Go Bottom Go Bottom

Front mounted mower

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-05-30          130064

For you guys with MMM and FEL I have a guestion.

Would it be possible to install a mower on your FEL and drive it either by the mid pto or hyd? I realize the tractor's hyd would not be sufficient. I also realize using the mid pto would be a danger for raising the FEL.

I am a little puzzled that is no mower for this. It sure seems to me if I had a FEL and was having to install and remove a MMM this would be a big improvement. It would allow you to mow closer to buildings and such and would be shorter than a RFM with FEL. You could use a self contained hyd pump system instead of pto if necessary.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Front mounted mower

View my Photos
JasonR
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-05-30          130065

Anything is possible.

I would guess the hurdles of the pto shaft path is the main reason why you don't see it. Additionally, that's why they make a 3PH mounted mower correct? ....

Front mounted mower

View my Photos
wingwiper
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-05-30          130067

KT

a front mounted mower would not ride the terrain as well as a behind the tractor or below the tractor. It would constantly be digging in and the only smooth operation would be when you are in reverse. ....

Front mounted mower

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-05-30          130069

WW,

They do make them or rather I guess they are different for tractors with a front 3 pt hitch and front pto. They may need a little larger front tire but they should work.

But you would need the fel to be able to fully float and that may not be possible just due to the weight. ....

Front mounted mower

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-05-30          130071

This is probably as close as you are going to come to what you want. ....

Link:   

Click Here

Front mounted mower

View my Photos
oneace

2006-05-30          130073

When I was working at the dealer ship I installed a Bradco SSL mower on the Fell of a larger utility tractor. It ended up costing more for that set up than it was worth after the pump 45 gallon 3pt mounted reservoir and the enormous amount of hose and couples needed. I will say after it was all said and done it did work very slick. ....

Front mounted mower

View my Photos
Peters

2006-05-30          130083

It all depends on the tractor. ....

Link:   Power trac

Front mounted mower

View my Photos
Peters

2006-05-30          130085

Ken; I think many CUTS did not have enough hydraulic pump capacity a few years ago. You need at least 20 gpm. You could in theory mount on the universal skid steer attachment and then use a unit like the Bobcat one. I think this is what Oneace was taking about? ....

Link:   Bobcat

Front mounted mower

View my Photos
oneace

2006-05-30          130092

Yes that is what I was talking about. The problem you will you into with out a separate pump is when you try to move the loader nothing will happen or the mower will stop and go every time you move the joy stick which would eventually cause either motor or pump damage. ....

Front mounted mower

View my Photos
lbrown59

2006-05-31          130112

For you guys with MMM and FEL I have a guestion.

Would it be possible to install a mower on your FEL and drive it either by the mid pto or hyd?
kthompson
=================
This is what I plan to do except the mower would have it's own power plant so that no PTO or HYD will be needed. ....

Front mounted mower

View my Photos
Murf

2006-05-31          130116

There are a few other concerns that need to be addressed also.

First and foremost is visibility, or more precisely, the lack thereof, when the mower is on the FEL you have almost none of it in sight because it's behind & below the hood.

Another big issue is manuevering, putting it that far out in front of the machine means a small adjustment in steering makes a big adjustment in the mower's path. It is very hard to cut nice straight lines, or cut into tight areas like inside corners without many back & forth runs.

The other concern is weight, both of the mower, and the FEL, in order for the mower to run properly the FEL must be set to 'float' thereby shifting a whole bunch of the FEL's weight onto the mower. This in turn means the mower frame and wheels must be VERY robust to hold it all.

If it was easy and simple people would be doing it already.

Best of luck. ....

Front mounted mower

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-05-31          130117

Power Trac video is what really got me wondering about this. I realize their tractor is designed differently at to no pto rather I think hyd oil operated attachments.

The thought of a engine on the mower would seem to be a good option.

It just seems that some body would have looked at and built this already. ....

