Go Bottom Go Bottom

Pickup Truck Bed Covers

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2014-10-13          191211

Am considering do I want a bed cover or a tool box. Tool boxes have had and used for years but never a bed cover.

I do not want to haul much, battery jumper cables and a tow strap or chain. Will install box on trailers for tie down straps and the receiver hitch for that trailer to prevent hauling extra weight when not needed.

The bed covers are in wide variety of styles and materials. At least here have been quoted over $2,000 for a roll up driven by electric motor which I would not even consider that drive system. No remote in hand can not open nor close.

Those who have one what are your thoughts, experiences and recommendations. I do not use any in bed hitch for towing. Will haul items the top needs to be open if not removed but not real often. I do like the idea of the covered bed to keep my trash in and others out. Same for my tools and such.

Is there a brand you recommend buying and one your recommend running from?

Thanks,,,kt Oh, snow not an issue for me very often at all.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Pickup Truck Bed Covers

View my Photos
yooperpete
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2014-10-13          191212

I have the old style snap in place bed cover. Wouldn't be without one. It keeps rain, leaves and snow out and stuff pretty much dry. Also stops stuff from blowing out of the box. Think you can purchase one that fits around a toolbox.

I have a 2 x 4 cut to the correct width that fits toward the rear within notches of the bedliner which stops stuff from sliding forward when you have gas cans, etc. Also have a small plastic box trapped in this area for littler things like hitches, wrenches etc.

Also have a telescopic pole stored under the back seat with a hook on it to pull stuff from the front of the truck box. Got it at a boating store generally used for retreiving things like life jackets, etc. It is handy. ....

Pickup Truck Bed Covers

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2014-10-13          191214

I put a 2 x 8 in the bedliner like Yooper said in the grooves that provide for one about 2 feet from the tailgate.

On my first pickup I had a full Cap with slider windows. That sorta turns it into a Suburban without seats. When I wanted to go pick up an engine and had to remove the Cap it was a real PIA with all the bolts and needing a helper etc..

I skipped the cap on my next truck..

My brother uses those rubber maid storage tubs that he puts close to the cab. But an open truck provides zero security.

I think something simple will be better in the long run like Yooper said. ....

Pickup Truck Bed Covers

View my Photos
Woodie
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2015-08-24          193399

kt sorry i havent gotten around till now (life happens) to respond to this topic. I opted to go with a tonneau cover vs a shell on my last truck , sure it was nice but wasn't tall enough for hauling equipment , mowers, snowblower, etc to shop for repairs. I too looked at the fancy rollup even without the electric option it was very close to $2K. I chose a hard panel vs the 'cloth' types. as in Mich winters those things shrink in the cold once you remove them-need heated garage to snap them back in. Brand I went with was Extang Hard panel Tri fold Tonno. front panel has lock and if your tailgate has a lock . nice and secure. Part that sold me was the supposed "Bolt one key lock"(it takes your ignition key and "progrms" cover lock ) so you only need one key. Great idea . I really realy liked the one key ... well after the weather seal/gasket on the lock popped out short of a year after i got it- i took it back to dealer and after several trips they got a 'replacement lock assembly' and handed me a new key- I was like what the -----! :( now i have two keys ?!?. I contacted manfacturer and explained my udder displeasure and they keep 'assuring me the "enginering dept" is trying to work a fix.. I keep contacting them every 3-4 months and they say another 6months. I'm tempted to drive up to their office and see if I cant get passed the "phone call' mess. (just an hours drive for me). For the $1K I spend on the cover I think I should get better treatment, I supposedly have a lifetime warranty for defects etc etc. but now going nearly 2 years I think they should have gotten the bug worked out.. sorry for the long rant ....

Pickup Truck Bed Covers

View my Photos
kthompson

2015-08-24          193401

woodie sorry for your troubles there. An hour drive might be a good investment. Eye to eye works much better than ear to phone does some times.

I ended up without tool box or bed cover. Instead I went with tool boxes on my two trailers I use for any hauling. I have had that pickup about a year and think have put near 4,000 miles on it. Do enjoy it and it is a very good workhorse. About a month back had to have major front end brake work at just over 100,000 miles. I got tickled with it about three months back, went to buy some landscape rock and asked them for two yards and said it will not take the weight. Okay give me one yard, when they put that in the bed it did not hardly lower the rear end. Said to me sir did not mean to hurt your feelings, did not realize it had that capacity. Drove and ran with what was suppose to be two yards much better than empty. Which brings me to I doubt the bucket on their front end loader really holds a yard. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login