Go Bottom Go Bottom

Neede 370 Ford gas engine swap advice

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-03-07          160858

I have a 1983-- yes 1983-- Ford F600 medium-duty dump truck witha 370 gas in it. The trans is a manual 5 speed with 2-speed (split) axle.

It's in near-mint condition since I dumped five times the money in it than it's worth.

I'm thinking I'd like more power and fuel economy without going to a diesel.

I'm not a gear head so I need advice: are there any modern Ford gas engines out there that would be an easy, straight forward swap without machining, new clutch, bell housing etc.?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-03-07          160859

I'm no Ford engine expert but google returned this page that indicates the 370 is a 385 series Lima engine that shares the same basic block with the 429 and 460.

Link:   Fordification link

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-03-07          160861

Thanks KW. And it looks like Kenny typed my title too: "Neede" DOH! Oh well it gives it a French flair. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2009-03-09          160917

Jeff, I've got a really easy solution for you.

I've got a 1980's F800 with a nearly new Detroit in it. Same setup as you by the sounds of it, 5 speed with a split rear end. It's got a 10' (?) dump box and a 18" tunnel box between it and the cab.

Let me know when you're coming for it.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-03-09          160919

You mean like FREE?

What's an address to google? ....

View my Photos
Murf

2009-03-09          160920

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwrks | view 160919
You mean like FREE?

I rarely get called Cupid.

Even more seldom do I get called Stupid.......

Reasonable yes, free no.

It's a nearly new DT466, the engine alone is worth $5k. It would however still be about the easiest & cheapest way to do it since you would have a complete donor vehicle, or could use yours as the donor and redo this one.

It has a bit of rust but belonged to a roofing company from new, they parked it for the winters and it was really only a rolling dumpster the rest of the year.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-03-09          160921

Well Cupi...errr... Stup...seeing as I have over $15K in this one I can really justify dumping any more than a grand in it.

(cover your ears now)

Hey K-E-N-N-Y you still need a dump truck? Do I have a deal for YOU! ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-03-09          160922

Years ago I learned "free" often cost a lot by the time all the favors are called in for the "free" item.

If you are looking for Murf, look for the largest collection of Kubota tractors in Canada! :)

View my Photos
Murf

2009-03-09          160923

Jeff, you won't get the conversion part of it done (not counting labour) for under a grand IMHO, let alone an engine.

You will have to completely replace the entire fuel system and add a bunch of stuff your gas truck won't have.

After all of that is done, you still have another problem, your truck will need an engine. A 'rebuildable core' of a tired out diesel for any truck will be over $1,000.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-03-09          160928

Murf like I originally stated, I wanted to put in a modern gas engine instaed of a diesel--If I wanted a diesel I'd take you up on your... ah-hem... "offer". :)

Witha all the cheap, gas trucks around I figgered there might be a donor out there that I easily swap. The swapping a diesel is not time or cost effective---even if I had the loose parts sitting next to it ready to go. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2009-03-10          160939

Sorry, I read the OP too fast, could have sworn you said By going to diesel, not WITHOUT going that way. My bad.

The short answer then is, maybe.

If you can find a modern 'truck' gas engine, yes. Good luck doing so. The problem will be a) not many people are buying gas trucks in the last few years, and b) even less of them will be available from a wreckers or such.

In fact, I'd say it would be faster, easier and cheaper to go the diesel route.

That or ship your truck overseas, they love them in 3rd world countries and south & central america.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2009-03-10          160953

I don't get it: In my 2009 mind a 1983 vehicle that has seen "I dumped five times the money in it than it's worth" can be nowhere near "mint condition"?

View my Photos
Murf

2009-03-10          160954

I wondered about that myself, but then guessed that after putting "five times the money in it than it's worth" it could be described as "mint condition".

Goodness knows I've dumped some pretty crazy sums of money into restorations myself.

Some of my aircraft (which are a good bit older than myself) are testaments to that. LOL

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-03-10          160955

Gimme some slack guys. Mint is relative to construction equipment of this ilk---and in hind-sight a small but albeit exaggeration--beauty in the eye of the beholder kind of thing, you know. It wasn't like I set out to do that. A little here a little there. But at each turn I was in it too deep to dump it--pun intended. I had a new dump box made. Then replaced the cab with a rust-free one. In the process I ruined the brake lines. $2K later the brakes were OK. Got the truck painted. New bumper, and interior. New tires and rims. New carb, battery, etc., etc. And so it goes. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2009-03-11          160977

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwrks | view 160955
Gimme some slack guys.

Now where's the fun in that? LOL

Best of luck. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login