Go Bottom Go Bottom

Dixie Choppers

View my Photos
BillMullens
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-07-27          132713

Tractor Guys,

Anybody use a Dixie Chopper? I saw a video and display once, and it looked good, but never see any in use.

My situation is I'm going to be in charge of mowing the family farm. There is an apple orchard and grape vines, several other trees, about 2 acres of smooth lawn, fencelines, several buildings, and another 3 acres or so of fields. I'll be using a farm tractor and bush hog for the near future, but wouldn't mind something more maneuverable and with a better quality of cut.

I'll be looking for something fast and comfortable to leave there...no hauling it around.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Bill

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Dixie Choppers

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-07-27          132714

Bill,

The dealership where I purchased my Bush Hog ZTR also carries the Dixie Chopper. One of their guys who does a lot of work with Golf Courses uses a Dixie Chopper and is pleased with it. The dealership seems to be very pleased with the service they are getting form those machines. It is my understanding they starting carrying them in addition to the Bush Hog as they cost less. They do offer a lot of models.

As to the speed they tell you they will cut at, it sure better be a smooth lawn.

Our yard is much like you described and my ztr cut my mowing time by 25% plus decreased the amount of trimmer work. I was using tractor and RFM. ....

Dixie Choppers

View my Photos
BillMullens

2006-07-27          132719

How do you like that Bush Hog ZTR?

I do have a BH dealer in town, and have sat on the ZTR and made "vroom-vroom" noises a few times.

Thanks,
Bill ....

Dixie Choppers

View my Photos
Murf

2006-07-27          132720

Bill, when I read "another 3 acres or so of fields", I think just what Kenneth stated, "it sure better be a smooth lawn"!!

As you know we cut a *lot* of grass, when I have people ask me, "You're in the grass business, what should I look for in a mower?" my answer is always the same.

BIG WHEELS!!!!

Those little caster wheels (usually 4" tires) on most ZTR mowers are just brutal on anything but the flatest of ground. If they don't shake you to death, they will the mower itself!!

After trying just about everything out there I have sort of come to the following conclusions;

- FMM 3 wheelers, about the best all-round choice, big wheels, big power, nice cut, very manueverable, reasonable price.

- FMM ZTR's, fast cut, highly manueverable, but they will shred a lawn in the hands of a rookie, nice cut, expensive.

- FMM 4 wheelers, fast cut, option of 4WD, manueverable, but not as much as the 2 above, cab option available, probably most expensive of all, but potentially a year-round machine.

I hope this sheds some light on it for you Bill.

My best advise would be, find a good used 3 wheeler FMM like the Ferris Pro-cut or Toro, give it a try for a year, if it is not what you want you can likley sell it for at least what you paid for it, then buy what you like, once you have a real feel for what you need and / or like. If you do like it, you still have the option of keeping it, or selling it (again for what you paid) and buying a new one the same.

Best of luck. ....

Dixie Choppers

View my Photos
Peters

2006-07-27          132724

Murf In response to item 4 the FMM 4 wheel I noticed that McCormick has a unit on their pictures rolling on their home page. It looks similar to the Antonio Carraro units, but I can find no details. Any enlightenment Murf the grass guru.

Dixie Choppers

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-07-27          132727

Bill,

I have the Estate version and my brother has the commerical version. HP per inch of cut is the same for our two machines. I think without a doubt we each would buy our machine again.

With having my B 2710 Kubota and 72 inch RFM I went with the lighter model from Bush Hog. It sits lowers so less limb interference than the commercial model. When we bought it we (my wife and I) thought it would be mostly trimming but we hardly use the tractor any more unless we are cutting all yards at same time. (We cut about four acres most weeks, some about 5 1/2).

The model I bought max ground speed is about 7 mph. The commercial model is 10 to 12. Unless you have smooth, long, straight ways 7 mph is plenty fast. I think Dixie Chopper tells their's will run up to about 20 mph.

