Go Bottom Go Bottom

Winter storage

View my Photos
Oliver
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-11-02          118780

I have a brush hog and a mower that I am getting ready to put away for the winter. Other than greasing everything, are there other things I should do? Most likely they will have to sit outside. Should I cover them with a tarp, set them up on pallets, or just leave them sitting in the field?

What about the gear box oil and the belts -- change the oil, loosen the pressure on the belts? All my manuals are at my new house so I don't have easy access to them. Any help and tips would be most appreciated!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Winter storage

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-11-02          118782

I would at least go with placing the cutter on pallets, greasing, I leave the belts on my MMM, if you brush hog is prone to rusting; you could mix up some 90 weight oil and diesel fuel or kerosene and spray the mix over the entire brush hog on top and underside to protect it from rust and corrosion. I coat my pto spreader in this manner. Just be careful not to get any on the slip clutch. I would suggest removing the pto shaft and slip clutch for storage indoors if possible. A tarp or storage under a pole barn or one of those $695 metal car ports would be a good idea. I am not real keen on tarps as they tend to trap moisture. I would also preface all of this by first giving the equipment as thorough a cleaning as possible removing any debry & clippings from the top deck. ....

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login