Front mounted mower

View my Photos
lbrown59

2006-06-01          130179

It just seems that some body would have looked at and built this already.
kthompson
You would think so but there are a lot of things I could use that just are not made or manufactured.
Some things that come to mind off the top of my head are
1* rectangular instead of round plastic pipe and culvert.
2* Six and eight foot wide rolls of plastic aluminum and vinyl in fifty to 100 foot lengths.
There are several others things and I'm always coming across more. ....

Front mounted mower

View my Photos
Murf

2006-06-01          130181

Rectangular or square culverts are an easy one, they're not as strong as a round one!

If they not as strong, they also have to bve made heavier, which means they are more expensive and consume more material than is neccessary.

Round is also the simplest to make since they are roll-formed in a continous process, you can't roll a square product, which means slower production, and again, more money.

Best of luck. ....

Front mounted mower

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-06-01          130193

Murf,

I understand the things you brought up as to visiblity and such. But it would seem if you can see to use your bucket or such you should have fair line of sight for mower. As to steering, understand that but again it would seem to me as someone who has used your TLB (I remembered the proper term!) some it would seem a quick learn.

lbrown,

We all at some time of the other come across something and say why didn't I think of that when we had just did not pursure it. It often is not the best idea that makes the millions. If so many say I would be typing on a Mac. ....

Front mounted mower

View my Photos
Murf

2006-06-01          130208

Kenneth, there are some differences with a mower or bucket, generally speaking you rarely have to be precise with a bucket.

If you have the bucket down it's in a construction (or destruction) area, when is the last time you tried to get your bucket close to the petunias without having to fear the rath of SWMBO?

With a bucket you can use the location of the two outside edges and not have to worry about the part in the middle too much. But you are right, in a wide open area the linbe of sight wouldn't be as much of an issue. Around a yard with trees, flowers, and various other hazards, more so.

Best of luck. ....

Front mounted mower

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-06-01          130218

Murf,

Your argument against the front mower might prove to be a case for...not being able to see flowers? Might even prove a benefit for those who have gophers.

Question, with the floating hitch that all RFM I have seen have, would you have to have the FEL on float? It may need more movement than some of the RFM have but that would seem to solve that. ....

Front mounted mower

View my Photos
Murf

2006-06-01          130224

The FEL sticks out (even without the bucket) a good 3+' in front of the front wheels, if you take the wheelbase as being maybe 6' in length, that is a 50% overhang.

The 3pth on the other hand barely extends past the rear wheels at all.

I know if I go over much of a bump or ridge when I am plowing snow (see my pic. # 15) the subframe bottoms out on the ground, it has a 8-9" under it in the normal position, as in the picture. I would think you would need quite the floating linkage to make it work, but who knows?

Best of luck. ....

Front mounted mower

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-06-01          130227

Okay guys,

I have given up on my million dollar idea. But when some little unknown company in Korea comes out with it and sells tons of them we all can say, how do you like that?

Front mounted mower

View my Photos
Peters

2006-06-01          130231

Murf; Have you ever operated something like the Power Trac with articulated steering and front mower? How difficult are they to trim near the edge? Years ago I had a large Deere rubber tired loader with pallet forks to lift heavy pallets of wood shake blocks. I know it was a bear to get lined up as a small turn of the wheel moved the forks a long way.
Most of the commercial mowers are like you are operating the tractor in reverse, the rear wheels steering. Have you used an Antonio Carraro in reverse. ....

Front mounted mower

View my Photos
Murf

2006-06-02          130275

Peters, yes, we have a couple of Steiner 4x4s for the really steep stuff, they are pretty well balanced and don't have the mower as far out in front as the FEL on a payloader is, thus the effect is greatly reduced, but it is still there.

All the commercial mowers, be they articulated, 3 or 4 wheelers with rear wheel steering are pretty easy to trim with, and to negotiate around obstacles.

The 3 wheelers with manual steering though can be hard on fences and walls, they allow you basically snap the steered wheel into a nearly 90° turn in a split second. In the hands of a rookie this often means the rear wheel, and often the rider too, sideswipe the fence or other obstacle.

I haven't had any play time on the Carraro's but I'm told they can be a real handfull at any kind of speed, they seem to move faster than the brain is able to comprehend sometimes. LOL.

Best of luck. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login