One reason we both locked onto the Bush Hog brand is the spindles they use. Same spindles they use on all their finishing mowers except the bat wings. I have many acres on their spindels with no failures but I do keep them greased. ....

Dixie Choppers

View my Photos
Murf

2006-07-27          132728

Eric, you are absolutely correct, on two points, McCormick does have a series of small, reverseable staion machine much like the Carraro's, with a 37 -54hp range, and yes, their site is woefully lacking in information.

This is on purpose, they want you to either fill out the form to have a brochure sent to you, or visit your local dealer and get it in person.

Beyond that I am as in the dark as you are, LOL. I saw them at the last farm show I was at, but didn't stop because they aren't a priority to me.

I can tell you though, history shows this style of machine is tradionally more expnsive than a comparable CUT, and unless you have a very specific use which would require that type of versatility, it's a very expensive luxury. I have a client who has the Carraro reverseable with a boom-mounted mower on it for cutting the sides of the long laneway into the course through a forest. Even the owner admits it's about a toss up for cost compared to spending a crowd of labourers in there with line trimmers.

In his case the deciding factor was the ability to use it for year-round use.

Best of luck. ....

Dixie Choppers

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-07-27          132732

My NH dealer sells Dixies. They want a small fortune for them for what you get, I feel. Small tires and engines are one, though they do offer a small diesel. They just don't look durable when compared to say a Skag zero turn. Sakgs are the commercial guy's mower of choice, and they're about the same price. New Holland makes some nice looking mowers but they're pricey too. I could be wrong but I though my dealer showed me a book of all the different attachments Dixies offer when you remove the deck. That's another thing the decks can be powered vertically to alloww service and not take up floor space. Decks are supposedly easily removed for the other attachments including snow blowers and push blades. ....

Dixie Choppers

View my Photos
BillMullens

2006-07-27          132735

There used to be a Grasshopper dealer around here too; are they another manufacturer or part of another company?

Thanks for all of the advice. The ground is not rocky or extraordinarily rough; what I'm looking for is something faster than the Allis lawn mower we've been using, but more maneuverable and better cut than the Massey with Bush Hog. I hope to save time not so much with more speed (I'm mowing in high range, 1st and 2nd gear) but with similar speed and more efficiency.

The little Allis has been a great lawn mower, it is just slower than molasses in February.

I'll look at all the options and I have a long time before purchase. Never thought about a FMM, I'll look at those too.

Thanks,
Bill ....

Dixie Choppers

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-07-28          132743

Bill,

The area I live in grass cutting is more than just a summer deal. There are a lot of commercial companies in the lawn care business. Saying that to tell you there are many dealerships within 25 miles. Toro, Grasshopper, Bush Hog, Ferris, Great Dane, JD, NH, Kubota, Snapper, Cub Cadet, Husky,the list goes on. For me the Estate line of Bush Hog was the right machine. It is as heavy built as some of the commercial models, but at much lower price. That machine does not use the same drive pumps and such as does the commercial models but is suppose to hold up well.

Grasshopper is different company than Dixie Chopper. The best I remember they offer attachements for some of their machines. Dixie Choppers are made in Indiana and Grasshoppers not sure.

Scag mowers have lost a lot of market share here with the zturns. I failed to find the support (dealership) I wanted to buy one.

A flip up deck would be a plus for service work. My Bush Hog does not have that but a simple floor jack solved that issue. Some mowers have sealed spindles and I found some you greased from under the deck, a real issue to me. Some brands run the belts twisted from the motor which makes no sense to me.

Bill, I looked at your info and wonder did you get the tractor out of the bog or did you just finish burying it? LOL

You said you wanted a better cut than you are getting. I see you have a KK RFM. I have a Bush Hog RFM and the cut with that is the same, great. But you say you are using a "bush hog" which I take to mean a rough cut machine. If you are not getting a lawn quality cut with the KK RFM I suspect something is not right there.

