Go Bottom Go Bottom

Pushing the mmm to the limit

View my Photos
JasonR
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-05-19          129597

When I bought my tractor, it came with a 60" mmm. I didn't plan on using it - and I was thinking about selling it. I saw someone's pic on this board - where they had a mmm attached to the 3ph. So, I thought I might be more likely to use it if I could set it up in that configuration (seeing how a lot of the mid mount hardware comes off the tractor for the backhoe - so it's a lot more work than normal to use it in the mid mount position...)

Then, I started thinking it would be cool to use the mmm in an offset pasition to mow the edge of the creek. I thought it would be a pain going around the occasional tree or bush - so I figured the ability to rotate the deck perpindicular to the ground would solve that. Then, I realized using the mmm in the vertical position would be great for keeping the paths in the woods from getting grown over...

Anyway, I tested the prototype tonight, and it worked better than I anticipated. In the 'danger position' (perp. to the ground) - it was grinding up the bushes and throwing the pieces 10' up into the air. The design allows for the blades to keep turning while rotating the deck position. (See my pics 14, 15, 16.) A couple minor modifications and some paint and it should be a completed project. Just figured I'd pass the idea along.

Jason

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-05-19          129601

Hey, that's nice work. I can see the need for helmets and flak jackets when using it vertically. What kind of a belt are you using to drive it? I'd like to see a picture of the power drive from the rear. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-05-19          129603

"(seeing how a lot of the mid mount hardware comes off the tractor for the backhoe - so it's a lot more work than normal to use it in the mid mount position...)"

Hmmmmm..... you alluded to a question I just asked today.

I am considering getting a 60 inch MMM for my 4115 but the salesman couldn't say for sure if the MMM will conflict with the backhoe mounts or vice-versa.

Are you saying that you have to remove the MMM mounting brackets or hardware when you put the backhoe on the tractor?

I really need to know before I get too deeply into this deal.

Thanks.......

View my Photos
JasonR

2006-05-19          129606

kwschumm - shouldn't need any helmet - all of the debris is thrown away and behind the tractor, none of it came close to me. I'm in the process of stripping it down to grind the welds and paint it, so I may not get any pictures of the drivetrain soon, but the rear PTO is 540 rpm vs the 2100 rpm mid mount. Therefore, I have two sets of 4 belts (3VX belts). The first set connects to the pto shaft to a large pulley - that drives a smaller idler pulley - then that idler pulley drives an even smaller pully on the gearbos of the mmm.

dRank - I don't know 100% for sure, but the dealer made a point of asking me if I planned on using my mmm when I picked it up (with the newly install BH on it). I said no, and he appeared relieved and said it's doable, but it'll take some work to go back and forth. He had all my mmm brackets in a box, so I quite sure that they wound't have taken them all off if they didn't have to. I'll try and take a look at it tomorrow to see what it would take to put those brackets on. I can post a pic of the brackets if you'd like. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2006-05-20          129611

Jason, nice outfit! I would think it would be fine in the horizontal mode but mighty risky in the vertical mode although effective. Nice garage too! I haven't found anyone that makes a lower frame subframe for a hoe that doesn't hinder the mid mower attachment. The Case-IH, NH line does and on the 29-33horsepower units it actually lowers the ground clearance to about the same as a BX! ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-05-20          129617

Jason.... just confirming that it is extra work to swap back and forth is all I need. Thanks. ....

View my Photos
DK35vince
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-05-20          129620

Thats nice work Jason..
I like the setup you have there. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-05-20          129639

Can you use it as a ditch mower? Looks like something the County uses, but they have a ballast on the other side, which you want to consider if you find the mower wants to overturn the tractor. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-05-21          129649

I cut to the chase and bought a 3 point Woods finish mower yesterday. Thanks for the help. ....

View my Photos
JasonR

2006-05-21          129655

Art & Vince, thanks.

earthwrks, my original intend was use it as a ditch mower, but the design added a few uses. I was surprised that the tractor was fairly stable without a ballast, but I added one anyway just to play it safe.

DRankin, didn't get a chance to look at what it takes to put the mmm on, but glad to see you got your mower. What Woods model did you get? ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-05-21          129667

I went small due to scalping concerns on my uneven ground and the need to go in narrow places.

I got the 54 inch Estate Series RDC54. ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-05-22          129681

Jason,

I find using a vertical cutter I need protection on my right side. It is more often small but more of it with the flail cutter but in my opinion more dangerous with the bush hog type cutter due to larger debris. Using a finishing mower may not be as dangerous as it will not cut as large of limbs as the rough cut but ... be carefull. At least wear eye protection.

I do like what you have done.

View my Photos
JasonR

2006-05-22          129694

kthompson, thanks for the advice - eye protection is always on when I'm on the tractor doing any type of mowing. You are correct - due to the fact it is a finish mower, it doesn't throw out that much stuff on each pass. For most bushes, I have to go back and forth a few times to trim it back significatly. All the debris are very small and light. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login