Go Bottom Go Bottom

Weed trimmer - saw or 3-piece style blade

View my Photos
JasonR
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-05-21          129656

I'm going to purchase a blade for my Echo SRM-210 trimmer - and echo has a few different options. They have a '3-blade' head with 3 replaceable blades, and they sell the circular saw looking blades, in 8, 22 and 80 tooth configurations.

I plan on using this blade for clearing areas along my creek - which is mainly weeds, but has a few small dia trees (0.5" dia trunk max) starting to grow. Any suggestions as to which is best?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-05-21          129665

I tried a three blade head on my previous trimmer.... a POS Homelite from a big box store. It didn't work well, in fact it was sort of dangerous. The extra mass at the end of what I think was a flexible cable drive overstressed it and the stupid thing actually caught fire.

I have read since then that the cheaper drive mechanisms are not compatible with anything but a string head due to the twist and slop in the system.

My new string trimmer is a shaft drive Tanaka. It supposedly will run the swinging blade heads and the saw heads better than that Red Thing, but I haven't tried it in that mode. ....

View my Photos
JAZAK5
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-05-21          129671

They have a place ,I use the blade for heavy foilage on flat ground,around the stream I would definatly use the FLAIL head due to the ocasional rock that you WILL hit its more forgiving than the "SPWANG" your going to get with a true metal blade, I use the shinidawa plastic flial blades in my stihl flail head,they are heaverier keeping the energy better and they dont distort and lock into the head when they start to wear down. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-05-22          129678

Jason,

There are some areas here left for us to guess on as has already shown in the answers. Is rocks a problem, what kind of small trees?

I am assuming you know a string cutter will not cut what you want to, based upon your experience. I have had good success with heavy sting heads on the small tress when they are pines but not oaks or such. If you only have a very few trees that the heaviest string will not cut maybe you should just put a pair ot cutters in your pocket for them.

I have never found a blade worked well in thick weeds and grass. All clog that I have used. Based upon my use give me a very good string cutter any day unless you really need the saw tooth blade.

If you move to a metal blade be sure the harness will keep it away from you if or when it kicks back. ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2006-05-22          129682

Wrong tool for the job. Cut weeds with a weed trimmer, brush with a brush cutter. The 210 designator represents the size of the engine; 21cc. You'll quickly destroy a $200 weed trimmer by attempting to turn it into a brush cutter.

There are some extremely light duty machines being marketed as brush cutters, but all are above 25cc. Personally, I wouldn't do any serious brush cutting with anything LESS than a straight shaft 30cc.
30cc
//greg// ....

View my Photos
Art White

2006-05-22          129683

The plactic blades will take a toll on the wallet if you are working in around solid unmoveable objects like stones or walls at full throttle. The 1/2" sapplings will come down with them but with some damage but should still be able to cut. A steel blade as mentioned will be ruined by the stone in short order, some do recommend the bike handle bar system to overcome kick. When cutting larger diameter stock the three bladed head will be appreciated over the string head but on a flex or tach cable drive system you could bring it's life to an end prematurely. The solid straight shaft would be recommended. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2006-05-22          129687

I have a 22 year old Tanaka straight shaft weed/brush cutter, that I cannot kill. They don't carry them around here so I couldn't even get a replacement filter for it (had to buy some foam filtter for another use and just cut it to size).

I have a reversible saw blade that has about four edges on it, 22 years old never sharpened. Admittedly I only occasionally use the brush cutter, but it has been very durable for residential use. ....

View my Photos
DenisS

2006-05-22          129689

Jason,
I have the Echo RSM-210 trimmer and love it, I had a blade bought for it and it's a piece of crap. DO NOT bother with it. It ricochets off the saplings, gets stuck every minute, just a total aggravation. It's very ineffective, you'll be MUCH better off with a chainsaw, if you can't get to the area with a brush hog. Another option is to bulldose the small trees with the loader. Set the loader blade half an inch above the ground and take out all the weeds/trees you want. ....

View my Photos
JasonR

2006-05-22          129693

Thanks for all the feedback.

Drankin - sorry about your burned up trimmer, I'll keep that in mind when trimming.

JAZAK5 - that area I'm clearing has a rock base - so the saw blade has been eliminated.

kthompson - yep, I did enough of it last year with a string, and it took forever and didn't completely finish the job.

greg_g, Art, Dennis - thanks for the info.

Horse Farmer - this is a ditch along the road. It has a steep slope and a solid rock base, so a hand held trimmer is about the only option for me.

With all that in mind, I ordered the 3 blade attachment for the Echo. Since it's made by Echo - for that model - it shouldn't burn up the trimmer, but if it does, it'll be an excuse to get something bigger. Once the area is well cleared, I most likely go over it with some veg. killer. I'm hopeful future clearing would then be much easier with either the 3-blade or string trimmer as there shouldn't be many tree samplings.

Thanks ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-05-23          129722

"Drankin - sorry about your burned up trimmer, "

I am gradually learning that you get what you pay for and staying away from cheap crap.

Just last Saturday I drove 100 miles to look at the Woods rear finish mower and then got in the truck to drive another hour to look at a King Kutter RFM because it was a few hundred cheaper.

