Go Bottom Go Bottom

Worst Puchase Ever 2004 Ford F150

View my Photos
neveragain
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-08-08          92976

Made a decision last winter to buy a Ford again, but I have regretted this since the first week I owned it.

Do yourself a favor and read this before buying one, or letting a friend buy one.

Link:   Honest Review of the 2004 F-150

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
grinder
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-08-09          93003

Thanks for the post. Pretty sad that the usa can't build a truck.
My 2001 GMC is a piece of crap. I have been looking at the fords lately. I guess I will look again! ....

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-08-09          93015

Strange, I bought one, a super cab mind you, for my foreman since he was doing a LOT of miles in his dually just driving around, and not 'working' it.

He thinks it's the greatest truck he's ever driven.

Personal taste may have more to do with it than anything else.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-08-09          93029

Some of the complaints listed do seem to be personal taste. I'm no longer much of a Ford fan but I drove a new F150 loaner once and was really impressed with the seating and comfort in that truck. ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2004-08-16          93654

You have failed to consider the 1/2 ton truck class is the most popular trucks for use by anyone not taking it off highway. That's where the money is at so that's where the F150 was design to go.

http://www.halls.md/chart/height-weight.htm

Is a website that shows the demographics of height. 6 feet tall is 72 inches (for the math impared). Well over 95% of white women and 75% of white men are less than 72 inches in height. So if you design something, you have to design for the majority of your target consumer. It's my duty to tell you that as an adult male over 6 feet tall living in a rural community that uses his truck off a paved highway, you are not a member of the target consumer for 1/2 trucks. That goes for any manufacturer.

If you are going farm and offroad use, stick to 3/4 ton or bigger. I love my F250 Superduty. The new F150's were built to accomodate more women than men. So naturally it's not built for tall men like yourself. The world has changed and I have to accept that there are products that I used to purchase that I no longer can because they have adjusted to the "poplarity" that has shifted their demographics. If I don't fit it, then fine, I will go buy something else that will.

I'm 5' 6" tall with 50" shoulders and a 17" neck. Try finding nice clothes that fit. Sport coats and suits all need tailoring for the jackets. I'm outside of the average male demographic for that height so I know products are harder to find. You are outside of the demographics for today's 1/2 trucks.

I didn't buy a Dodge because in Northern Minnesota they had a nasty habit of exploding the transmission all over your garage floor in winter. ....

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-08-16          93656

"It's my duty to tell you that as an adult male over 6 feet tall living in a rural community that uses his truck off a paved highway, you are not a member of the target consumer for 1/2 trucks. "

How unfortunate but true. Most 1/2 ton trucks are bought by posers who "need" a pickup to drive from their suburban home to work. What does that leave for guys who need to work their truck? I suppose a 3/4 ton.
Dave ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-08-16          93658

I thought it was against the law to put a child with booster seat in the front seat, particularly in the middle between air bags.

The seats are very hard for the first 50,000 miles but soften up so they are still good between 130,000 and 180,000 miles. Not like sitting in grandma's sofa.

The 1/2 ton trucks are for city slickers that drive them to the grocery store and roll them on the freeway, (ie the lower chassis height.)

The armrests are big for side impact protection as well as the dropped window ledge. The drop lets you see next to you like for curbs and other stuff. If you can't see behind you get the "beeper" upgrade.

With a regular cab they had to but some space behind the seat so you don't crash your head against the rear window with a rear impact crash. Most people use that for ocassional storage in tool boxes or gun cases.

The door pillar again is for safety while it has a second purpose so you can hide behind it when driving through the ghetto(meant primarily for brothers and drug dealers)

If the truck is in a forward gear and moving you can depress the seatbelt red release button and it will cancel the alarm.

The sides are deeper to protect the innocent from the stupid people so cargo don't fall out. (beds, mattresses, tables, chairs, etc. that people don't have smarts enough to tie down securely when they are weaving through traffic while talking on their cell phone, eating a sandwich and plucking nosehair).

Ice and stone buildup on fancy spoked rims can be eliminated by purchasing the low-end product with standard steel rims, etc. (Don't get the XLT package). Mudflaps help as well.

Test drive your next vehicle first for an extended period. Sounds like you need a plain "old" 3/4 ton worktruck with rubber floor mats with extended cab for the little guy and an 8' box which should be less money than the fancy 1/2 ton rig you're currently driving. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-08-16          93666

I was just reading some 'typical buyer profile' info. from one of those market research companies.

