finish Mowers -- Tractor Attachments Implements 3ph Discussion Forum

discussion   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   photos   |   email   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Grooming Mowers Finish Mowers Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | 4 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 03-26-2007, 14:36 Post: 140753
tuolumne

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 belly mower vs. rear mower

Hello,
I will be purchasing a utility tractor in the medium size range such as a JD 3520. What sort of finish mower is more versitle? I have used garden tractors with belly mowers, and well understand the difficulty of getting around trees and such. Most of my experiance is with a 48" JD walk behind and an xMark 54" walk behind. I have never used a rear finish mower, only various brush cutters over the years. My property could have as much as 2 acres of mowing, with some trees, buildings etc. Will I be more happy with a belly mount or a rear mower for this task? Is one easier to mount than another?

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Technorati | Furl | Stumble This

03-26-2007, 15:28 Post: 140755
kthompson

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

I have never used a belly mower on a tractor but think you will find installing the belly mower not as easy and it may be in the way for some other jobs so the need to remove. At same time think you will find the grass being cut before the rear tires and their weight are on it and better view on where the mower is to be advantages.

A rear mower allows you to back under limbs or over a ditch a belly mower probably would not. The selection of belly mowers will be much less than rear mount. Of course your tractor has to be made for a belly mower.

If you go with a rear mount be sure you don't buy bigger than the tractor will handle horse power wise but you will want one that does extend as least as wide as your wheels. If I were purchasing a rear mount mower I would want one with rear discharge so you can trim with either side.

There are many here who use belly mowers and am sure they will point out more difference or correct any of my mis guided thoughts. Have fun and cut a lot of grass. kt

03-26-2007, 15:52 Post: 140756
Murf

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

IMHO, the question of MMM or 3pth mower is better answered by what ELSE you plan on doing with the tractor.

As Kenneth mentioned, putting a MMM on & off can be a real PITA, so if your 'to do list' includes a lot of FEL or other heavy work, a MMM could be a real pain.

I'm personally more of the opinion that anything bigger than a sub-compact, or at least very small compact, is a real compromise for finished turf maintenance. If it's not anything more than just plain ole 'keep it cut' work, no problem, but if appearance or speed is an issue, then you should be looking at a dedicated pro-style grass getter.

The other thing is cost, I think you will find a BIG price difference between a MMM and a 3pth machine. In fact a buddy of mine bought a real nice used front deck commercial unit with a 3cyl. diesel for less than the dealer wanted for a MMM for his machine. Now he flies through the grass, and doesn't rack up hours doing 'non tractor' work.

Best of luck.

03-26-2007, 16:12 Post: 140758
kthompson

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Adding to Murf, I have a 27 hp Kubota with hydrostat trans and a 72 inch rear finishing mower. It takes 2 hours to cut our yard. I have a 52 inch z turn with a 20 or so hp engine and I cut it in 1 1/2 hours with it. My z turn and the rear finishing mower are the same brands with many of the same parts on the deck and doing the cutting. 25 per cent savings in time with a 20 inch narrower deck. Our yard is 2 acres with about 40 or so trees or beds to cut around. A lot of runs 200 plus feet long. kt

03-26-2007, 20:00 Post: 140763
greg_g

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

I know JD makes mid-mount mowers that will fit the 3520. But I personally wouldn't consider a mid-mount on a tractor that big. 37 horsepower just seems wasted to me on a mid-mount. Not to mention that you'll be running well over 3000 pounds of tractor/operator/POL over the top of the mower deck every time you want to mount/dismount the thing.

//greg//

03-26-2007, 22:12 Post: 140767
loiseau

Hi, personally i think the rear mower is more versatil.

03-26-2007, 22:41 Post: 140771
bvance

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

I have a BX2230 with a MMM with a FEL and have had no problems using the FEL with the MMM attached. I have never taken the mower off unless to service it. You have to be a bit careful when using the FEL in some rougher terrain, but if one has a sub-cut how many times will you be in really rough situations or terrain?

Most average folks that buy a sub-cut aren't on construction sites but more normal 2-5 acre tracts where a MMM is very useful and versatile. It seems to me attaching and removing a rear mount mower would be a whole lot more hassle as you have to put it on or take it off almost every time you mow with it as opposed to just leaving the MMM on and going about your chores.

Just my experiences....but nothing is ever perfect...life is always full of trade-offs.

Brian

03-26-2007, 23:25 Post: 140772
greg_g

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

I have every expectation to see belly mowers under SCUTs. After all - and no offense Brian, but - many of them really do look like oversized riding mowers. Except that the JohnDeere 3520 is by no stretch of the imagination a SCUT. It's a ton and a half machine powered by 37 turbocharged horsepower. In my mind, a belly mower just ain't right.

//greg//

03-27-2007, 00:14 Post: 140773
bvance

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Greg....my bad. I saw he was mowing 2 acres and talking about a walk-behind and didn't read close enough that he was talking about a much bigger machine than my pretend tractor Smile

Brian

03-27-2007, 07:50 Post: 140774
tuolumne

Filter by User

Thanks everyone for the input. I talked to a dealer yesterday, and it looks that the price for a mid PTO and mower would exceed that of a decent commercial job. I'm still wondering whether to get the mid PTO for other applications down the road.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | 4 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Grooming Mowers Finish Mowers Forum

Thread 140753 Filter by Poster:
AnnBrush 1 | Art White 3 | bvance 3 | cutter 5 | greg_g 3 | Iowafun 1 | kthompson 6 | loiseau 1 | Murf 5 | SG8NUC 4 | sugarmaple 1 | tuolumne 3 |

Most Viewed

+ Belly Mower vs. Rear Finishing Mower
+ Farm King Mowers-any good?
+ How to replace Kubota B7100HST Mower deck belt
+ Ford 8N belly mower
+ john deere 3 point mower
+ Mid mount mower for JD 755-855-955 tractor
+ asking price for a Woods rd6000
+ Imatch compatible
+ King Kutter Finish Mower?
+ belly mower vs. rear mower

Most Discussion