Go Bottom Go Bottom

Weed Eater

View my Photos
Mike1819
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-05-22          111369

Not for sure if this would be an appropriate place for this post but......
I'm looking for a new weed eater to replace a homelite straight shaft. WIll use mostly for around the house and trimming around trees (unless someone has a better idea for around trees). Would like to be able to cut some thick tall stuff.
Would also like for it to be easy on me as right now the Homelite kills my back after awhile.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Weed Eater

View my Photos
bvance
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-05-22          111373

Take a look at your local Stihl distributor. I don't think one can ever go wrong with Stihl....IMHO. Stihl has a number of weed wackers....and powerful ones too. I have a straight shaft because I have a number of different attachments I use on it...a lawn edger and small roto-tiller. I also have a blade attachment (similar to a big skillsaw blade) that I use to whack down blackberry brush....very effective. Stihl also makes a curved shaft that has brush cutters too.

Good Luck! ....

Weed Eater

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-05-22          111374

I've had an Echo for ten years and it's been fine. When I buy again I'll look at Stihl and Echo. ....

Weed Eater

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-05-22          111380

When my big-box-store POS(something red, can't remember the brand)finally bit the dust I sprung for a Tanaka. What a great little machine!

Don't overlook it if you run across one....

Also spring for the premium weed wacker line... it is worth the bucks. Can't believe how long it lasts compared to the regular stuff.

I will try to get the brand name for you tomorrow. ....

Weed Eater

View my Photos
funchy

2005-05-22          111381

Whatever you get,you're probably better off buying a better brand. I've had several home-depot quality ones and they're not easy to hold (not to mention crummy quality). I finally solved the problem by buying a string trimmer on wheels from my local Tractor Supply. It never gets tall grass tangled around it, and best of all I am not carrying the weight of anything when I trim. ....

Weed Eater

View my Photos
yooperpete

2005-05-23          111390

I agree with the Stihl choice. Anything that I've bought from them has been excellent. Their price is slightly higher but you get what you pay for in this instance for sure. ....

Weed Eater

View my Photos
pkzochow
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-05-23          111419

I have a Stihl weed whip and it works great, it might be a little bigger than what your looking for, but they are built good. With the one that I have you can put on many different types of ends, my favorite is the saw blade that I use to cut down up to about 2" trees when I was clearing along a ditch line, it is very handy.

Weed Eater

View my Photos
wr5evk8jj

2005-05-23          111429

Agree with the Stihl choice. I have had a FS-80 for about 6 years now; great machine that always works when I want it to. After having some of the common electric and no-name-mentioned gas models, going with (what I thought was) the best was a logical choice. No regrets with the Stihl choice at all, only recommendations. ....

Weed Eater

View my Photos
glocknut30

2005-05-23          111431

First, I have some Stihl equipment and love their quality and ease of servicing.

When I went shopping for a new weed eater and backpack blower, I went with Husqvarna. Very high RPMs and perfectly balanced. The blower was the biggest one I could find at the time and will blow rocks across the driveway if I let it. The weeder also throws rocks but at a much higher speed (OUCH!)

I don't think you could go wrong with either brand. When you get one, you are welcome to drop by the farm for a break-in period.... :-)

Weed Eater

View my Photos
JAZAK5

2005-05-23          111432

I own an stihl fs-85 love it !!!
with the bump head and the swivel fail poly blades along with brush cutting abilities it got to be one of the most versitile power to weight ratios out there !!! ....

Weed Eater

View my Photos
AV8R

2005-05-23          111436

I just brought home my new FS-45. Very nicely built little machine, thanks for the info (even though I never asked).

I was surprised to see that this was CHEAPER than many of the "big-box" junk trimmers. I only paid $130 for it. The dealer told me that the motor was rated for 250 hours, he also mentioned (I don't know if it is true) that Ryobi (sp?) is rated to less than 25 hours run life. After looking at the 'big-box' junk (including Ryobi) it certainly looks like a better built unit. Hopefully I can have as much luck with my Stihl as everyone else seems to have. ....

Weed Eater

View my Photos
Mike1819

2005-05-24          111489

Wow! I guess I never expected so much feedback on weedeaters. Thanks to all of you for your input. It sounds like a Stihl does a really good job for a lot of you. I had looked at the Huskies but haven't checked out Stihl yet - I will this weekend.
My ole' Homelite did a good job thru some pretty tuff stuff - just having a hard time finding parts anymore.
Are parts, etc., readily available for the Stihls, Echo's and Husqvarnas?
We're about 15 miles from the closet place to get stuff like that so reliability is a must.
I'll let you guys know what I decide on and thanks again for your help.
Mike ....

Weed Eater

View my Photos
pkzochow

2005-05-24          111490

Mike, I have had my Stihl FS-85 for over 6 years and I have cut down trees, brush, and most anything that can grow. Parts are readily available at the local stihl dealer, but I am happy to say that I have never had to buy any. It has been a rock solid piece of equipment ever since I have owned it.

Paul

Weed Eater

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-05-24          111491

I think parts are readily available for all these brands depending on the dealers in your area. In this area there are three Stihl dealers and two each Echo and Huskie dealers in about a 10 mile radius. Of course this is a logging community where every resident has at least one chainsaw. ....

Weed Eater

View my Photos
bvance

2005-05-24          111496

About the only thing you would need for a Stihl is gas and oil! Seriously, I would be shocked if you have to touch it for a long, long time. Some of the other upper scale brands mentioned in this thread are good, solid units, but I KNOW you will be happy with a Stihl. Lots of future options you can add if you get the straight shaft...but may not be as comfortable as the curved shaft....check them both out.