It seems not all 1/2 ton buyers are stupid suburbanite posers after all. In fact it seems that farmers & working men all over North America were right all along, a pickup is your best buy.

Dollar for dollar a 1/2 ton pick-me-up truck is a far value for less money than a mini-van (read "Tragic Wagon") and has a FAR higher resale value.

I was kidding a neighbour of mine who just bought a GM-by-the-C pickup about his suburban-cruiser. He claims it has all the same equipment (toys) and 3 times the workability as the Minivan his wife wanted, but was $2,500 less money. The fact that it was RWD instead of FWD just clinched the deal for him.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
BillBass

2004-08-17          93702

Don't know how much difference there is between a '97 and '04 but they have a similar body style. I just traded off my '97 F150 after 7 years and 144,000 miles and never had a repair on it. No leaks, no drips, no rattles, no scratches, no rust. I could not have been happier with it. I am 6'-5" and it was very comfortable for me. My previous was an '87 Bronco. 10 years and 208,000 miles with minimal repairs. My new is 2004 F250 with 3500 miles. Pleased with it so far. With this kind of service and comfort, I will be driving a Ford for a long time. I was die-hard Chevy until dealer made me mad and I went to Ford. It's all a matter of personal preference. ....

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2004-08-17          93729

Pick-up vs. Mini-van is like Apple vs. gutter.

Things you can't do with a regular mini-van:
1) load gobs of stuff
2) enjoy RWD

Things you can't do with a regular pick-up:
1) load gobs of kids
2) enjoy FWD

Plus the comparison of the resale value is of little value [sic.] because the two vehicles are seldom bought for the same reasons. I can't imagine an instance where I would be trying to decide on which vehicle to buy and am debating between a mini-van and a truck. Actually I have both and like them equally for different reasons (load kids in the van, load sheep in the truck), neither does the job of the other with any degree of satisfaction.

View my Photos
taheide

2004-10-25          99245

There is a huge difference between a 97 and 04. They totally redesigned the vehicle from the ground up. It is a nice looking truck, and if it is anything like the 01 I had, it will be very reliable. But as others have said, its a yuppie mobile. They dont have enough room for stuff in the bed when you get the supercabs and such, and when you look at the majority of them on the road, most arent even being used as a pickup.

I got an F350 Dually that I traded my F150 in on because I couldnt haul most normal remodeling goods without having to drop the tailgate. Just getting a door required either rolling up the tonneu cover, or dropping the tailgate and strapping the door down. Now I have room for 6 people and can haul 40 sheets of drywall with the tailgate up if I want to. :) Oh did I mention it also gets better fuel milage than the F150? ....

View my Photos
DK35vince

2004-10-25          99257

Still running my 1991 Ford F-250 XLT Lariate every day.
Almost 14 years old,169,000 miles, no rust, still runs, looks and works great.
Haven't had a pickup payment since 1995 and don't plan on a pickup payment for a long time to come.
Maybe some don't have good luck with Ford trucks but I always have !!

View my Photos
BrendonN

2004-10-25          99266

DK35vince and I have something in common. My '92 F-150 (2WD, extended cab, 302, auto) just rolled over 175,000 miles and is working great. I've made one payment, the purchase price when the truck had 130,000 miles. And unlike many 1/2-tonners, this one has tugged many trailers, has sat on the bumpstops hauling sand, hauled lots of firewood out of hedgerows, and carries me 3 miles just to find the nearest pavement.
Actually, I am more of a GM guy but I can't complain about this Ford. ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2004-10-26          99273

I'm thinkin' 2003 must have been a very bad year for F150 sales. Otherwise why would they be selling the left-over models as rebadged 2004 F150 "Heritage"?

//greg// ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-10-26          99275

The older body style now called the Heritage is still in production. It was such a popular truck, Ford decided to keep selling it for a while. All the tooling, etc. is paid for so it is easy to keep building it. So the consumer has two options when purchasing a 1/2 ton truck from Ford. That is supposed to keep them #1 in sales. ....

View my Photos
Larry Lutz

2004-10-26          99280

The truck plant in Oakville made the trucks until the end of august & they pushed out a lot of them ....

