Go Bottom Go Bottom

7 3 Diesel F250 03 - Weird noise sounds like engine is revving

View my Photos
epman01
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-06-22          171718

As I accelerate my F250 7.3 '03 it has recently began making a noise that sounds like my engine is revving but it isn't. The engine continues to have it's typical sound with this new one at the same time. After a while it goes away. What could this be ? I already changed the oil, oil filter, air filter and fuel filter. Anybody had this problem before ?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-06-22          171722

Do mean a sound sort of like a small jet engine, almost a loud air rushing sound?

It's called the "EBPV" Exhaust Back Pressure Valve. It is supposed to limit how much boost the turbo can develop, thank the nice people at the EPA & CARB for it.

They are independently operated seperate from the turbocharger itself and sometimes sort of develop a mind of their own. I don't know in what year they changed them, but some are vacuum operated, some are electrically actuated, it doesn't seem to matter, both are prone to the issue.

It's not an issue other than the annoyance factor.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-06-22          171737

Murf does my Cummins have this system? ....

View my Photos
Murf

2010-06-23          171743

Yup, it sure does Jeff.

Almost any turbo diesel has something similar, in the 'old days' it was nothing but a safety valve so you didn't over-boost and blow the motor. Today it's part of the emission control........ stuff. :(

One of the younger fellas that works for me 'inherited' his Dad's Dodge, first thing he did was start modding it up some. First thing he did was take the cat & muffler off his truck, now his EPBV opens and it sounds like a 747 taking off.

He thinks it's cool. I told him to keep his foot out of it till he was a ways down the road from the office or any job sites.

Best of luck.

View my Photos
earthwrks

2010-06-23          171747

Is it destructive to the engine? (I know what you mean about our help being idiots). ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-06-23          171752

There is a kid in our town who has a Dodge/Cummins four door, probably a year old. I don't know what all he's did to it but it is LOUD, with a big capital "L". There is a stop sign just up a bit from our house that he loves to catapult from with enough black smoke to camafouge a fleet of destroyers. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2010-06-23          171764

I'd encourage him to do it more. That way when he blows a trans and or an axle he'll be out of commission for awhile. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2010-06-23          171765

Murf did you feel the earthquake today? The media says we felt it in Detroit highrises; I was 20 miles SW of Detroit and didn't feel it--'course I was napping :) ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-06-23          171772

Maybe it was Ford Motor crashing down to join GM. The local news claimed poeple in NE Iowa felt it, but I must have been napping too, I didn't feel anything. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-06-23          171773

EW;
That's a good idea, maybe I'll tell him how much I enjoy his window rattling sound and enough diesel smoke to rival a hot rod tractor pull tractor. That little Cummins must be a tough little oil burner, so far. ....

View my Photos
epman01

2010-06-24          171780

So can this annoying new noise be fixed ? Also, in addition to this noise the truck has a repetitive vibration that comes and goes at certain intervals. It never did this before. Ever since this began the truck feels a little forced and slower. Any ideas ? ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login