I didn't get a block before my better sense got a hold of me and I turned around and paid for the quality product.

There is no comparison in quality between the Homelite trimmer and the Tanaka machine.

I also got rid of my old McCullough chain saw and replaced it with a Stihl for the big stuff and a Tanaka one hander for the trimming. Again.... no comparison.

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-05-23          129723

DRankin,

There are two sayings of mine I would like to add to your experience:

You will pay for what you get, you may not get what you paid for.

There is a reason a brand name is a brand name. ....

View my Photos
JasonR

2006-05-23          129724

DRankin - I know what you are saying...

I spent more time trying to keep the chain tight on my homelight chainsaw than actually using it (or so it seemed). It's been stitting on the shelf ever since I went out and bought a Stihl - I love their no tool chain adjustment. Interestingly enough, I don't have to adjust it that often. ....

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-05-23          129734

I have a stihl fs-70 trimmer, never had the string trimmer on it. I use a circular saw blade chisel tooth made by stihl. I have cleared about 2 acres. It will cut a 3" plus tree down in seconds. You can sharpen it like a chain saw blade. I also have a stihl leaf blower and chainsaw they make great equipment. Not cheap but good. ....

View my Photos
JAZAK5

2006-05-23          129748

I exclusivly use stihl chains in my saw, they are prestretched and will out last anything else (OREGON),CARLTON ect ....

View my Photos
JasonR

2006-05-23          129749

It's interesting that you mention that. The Stihl dealer that was rather close to me went out of business. The next closest dealer was too far out of the way this past week when I needed a replacement chain. I bought an Oregon chain, and it sliced up 3 trees this past weekend like they were nothing. (I'd still prefer to use a Stihl chain, but the Oregon definately got things done.) Does anyone know a good online ordering source for Stihl chains? ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-05-23          129752

Oregon chains have been fine for me. The local Stihl dealer sells nothing but Oregon replacement chain. This is a big logging area too. I dunno. Maybe I'll order a couple Stihl chains and see if there's a difference. ....

View my Photos
DenisS

2006-05-24          129756

I've had a Stihl chain saw for three years now and it's seen it's share of use. I haven't had to tighted the chain on it for two years, but the last two times I used it, I saw it slack and had to tighten it up. Looking at the size of the shavings, the chain seems to be sharp. Could there be something wrong with my saw? ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-05-24          129760

Since this thread has been hijacked may I asked a chain saw question?

With the chain on the saw getting loose there is the stretch of the chain, the wearing of the chain, sprocket and bar that all cause that and I think are normal and may require the removal of a link.

But is not a lot of the looseness caused by the slack of the bar on the mounting bolts due to using the top of the bar and the bottom of the bar to cut with? I have never used a saw of any brand that either lifting the blade or dropping it did not tighten the chain.

Does not the longer the bar as it increases your leverage and the way you use it such as only cutting with the bottom of the bar have a lot to do with the chain being loose? I know I can tell a difference in this with my experience.

I suspect those who have great success with chain remaining tight are using shorter bar and not putting as much load against the bar due to that saw not having the teeth that give you leverage and using the bottom only of the bar. Could also be the bar on some have less movement possible due to the design.

kt GD, GB ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2006-05-24          129764

KT,

You are supposed to flip the bar to even out the wear, I have never added a link to a chain nor removed one. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-05-24          129768

Dennis,
Understand flipping the bar, I don't mean for long term wear when I mentioned using the top of the bar, rather the quick effect on the tightness of the chain.

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2006-05-24          129777

"I have never used a saw of any brand that either lifting the blade or dropping it did not tighten the chain. "

I've only noticed this when the bar is loose before tightening the two nuts. I doubt that you can put enough pressure on the bar during cutting to bend it enough to notice a slacking of the chain.

I've worn out many chains and the teeth always wear out before it stretches to the point of needing to remove a tooth. But I never over tighten my chain either. I stop just when the adjustment brings the chain into contact with the bottom of the bar and then stop. MANY people get it tight like a guitar string which only stretches it too quickly which wears out the bearings in the front idler sprocket and clutch.
Dave ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-05-24          129778

The instruction manual on my Husky saw says to always lift the tip up the bar up before tightening the nuts. I've always done that and really have no problems with chains developing slack at an excessive rate. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-05-24          129781

shortmagnum,

In reading your reply, I am not sure when I have had to have a link removed. On McCulluch's from a few years ago it was often. Not sure if bar, or chain caused this. Could have been the chain was almost too long to begin with as for those chains were put together at the local shop. ....

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-05-24          129785

KT

I have a 1987 woodboss and two years ago the Stihl dealer replaced the metal sprocket with a plastic one that only cost around $3 or $4 dollars the conversion was $30. I have not had to replace a chain since. The sprocket just slips on. I have three chains and drop two of them off to get them sharpened. No stretch of far. By the time my stretch so far to have a link removed they are pretty much worn out. ....

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2006-06-04          130422

I own a Echo brush cutter! I have always owned only one blade, the round blade that has chain saw style teeth on it. The most awesome peice of equipment I own! Its a straight shaft with a harness and it wont quit! What you cant cut in one pass you come around the other side of the tree with it and down she goes. 3-4inch trees go bye bye in about 5 seconds. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login