View my Photos
jd60kid

2005-01-21          104658

I AM SHOCKED!!!!!!
I have a 2004 F-150 super cab 4wd and I LOVE THAT TRUCK. It is the most comfortable and smooth riding truck Ive ever been in. Its also the nicest looking truck ive ever seen. Now I dont know what your talkin about neveragain but im 6ft tall 180 pounds and im just fine with the f150. I like the way Toby Keith put it "I AM A FORD TRUCK MAN THATS ALL I DRIVE" ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-01-24          104822

jd60kid,

It's all in your application. What makes the truck great for you may make it less usefull for someone who actively uses it for farm work. Or major offroad work. The end result is Ford is selling more of them than ever. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2005-01-24          104837

We all have our ups and downs. Today my 2002 F-250 Super duty died. The starter is bad with only 40,000 miles. $325.00 for a Ford rebuild. We have to take what comes to us, being thankful that is all. ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-01-25          104891

Yooper, I know the feeling. I put $550 into my 2000 F-250 in December. The rear end blew out a seal where the drive shaft enters. Made a mess on the garage floor. But, $550 at 127k miles isn't bad. Heck, the original tires had tread on them when I replaced them at 93,000 miles due to a nail in the sidewall.

My truck has been good to me.

The starter is a pain. My old Ford Ranger did that one day. BAd supplier on the starter resulting in the electrical studs rusting out. ....

View my Photos

2005-08-08          114550

neveragain

I read you review of the 2004 F-150. I have the exact truck
and for the most part I agree. The rear doors are just
plain stupid and another thing to have something go wrong.
The seat is uncomfortable, but I thought it was me- I
have two ruptured discs in my lower back. I can go about
two hours and I have to stop and get out. I also have a
1993 F-150 4+4 with the 351 engine. It has the bench
seat and I love that seat. Also have a 1998 F-150 4+4
with the smaller triton engine. Love that truck also.
I dont drive the 2004 much. I got it for my dad, as he
seems to be in love with it. At 80 his needs are not alot
and he probably doesnt even need the 4+4, but he seems
to like it. It is nice to hear that I wasnt imagining
that the seat was VERY uncomfortable. I much prefer my
1998 or 1993-much simpler and not all the bells,whistles,
and other superfluous noises.

doc ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-08-08          114551

I don't have any ruptured disks and I don't last much longer than two hours in anything I drive. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-08-08          114552

I don't have ruptured disks either but the only seats I have ever been able to sit in for longer than two hours are the Recaros I put in a VW Scirocco years ago. I could drive that car for hours on end without fidgeting or being uncomfortable, and always felt fresh when arriving at the destination. OEM seats nearly always suck. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2005-08-09          114561

The crash test dummies seem to like them, but I've never found anybody else who could sit in truck for more than a couple hours at most without some form of discomfort.

The only seats I have found that I can sit in for more than a few hours without any problem are those in my Bimmer, but with a V12 under the hood a cross-country journey is only a few hours..... LOL.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
taheide

2005-08-09          114591

the seats in my F350 are very comfortable. Drove from Virginia to Kentucky non stop and felt just fine when I got there. OTOH if it was my 01 F150, I wouldnt, the seats are just not as comfortable, but they are much more comfortable than the Chevys. The seats in my CV Sport are very comfortable, drove non stop from New Jersey to IL and never had a problem, cant say the same for the seats in an Olds Allero! Those are like sitting on bricks, a 40 minute drive and I could hardly stand up straight my back hurt so bad, and I have heard the same for a bunch of other GM seats. Its not just the F150 that has bad seats, there are quite a few manufactureres that have poor seating. Of course the bigger the truck the better the seats :) and the higher the price :(. ....

View my Photos
taheide

2005-08-09          114592

the seats in my F350 are very comfortable. Drove from Virginia to Kentucky non stop and felt just fine when I got there. OTOH if it was my 01 F150, I wouldnt, the seats are just not as comfortable, but they are much more comfortable than the Chevys. The seats in my CV Sport are very comfortable, drove non stop from New Jersey to IL and never had a problem, cant say the same for the seats in an Olds Allero! Those are like sitting on bricks, a 40 minute drive and I could hardly stand up straight my back hurt so bad, and I have heard the same for a bunch of other GM seats. Its not just the F150 that has bad seats, there are quite a few manufactureres that have poor seating. Of course the bigger the truck the better the seats :) and the higher the price :(. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login