Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 260 grooming mower

View my Photos
tcary6
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-10-27          118527

I just bought a JD 260 grooming mower to go on the back of my Kubota B7610. On the deck of the mower is a decal that says "operate at 2000 RPM only " If I run it at the 540 setting on the pto it seems to run slow and doesn't get a very good cut. On the 960 pto setting it of course runs faster and cuts better and sounds better. Everything I've red says to run mowers at the 540 pto setting. Will I mess up if I run it on the 960 Setting. Ted Cary

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

JD 260 grooming mower

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-10-27          118531

Did you mean a 261 RFM? Or a 260 rotary mower? If you do in fact have a 260 rotary mower; these mowers were designed for the John Deere 318, 420, and 430 lawn tractors. I am not certain of pto speed specs. but I suspect that they drive this mower at a much higher pto speed than a rear pto set at 540 rpm. The mid pto on my 4410 drives the MMM at 2,100 rpm. This may be why you are having difficulty obtaining a proper pto speed to run this mower at. ....

JD 260 grooming mower

View my Photos
tcary6

2005-10-27          118534

Thanks for the reply. I think the rfm 261 is a newer model. Mine is printed on the deck John Deere grooming mower 260, which I believe is the same as a finishing mower. It has the three blades, is 60 in and hooks up to the 3ph.
I think I'll just try it on the 960. It cuts better and doesn't sound like its rotating too fast.

JD 260 grooming mower

View my Photos
Ted Cary

2005-10-29          118614

Thanks for the info 2ndhandlion. Mine is a 260, so i'm thinkin I could run my pto at 960.

JD 260 grooming mower

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-10-29          118615

That is still less than half the pto rpm specified to operate the mower. If it works at that rpm, I would just keep on a cuttin'. ;o) Sure beats buying a new or other mower. ....

JD 260 grooming mower

View my Photos
tcary6

2005-11-02          118810

Well I messed up again, ran over a low stump and broke the belt. This was at the 540 setting befire I decided to go with the 960. Anyhow I finally got a new belt and I guess I'm just getting too old [80] but but I can't figure out how to put he belt on. There's 3 blade pulleys, 3 idler pulleys ,one with the spring, and the main drive pulley.Anybody got any ideas where to find diagram.The mower is a John Deere 260 rear-mount grooming mower. Sure appreciate any help. Ted Cary ....

JD 260 grooming mower

View my Photos
beth asher -JD Parts

2005-11-03          118872

You can find diagrams for John Deere equipment on the web. Go to Deere.com and click on any of the pictures on the homepage --Residential will do --then click on Parts on the green menu bar running across the top of the site --you should see 'Look up info/order parts' link there --click on "Search the parts catalog" and you can put in the mower model number and pop up the diagram --all John Deere equipment is now on the parts website, although for some vintage equipment the indexing is a little bit screwy --you can search for equipment by model number, type of equipment, or if you have the old parts catalog for something you can put in the catalog number and it will bring up the diagrams

If you give me a fax number I can send the diagram of the 260 belt --Thanks, Beth ....

Link:   http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com.deere.u90490.partscatalog.view.

Picture Link
Mowers Field and Finish JD 260 grooming mower

JD 260 grooming mower

View my Photos
Chief

2005-11-03          118877

Beth, welcome! and nice to see some Deere folks paying us some attention here. ;O) I love the jd parts website parts look up and graphic diagrams! Saved us a BUNCH of time last week when we had problems with a John Deere 328T hay baler. I think your link is not working. So I posted the graphic link below for Ted to look at. Not sure if the graphic is going to help with proper routing of the belt.

Ted, I would suggest you get an operator's manual for your mower. It should have diagrams showing the proper routing of the belt.

Link:   260 rotary mower BELT, MOWER DECK (BLADE TO BLADE)

JD 260 grooming mower

View my Photos
tcary6

2005-11-04          118904

thanks everybody for the replies. I've sent for the owners manuel but haven't got it yet. I callrd the JD number and finally got nice young girl and got her to email a parts manuel for that mower. Really helped for it did have a diagram of the belt routing. Thanks again everybody. Ted Cary ....

JD 260 grooming mower

View my Photos
tcary6

2005-11-06          119007

Finally got the owners manuel.Didn't even have the belt routing in it. It says to look at the decal on the deck, which was gone long ago. Ted

JD 260 grooming mower

View my Photos
tcary660

2006-01-05          122317

I guess that we have discovered that the JD grooming mower will not run at recomended speed with the pto set on 960.
Does anyone know if the JD 261 is set up the same way? ....

JD 260 grooming mower

View my Photos
Wschli4314

2012-07-22          184390

The John Deere Model 260 mower was designed to operate with the John Deere 318 which has a 2000 RPM. Operating it at a lower RPM with affect the cutting performance of the mower. If yor tractor has the standard 540 RPM, I suggest that you sell the model 260 and get a finish mower designed for 540 RPM such as the John Deere Model 272 finish mower.
Wayne ....

JD 260 grooming mower

View my Photos
Wschli4314

2012-07-22          184391

The model 261 was setup to run at 540 RPM. Same mower as the model 260, just different RPM settings.
Wayne ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login