Go Bottom Go Bottom

Removing blade from mower

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-03-08          125810

Talking with two lawnmower mechanices they told me their trick for removing stubborn bolt on blades that use a single bolt to hold them.

Take a heavy hammer and hit the none cutting edge of the blade in the opposited direction it cuts. That should be the direction that loosens the bolt as they are designed for the cutting to tighten the bolt.

They said you will be able to put your impact wrenchs up with this.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-03-08          125828

I've often used a solid piece of wood to hold the blade spindle from spinning. ....

View my Photos
wingwiper
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-03-09          125851

I have a 60" 3 blade mower deck on my 400, I have used a Butane flame onto the Bolt, and while heating squirt oil, and then I let it cool down, then a closed in wrench, I hold the blade with hand and my thumb is keeping the wrench on the bolt, I then have a 16 oz hammer and smack the wrench. The idea of hitting the blade sounds like a step that would have been a PLUS ....

View my Photos
Murf

2006-03-09          125856

I've heard of & seen the smack with a hammer method before, I've also seen pieces come off blades afterwards too. A chunk coming off a spinning blade is like a bullet!!

As Art mentioned, get a chunk of wood to jamb between the blade and a convenient spot on the deck.

If that isn't your preferred method then just put a screwdriver or something between the belt and pulley and turn the wrench till it stops, then tap the back of the wrench with a hammer, it usaually breaks free easily.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-03-09          125858

Murf

Many times the Bolt head is a bit rounded from hitting Vermont Rocks and with the Larger Belt drive blades it is rather hard to find a GOOD brace for wood that doesn't have slippage or give, normally it is against the front or rear of the deck housing. I know I have sworn at mine on many occassions over the years and hopefully no one is trying to take the blade off while it is spinning.......
The method I mentioned above has worked the best for me and I am aim to try to smack the blade a few times now as well, I don't know why I had never thought of that simple maneveur before. Oh Well. that is why I come here. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-03-09          125859

Murf,

Understand the concern on part of blade being knocked off, but they said hit it between the bolt and the cutting edge where the blade is as they said "thick" also would not be worn there.

As always, "THINK". If blade is damaged or worn badly then it may be dangerous and should not be done. I know, the reason for the handle you must hold on push mower to engage blade is due to people picking up running mowers and loosing their fingers and the mower company loosing the law suit.

Often the simple is over looked. This is good reason to buy bigger impact wrench. (I did too.)

View my Photos
Murf

2006-03-09          125863

Wing, those bolts are about $1 a piece, they are nothing special, just a left-hand threaded bolt.

Buy several, when you take the blade off, if the bolt is looking worn, toss it and replace it.

Bolt protectors are cheap too.

If the bolt is rounded enough you can't take it off easily, then you can't get it tight enough either.

When you end up with a blade going through the door of your car and doing $1500 in damage like my former neighbour did, you'll think that $1 bolt was priceless...

Kenneth, you're right about careless mistakes. I met a guy who had no toes on his right foot because he pulled the little mower back over his foot. He was mowing in sandals because it was too hot for boots!

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-03-09          125872

Murf

I thought the post was asking how to lossen bolts.
Did I imply to put damge bolts back on? or to run a mower with damged baldes? I thought we were talking about taking baldes off, I have had many bolts rounded because of rocks etc, I do have many in my workshop. I hope it didn't sound like I was telling someone to put the rounded bolt back in, eh? I mean, if someone is stupid enough to put a rounded bolt back in tha just posted a posted asking how to get it out, well Geez! Hello? anybody home? smile.. I am usualy changing blades when I use the method as I mentioned above.

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-03-09          125874

Guess what, some of those bolts are right handed making them even easier and less expensive. But be sure you used the proper grade.

View my Photos
Murf

2006-03-09          125879

Wing, the problem is, when you make a statement these days, it MUST be geared towards those who may not know any better.

Please don't think I was implying anything in your particular direction, it was a broad statement. In fact as I type this message the top of the screen says that including myself, there are 75 people online right now.

The problem is you can't always see a defect in a dirty piece of metal or bolt.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-03-09          125884

Murf,

"it must be greared toward those who may not know any better" I did not realize it was that obvious about me. My wife knew but thought she was keeping it quite. lol I can go out side and run tractor for a while walk back in to hear her say, what is broken or bogged down or such now. Lord I love that woman. Just wish she was not right.

You bring up a good point, I can see the new US Fed Gov. idot proof approved lawnmower with it foam blades so it will not throw rocks or shatter a blade and it flexible deck so you will not dent a bush. Of course the foam blade will be grass friendly (meaning will not harm it). It will have the Al Gore logo stamp on it for being tree friendly.

If you think that is funny wait until they put them blades on airplanes. Boy want that be a riot!

Then there will be no need to worry about bolts and blades and such.

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-03-09          125885

Whew! had me going for a minute.
I thought I had read it all wrong and was giving bad intel. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2006-03-10          125918

My father in law point blank told me he wasn't a mechanic! After being cornered at his place several times for small tasks trying to use his tools I became quite frustrated with the quality of them! Nobody could be a mechanic and use his selection! Buy good quality tools, thats the main reason some jobs become larger then they are! ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-03-10          125920

Art,
Many years ago I was at a tool auction. (First and last.)To me they were on the edge of being all junk. But during the auction they brought up a set of tools. The auctioneer stopped and said....these are junk. Do not buy them to use. Buy them to loan. They sold all of them if memory is correct. Could be your father in law was a very wise man.
I appreciate your experience very much.

View my Photos
Art White

2006-03-11          125940

I've been to a couple of those auctions and at this point I have yet to be a major supporter. There are tools that I feel are near disposable after use and the bulk of those I saw there were the lowest of quality. When trying to remove a rusted nut with an improper fitting wrench it will round out the edges of the nut as well as often hurt the operator with busted knuckles. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login