Go Bottom Go Bottom

Murf - 7 3L Diesel Question for ya

View my Photos
Iowafun
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-12-14          102228

Murf, Have you had any experience with performance dropping in the 7.3 L turbo diesels that were in the Superduty's before the 6.0 came out? Mine seems to be acting a tad sluggish and hates cold starting much worse than in previous years. It's a 2000 model F250 and has 125k+ miles on it. I'm good about changing the oil and air filters. I'm due for a fuel filter, though.

Do the injectors wear out or any other items that could be causing the cold start issue?

It hasn't failed to start yet, but it has died several times before it'll stay running. That's after sitting outside all day while I'm at work. I garage it at home.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
AV8R
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-12-14          102235

Check total resistance on glow plugs, (if it has them?)maybe a bad one or two?
What is you fuel condition? Is the supply fresh?
What oil are you running? 15w40 is good, but motor will turn slower. New fuel filter may help.
How old are your batteries? Been checked lately?

View my Photos
Murf

2004-12-14          102238

AV8R is on the right track.

Check each glow plug INDIVIDUALLY, if any are too high or low in resistance change them.

Another known problem is that when they get older the relay that powers the glow plugs gets weak and drops the power to them prematurely.

OK, leave alone the comment about getting older and going off prematurely.... ;->

Give me a little detail on cold starts, and especially the stalling part, there are a few other possibilities.

Best of luck.

View my Photos
Iowafun

2004-12-15          102296

Well, when the truck was younger, if it sat outside all day at near 0 degrees F it would catch and then surge repeatedly which rocked the truck back and forth. It would surge maybe half dozen times before settling down to idle and warm up.

Then on the first cold day this winter/fall, after sitting out overnight and all the next day at about 25+ degrees or so, it would catch, surge up and then die. It did this about 3 times before it finally caught, surged a couple of times, then settled down to idle.

During the summer, my mileage held around 16 to 16.5 mpg. That's running about .5 to 1.0 mpg lower than previous summers. Not a huge difference, but disappointing as the egine should be broke in by now. One noticeable trip which was all highway had mileage in the low 16 mpg range when in the past it was typically 17-18 mpg. It was not a noticeably high wind day either.

I also noticed the truck doesn't have the same get up and go as it used to. No hard data, but she took a lot longer getting up to 80 mpg in passing a car than it had in the past. That's what got me paying more attention to it.

The fuel should be fairly fresh as I usually run through a tank a week (25+ gallons). Sometimes more, sometimes less.

As for the oil, I run the Rotella the truck place puts in it. I've run that since the first oil change way back. I'm not sure exactly the grade designation as they hold it in those huge multi-thousand gallon tanks. But I suspect it's 15W40.

Batteries are still stock items. Truck bought in March, 2000 so that puts them at about 5 years old.

Note: I've never used any diesel fuel treatment in the truck. Should I? And any recommendations?

In winter, the place I buy diesel from uses pre-blended fuel and I've not had problems with it the two previous winters. ....

View my Photos
bmlekki

2004-12-15          102297

I would wonder if an injector is not working right, or simply have some build up of carbon or some dirt in it....

That would explain some, the rough starts and lower mpg, get up and go, if the fuel isn't getting misted in the right pattern...

View my Photos
AV8R

2004-12-15          102301

If the motor is electronic (I think it is in 2000?) the old batteries may be your problem. Definately check them, they are surely at their end-of-life. Could be the source of a glowplug issue too.

With only 125k I wouldn't think you have worn out the injectors, yet. My '86 VW had 240k before I had to replace those.

Have you ever had fuel problems? How old is the fuel filter? Try putting a heavy dose of gravy (fuel service, etc.) in the fuel and see what that may do for injector build-up. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-12-15          102303

Couple of things, based on more information.

First and foremost, load test each battery separately, this requires removing the wire on the one that goes through to the other. If one, or both batteries are low, replace it or them.

Next, test each glow plug, again independently of the others. If one or more are noticeably different on a digital Ohm meter, change it or them.

Next, if the current fuel filter is more than 6 months old, change it, drain the water seperator and give it a heavy dose of diesel additive, good stuff Power Service or equivalent. A healthy regular dose does wonders at the best of times. Water up next to the injectors will also create the symptoms you are describing until things warm up and melt the ice.

You mentioned that the place that changes your oil uses Rotella, but the problems you describe also could be caused by inferior or wrong grade oil. A PSD motor's injection system requires an oil with very high anti-foaming properties. This is why you can feel it with your right foot when the truck needs an oil change, viscosity and additives are the first elements to break down in an oil with use and age.