With your NH you probably don't need to invest in a lawnmower of the price level to allow all sorts of attachements.
Hope I have helped. God Bless,

Dixie Choppers

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-07-28          132744

Another option is reel-type gang mowers. For a gang approach or at a least two or three mowers at a time, consider using a towable unit with it's own engine and offset to one side or the other. They're not good for doing any kind of backing up though. Add another mower to the other side and you could cut up to 12-15' at a time. And they don't cost a whole heck of a lot either, about $800 each. TSC sells them ....

Dixie Choppers

View my Photos
BillMullens

2006-07-28          132753

Well, I couldn't get my NH out of the swamp; a neighbor pulled me out with his old gray Ferguson.

For sure the NH with my KK finish mower would be about as fast (after the first few cuttings, anyway) and do a better job. But the farm is a few miles away. I don't want to get into towing my NH up there to mow; we use a MF 135 diesel to mow and garden with at the farm. It is a Bush Hog Squealer that I mow with now. The quality of cut isn't a big issue; I'm basically happy with it. It is the mowing around all of the trees and buildings that makes me wish for a dedicated lawn mower. The way it is quite a bit is left unmowed around each tree and building. Eventually we'll be tearing down some buildings, cutting trees, clearing fencelines, and hopefully cutting some timber. This is also where I raise my pumpkins every year; I'm hoping to generate enough revenue to be able to afford to buy a few things and fix the place up some. I hope to move up there someday, just not right away.

With prices of new units the way they are, I'd probably be looking used, but would still prefer to buy something that is sold nearby for dealer support if needed.

I've thought about the gang mowers before; it would sure knock the fields out fast, but ruled them out because of mowing around the orchard and house.

Thanks,
Bill ....

Dixie Choppers

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-07-28          132754

Bill,

What about a RFM for the farm with a small mower for triming? My step father had a 3 wheel mower that was a zero turn totally different than those out there today that was low cost, very simple, very compact and low cost. Have no idea who made it but it was a tricyle design with front wheel drive and it turned 360 degrees. Cut was like 25 inches. Great for trimming.

Have no idea who made them.

Dixie Choppers

View my Photos
Murf

2006-07-28          132755

Bill, one of the myths that seem to prevail with mowers is the need for ZTR, any commercial 3 wheeler will turn so tight it will fire you out of the seat if you're not careful.

The only time you need ZTR is to make a U-turn, for cutting around a tree, a 'regular' 3 wheeler will cut as tightly around it as you need, or more.

Also, with a ZTR, the deck is normally below your feet, with a 3 wheeler, it is completely in front of your feet. Since you are not a groundskeeper, you don't care if you can only fit 2 machines on the trailer instead of 3 because they're shorter.

What you *do* care about likely though is that the 3 wheeler allows you to cut grass some 4' in front of you, this because the deck is *in front* of you, so if you have trees you need to cut under, this maens you can stuff the deck 4' under the tree branches before you get a face full of tree.

Not that it matters much for a homeowner, but a 3 wheeler climbs obstacles (curbs, etc.) going forwards just by lifting the deck (flip of a switch) but a ZTR requires you to turn around (twice, once to climb, once to continue on) to do the same thing.

YOu should be able to find a good used Toro or Ferris 3 wheeler for about $1500 or less. For personal use, I doubt you would live long enough to wear out even a used machine.

Best of luck. ....

Dixie Choppers

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-07-28          132756

Bill,

Just after I sent the post above a friend came into my office and we talked about the mower. He said Rural King (a small chain store in center of county) sold them also. He had no idea the name of the company either.

What Murf said through out this on used mowers probably is great advice. Just what I have seen in the used market is normally passed used here. More like worn out.

The one question that comes to my mind is width. Just be sure the width (and length) of what you can use before you buy. I went with a 52" deck thinking that was very safe and found some places it did not fit. Good reason to get ride of some shrubs.

