Go Bottom Go Bottom

Big Brother right around the corner

View my Photos
shortmagnum
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-09-03          95451

It's not really a Ford topic. I just didn't think this suited "just for fun." It doesn't sound like fun at all.

Link:   Black boxes

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-09-03          95457

It already exists.

All the Ford PSD's in my company's fleet (except mine ;-p) are electronically speed-controlled to a maximum of 70mph (112 kph) and have been since new. It is a 2 minute thing that can be done by any dealer, or by any reprogramming box.

Less speeding tickets = less insurance premiums.

I had one driver object, when I explained he was being paid hourly, therefore slow driving was costing me not him he smiled and walked away.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-09-03          95470

It's just creating a market for new devices that will plug between the cars diagnostic port and the trip sense computer. The device would modify data on-the-fly to filter out any bad driving habits. Doesn't seem like it would be hard to build.

All this big brother stuff is sure making older vehicles more attractive to me though. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-09-03          95475

I am beginning to think that I ought to have something around to drive that has no computer chips, no circuit boards and no transistors built anywhere into it.

I suppose my RTV falls into that category. If there is an electronic control on it I haven't found it yet. ....

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-09-03          95476

The only recourse is to become "hermitized." When I suggest this to my wife she, for some reason, doesn't have the same interest in it as I. :) ....

View my Photos
BillBass
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-09-03          95485

Murf - I think I misread your post at first. You mean all the PSDs that you own, not ALL PSDs. Right? I could see a potential liability issue if you did not make your employees aware of it. Suppose they were on the highway and attempted to pass, then hit the limit about halfway around what they were passing, and then could not get by before they reached oncoming traffic, resulting in an accident. With today's litigation environment, you could be at risk. ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2004-09-03          95486

My wife's 2001 Mustang GT has a speed limiter that is activated when I drive the car. It sits in the passenger seat and starts to yell if the speedo goes past 125 mph. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-09-03          95488

Bill, you did not misread it, I made a boo-boo. Yes, my fleet only. As for liability, no problem, all drivers signed an acknowledgement, provided by muy insurance company, that says they are aware that the vehicle is equipped with speed limiting.

Iowa, my vehicles, USED to be equipped with that 'right-side sensor' too, you need to use the magic silencer to quieten it, repeat "It's a LONG walk home from here." a few times and the noise stops. LOL. Besides, my PSD only does about 110 mph, her Bimmer will easily do 160mph.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-09-03          95490

Some of the rental care companies are using these so called black boxes to monitor speed and assess fines for driving faster than the speed limit when you rent a car from them. Some assess a fine for each instance of exceeding the speed limit and charge it to your credit card after you turn the care in after use. ....

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-09-07          95761

That's gppd to know cheif, Taking the family to disney in a few weeks & we'll be renting a car. Thanks! ....

View my Photos
kubotaguy

2004-09-07          95764

They have been electronically limiting cars for a while. I think some of it has to do with getting the most out of smaller engines by using lower geared transmissions. My Focus is electronically limited to 106 mph which I am assuming is to protect the engine. It does work as I had to find out. The Buick Grand National GNX (when it was the fastest production car made in America) also had a limiter back in the day if my memory serves me correct. I don't see a problem with the limiters and would welcome them as it would probably cut down on accidents. As far as big brother, it's no big deal if you aren't doing anything wrong. Before I could get my current job, I had to be fingerprinted and have a background check performed. They also still monitor our phone and computer on a regular basis. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-09-07          95772

Grassy, just be sure to read the fine print. ;o) Have fun! ....

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-09-08          95886

Ok, is it just me or is everyone having problems with this site today? for some reason it wont show me all the posts to each thread. it only shows me mine. If I click on your name cheif, it only shows me the posts you have written & the posts I have wriiten, why? ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-09-08          95892

Seems to be working OK for me. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-09-08          95896

It's working OK for me too. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-09-08          95897

The same thing happens to me once and a while when I'm surfing to other sites and then back again. When this happens, it forgets my ID. I've noticed this since in the upper left it then doesn't acknowledge my premium membership and handle. It thinks I a new subscriber! It repairs itself by going to another site and coming back in. ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2004-09-08          95900

Kubotaguy has it right about limiting speeds in cars for years. I had an '89 Old Cutlas Calais Intl with the 160 hp Quad Four engine, manual trans. It was limited to a top speed of about 105 or so. Stupid part was you could drop it into 4th gear, run it past the limit speed, put it back into 5th and keep going. ....

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-09-08          95907

I had one of the very first speed limiting cars. It was an 81 Dodge Aries k-car. No matter how hard you tried you couldn't get it over 100. I guess Lee Iacoca was just ahead of his time with that feature.
Dave ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-09-08          95910

Dave, I had a friend who was given a company K-car for a short time till his new truck arrived.

He had a theory that the passing gear in that car was not actually in the transmission, but instead just a pre-programmed sound-effect in the stereo system since it didn't seem to do anything but make more noise, it certainly didn't make the car go any faster.

I suspect he may have been right.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-09-08          95913

Ted - your a bag of laughs!!! Iowafun - I have one of those yelling devices to. The manufacturer should have redesigned it to require less niose & space. It's about 5'3", 120lbs., blonde hair & blue eyes. Mine doesnt let me get over 90 mph ;( ....

View my Photos
Larry Lutz

2004-09-08          95960

Every new Ford Freestar & Mercury Monterey has a "black box" & a disclaimer in the manual that tells you who can access it to download it for certain reasons.They are in virtually every Railraod Locomotive ....

View my Photos
taheide

2004-10-25          99241

As insurance companies lobby more and more for this, you will see them in more vehicles soon. They can use them after an accident to determine who is at fault. Good idea, but also bad idea.

I had a 92 Vic with everything the police interceptors have except it included the rev limiter. It kept me at 112 MPH. :( A chip would have removed the limiter but at the risk of over revving the engine. That engine revved up extremely fast, I could tap the gas and hit the limiter while in park. I truely miss that car, but rust took it away from me :(.

Murf, you are one brave soul for going that fast in a Stroke! I get my dually up to 95 and I get a lump in my throat. I can't imagine going any faster than that in my big rig. I alos do not have the right seat speed limiter, I have a cant this thing go any faster in that seat. :) ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login