Good Luck! ....

Weed Eater

View my Photos
dklopfenstein

2005-05-25          111541

I bought a Stihl FS 80R a year ago. I think it is great. I use the saw blade attachment to clear brush, the pole saw (mini chain saw) attachment along the woods so I can keep branches away from my 4410 and me, the regular "bump head" cuts great and doesn't let tall grass wrap like my previous Homelite did. It also has a lifetime warranty on the clutch for the residential user...even it used for brush and small trees! Would buy another in a heartbeat but probably won't have to for a long time. Use it about 3-4 hours per week. ....

Weed Eater

View my Photos
Mike1819

2005-05-26          111546

Thanks again for the info.

I'm going this weekend to lok at the Stihls'. I notice on their web site they offer two different handles - a loop handle and a bicycle type handle. What are the pros and cons of each? ....

Weed Eater

View my Photos
Blueman

2005-05-26          111553

Mike, I bought a Stihl FS80R last week, loop handle (easier to use in small areas?). I had researched many different ones, and a Redmax probably would have been my second choice. Supposedly, this model has the "older" 2 cycle engine, with fewer moving parts (i.e., less likely to have problems) than Stihl's new "4-mix" engines. Although I have only used it once, I was simply impressed...and my arms didn't feel numb like they have after using previous, lower cost brands. Like was said before, tall grass does not easily get wrapped around the head. I bought a steel blade to chop florabunda, but haven't tried it yet. Haven't found a Stihl dealer that will negotiate much on their products, but the price seems worth it in the long run. Good Luck. ....

Weed Eater

View my Photos
AV8R

2005-05-26          111566

When I bought mine the "bicycle" handle was explained to me as a safety/liability need for use when a brush cutter blade is installed on longer shaft, more powerful units.

There is a brush cutter blade available for my little FS-45, but no bicycle handles, so this seems a bit inconsistant to me. Sounds like the whole ROPS paranoia thing to me, IMO. ....

Weed Eater

View my Photos
Murf

2005-05-26          111568

I agree with the need for the bicycle style handles on the big units. On the smaller units the average person will have no real problem.

We use a few Stihl monsters (FS-450's & 550's) for grubbing around obstacles where we can't get bigger equipment in. I don't think the average person would be able to catch them in time if they hooked on something solid.

Mind you, I doubt many people go out an buy a 60cc 4hp string trimmer for clearing around the house either.

The most important thing with any trimmer is to be CONSTANTLY mindfull of the direction of rotation. In light clearing you want the debris heading away from you, but in heavy clearing you MUST keep the edge of the blade furthest from you doing all the cutting, and the debris heading away from you sideways only.

This is so that if the blade catches on something the machine will want to jump away from you, instead of in towards you.

Best of luck. ....

Weed Eater

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-05-26          111583

I have a brush cutter with a 6' chainsaw type round blade on it. Awesome, but the point is that it has two arms that come out like a "futurestic jet pack" and it comes with a shoulder harness. You set the hieght on it so it is at the level you want it to be at and there is no wieght to hold up with your arms. ....

Weed Eater

View my Photos
brian1974

2005-05-28          111652

As much as I love my Stihl chainsaw, I must say Echo builds a great weedeater. Been using them hard for years, no complaints. ....

Weed Eater

View my Photos
Mike1819

2005-05-28          111655

I stopped in today and looked at the Stihl weed eaters. I really liked the FS80 in the brush cutter style but, I do have several questions -
Has anyone used one of these which had interchangable gearboxs for different attachments?
Have any of you tried the Kombi system? If so, how well does the attachments work? I like the power scythe and the pole pruner ideas, just wondering how well they work.

Haven't had a chance to look at the Echo yet - maybe this week.

Weed Eater

View my Photos
bvance

2005-05-28          111662

I have the FS 85T and as previously mentioned, love it. I have a roto tiller attachment, wead eater with blade attachement for brush and a lawn edger. The attachment system works very well. Never a minutes trouble with changing attachements or the integrity of the system. Am considering getting the pole extension chain saw system.

Good Luck! ....

Weed Eater

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-05-28          111665

I've got a Stihl 12 foot pole saw. Can't remember the model number, but it's an awesome unit. I highly recommend the support harness if you're gonna use it for any length of time. ....

Weed Eater

View my Photos
kskwash

2005-05-29          111703

This is good information. I was using a Cub Cadet, that was only a few years old before it died on me. I did cut a lot of tall weeds and brush with it, but it seems that it should have lasted longer than that. I will try the Stihl out next week.
Thanks for the good info. ....

Weed Eater

View my Photos
Chief

2005-06-01          111804

For grass and weed string trimming I use an el cheap Harbor Freight $39 Homelite that has lasted me for over 10 years. For the really heavy stuff I have a Stihl FS450K. With the exception of the small string trimmers; ALL of my equipment in this area is Stihl. They are pricey but hold up unbelievabley well and last a LONG time. My Stilh O-66 chain saw is going on 13 years old and she still runs like new. ....

Weed Eater

View my Photos
Mike1819

2005-06-05          111963

I stopped in yesterday to buy a Stihl FS85 brush cutter..... unfortunately, they are also a JD dealer. Got to lookin at new tractors and talkin prices - ended up walking out of there having forgot about the brush cutter! I guess I'll "have" to go back now!!
I looked at a 5220 with a 541 front end loader and full hydraulics on the back end. Have thought about going from my 4700 to the 5220 - I'll have to think about that one. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login