You sure have not said anything along the line of a 3 wheel push string trimmer, but that is the only grass cutting machine I have ever use that I wish I have never seen.

The other idea is mower for your ATV. What no ATV? Might be the reason to buy one! LOL Have seen those with a cutting deck out front.

Wish you well in your hunt.

Dixie Choppers

View my Photos
BillMullens

2006-07-28          132757

The FMM idea appeals to me; the same thing applies to my NH tractor with the 3ph finish mower. I can reach things with it (going backwards in this case) I couldn't with a mid-mount. Not the reason I bought it, but it is an advantage for the type of mowing I do.

I agree that a used commercial unit would outlast me. We have found that to be true for every farm tractor we've ever had; these Appalachian hills just don't have enough acreage to wear one very much. The NH is the only new tractor I've had (or plan to have).

Are the ZTR mowers really as light in the front end as I've heard? One thing that turned me off of them originally was that they wouldn't climb a very steep bank; and couldn't tow even a small trailer.

Thanks,
Bill ....

Dixie Choppers

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-07-28          132760

My ZTR is not light on the front end. This may vary with brand. As to climbing a steep bank, I can run right up about 30 to 45 degree fine. Now, let it be wet and you may not. As to pulling a trailer, have no idea but would think it could pull a lawn trailer fine. If you were to, do not install any hitch behind the rear guard on one as you will be hitting stuff when turning.

My only suggestion between the front mower and the ztr is where you will be cutting. I don't doubt with a single tree you can turn the large fmm around it fine. I have a double row of tress for privacy those mowers would never manuever around. I don't have trees or schrubs that cutting even two feet under would be needed that has low limbs. I think you will find the ztr can turn around in it's own lenght. As with any machine lenght can be a plus or negative. Longer normally rides smoother, but takes more room to turn.

The stand on ztrs, I do not like. I think you would find them unstable.

Bill, don't mind asking for let me try it first. Best way to know.

Dixie Choppers

View my Photos
Murf

2006-07-28          132763

Bill, I wouldn't necessarily say a ZTR is light in the front end, mind you a tractor isn't either, but we've all heard of many of them nosing over backwards!!

A ZTR is the same. A friend (who has a commercial turf care business) and I both have some ZD28's in the fleet. I thought they were pretty stable machines and wondered if the ROPS wasn't just a little bit of overkill, after all, it's not like you can flip them over, right?? There's no rear hitch.

One of my friends young emloyees was lucky to escape with his life when he rolled one, over backwards, causing it to roll down a hil and into a pond!!! It seems he slowed down on the hillside, while cutting uphill away from the pond, to go around a tree, when he accelerated I guess he got a little to aggressive on the sticks and it was upside down and tumbiling out of control in a heart beat. Luckily the kid was belted in, and when the machine came to rest in the pond it was upright.

A clients employee was not so lucky a few years ago and rolled a CUT into a pond and he was trapped and drown. He left a wife and kids behind.

I know even with a big person in the seat of ours, full throttle and jamb the handles forward and they will do a wheelie for quite some distance!!! The machine weighs less than 1,500 pounds and most of that is over the rear wheels, and the wheelbase is less than 5' long, so with 28hp to twin HST units, it's got all kinds of take-off.

Best of luck. ....

Dixie Choppers

View my Photos
paulss
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-07-28          132765

Bill,

My situation is much like yours (3 acres to mow & another 2 to mow if I have the time and energy). After looking at all the options, I finally decided to buy a ZTR and I found a 2 year old JD 757 w/350 hours on it. I'm amazed how quickly it mows and the quality of the cut. I spent a lot of time researching ZTRs and concluded that most of the commercial models would probably last me for many years and it came down to price and the local dealer's reputation. There are a number of Forums devoted to Lawn and Turf and more info than you could read in a year.

I don't hink you could go wrong w/a ZTR, just do your homework. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login