Go Bottom Go Bottom

Ford F150 Odometer Problem

View my Photos
retcol
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-08-29          145199

I have a 1999 Ford F-150 and it has a problem with the odometer coming and going. When I start the truck it isn't illuminated but after I have driven for a while it will come back. Is this a common problem and what is the fix without having to buy a new cluster?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-08-29          145203

The problem could be many a thing, but the first thing that comes to mind is a bad circuit board on the back of the cluster. A microscopic break in the circuit foil could be heating up just enough to allow a current pathway. A dealer may have before and heard of this issue. There might be a simple soultion but it could be anything from a corroded connector, malfunctioning computer, bad readout, etc., etc. If it's only the odometer it could be something at the transmission as far as a sensor or broken wire, or even a bad ground. ....

View my Photos
nosteiner4me
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-08-29          145207

retcol... think yes it is a common problem since i had a 1999 Ford expedition which is based on the f-150 platform and probably has the same electrical pattern. My digital odometer did the same thing up until i traded it in. I didn't care what the odometer said anyway, and it never affected the performance, just on one day then off...at least i could still tell how fast i was driving. Had it checked and they could not find problem when they plugged the computer in. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2007-08-29          145209

Often it's thermal cycling around parts that cause the solder joints to crack. Our Bosch dishwasher failed and putting the board under a microscope revealed cracks around four legs of one part. Resistors often are undersized and overheat too. If you can pull the board it is easy to examine the joints and a quick touch with a good soldering iron (temp around 700 degrees and rosin core solder) may save you big bucks on a repair. Don't hit it with a HOT iron, you'll destroy the board, as will acid core solder. ....

View my Photos
JimP

2007-08-30          145219

My 2000 Expedition does the same thing. Dealership says they'd have to replace the entire instrument console. Goes out for a few seconds but always comes back. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-08-30          145228

Is it recording the miles when it is out and you just can not see it? Just wondering. If it does not record mileage how do that treat it on trade? Might be their better idea. kt ....

View my Photos
retcol

2007-08-30          145230

It continues to accumulate miles. I have heard that this seems to be a common problem but the Ford Motor company doesn't want to acknowledge it. ....

View my Photos
hes37763

2007-09-19          145901

There's a very detailed and nicely illustrated repair manual that shows you how to fix this problem. I fixed my '99 F150 intermittent odometer in less than 2 hours. It had been acting up for years. Works like new since the repair. ....

Link:   Ford Intermittent Odometer

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login