As for 16 mpg that doesn't sound right either. I would have to guess that your truck has a 4.10 rear end, there is no way the mileage should be that low with a 3.73 rear end.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2004-12-15          102310

Murf, she's got a 3.73 rear end in it. The best mileage I got was a road trip at 70 mph that got me about 18 mpg. I'm usually doing more stop and go during the week when driving back and forth to work. It's about a 14-15 mile trip with two stop signs, one speed trap and 2 or 3 road turns (no stop signs). It's also hilly so that can impact mileage. So I usually fair worse for those fuel runs, typically 16.4 - 16.5. So running 16 mpg flat is noticeable.

I've got a new fuel filter I'll get installed and I'll drain the water trap. I'll try to find the fuel additive and see what that can do for me.

Thanks for your help. I'll also check the glow plugs, but may have to wait until I'm past Christmas. I'm pretty booked up and I get to go to Fargo for a week (next week). Woohoo! ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-12-16          102342

Hmmm, that doesn't sound right.

I forgot to ask, and it shouldn't make a difference at road speed, but is your truck an automatic or manual ?

My personal ride is a 1999 F-350 DRW Crew Cab 4X4 (see my picture # 19) and is heavily 'tweaked' and still squeezes off about 18'ish mpg around town and 21 or 22 on the highway.

I can't believe you'd be that far behind with a stock rig.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2004-12-16          102352

Murf, she's a stock rig. 2000 F-250 SuperCab (Not crew)4x4 with automatic trany (wife can't drive a stick, I tried to teacher her, but...). But after 125k miles and nothing to clean the injectors, I'm suspecting they are pretty dirty. I picked up some power source additive for the fuel last night. I'll get that installed and run a tank or two through and see if that makes a difference as well.

I'm not complaining too much about the mileage as it's still at least 50% better than my buddy with the 5.4L gas engine in his truck. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-12-16          102358

The first few 'minor' mod's I did to mine actually improved my mileage.

When it got above about 350hp it went back down again.

But it's waaaaay more fun this way. hehehehe.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2004-12-16          102381

Ok, here's what I found so far. The fuel filter was, um, very dark. A deep, dark brown color. So I'm thinking that certainly wasn't helping matters. So it's been changed out. I drained the water collector and didn't find much water. I also added that fuel stuff to work on cleaning the injectors.

The flex joints for the intake from the turbo are very dirty like there's been some blow-by. Is this a potential problem? Normal?

Now, the latest fun is the rear end. I noticed a small fresh puddle of oil on the garage floor under the rear end pumpkin. Closer examination shows the whole underside of the rear end housing coated in oil. The drive shaft is clean. Anyone ever blow a seal before?

View my Photos
Iowafun

2004-12-16          102382

Murf, out of curiosity, what were the first couple of changes that helped improve your mileage?

I've got this thing for at least another 100k miles since we had to trade in the wife's Mustang GT convertible for an SUV due to our first baby being on order (currently 19 weeks into the usual 40+ weeks of back-order). So my vehicle needs are being ignored. So I'm interested in some additional mileage. If power was boosted as well... Well, that would be a shame and I would just have to sacrifice and accept that result. :) ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-12-17          102414

The very first things done were;

a) get rid of the factory plumbing and install a 4" mandrel-bent system from end to end with a zero restriction muffler, and,

b) install a K & N air filter cartridge in the factory box.

These two little things alone made probably, as a seat of the pants estimate, a 50 hp boost and made the truck really wake up, the factory setup is too restrictive, both on air coming in and leaving.

Your fuel filter was certainly past it's prime, the dark colour is a combination of debris and algae, neither of which are good.

The dirt on the intake tube is indicative of two things, too much vacuum there, causing debris to either by-pass or go right through the factory air filter, and oil vapour being drawn up through the PCV system, again caused by too much vacuum. A high-quality permanent air filter element should solve that problem.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
AV8R

2004-12-17          102418

Murf: How often (on average) do you service your K&N? Just wondering, I haveone of those too. Do you ever have problems of dust getting past it? I have found pollen/dust past mine on occasion. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-12-17          102420

I put a K & N on an old sports car and was startled by the amount of stuff that made it past the filter element. It seems the price you pay for better flow is reduction in filtering ability. I yanked it after a month. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-12-17          102422

In my own truck it gets washed out and re-oiled every other oil change, which is 10,000 kilometers, about 6,000 miles. In the fleet it gets done every 12,000 miles, but they do more miles in a shorter time and mostly highway at that.

If it is not kept very clean, yes, you will get either debris past or oil vapour up from the sump through the PCV.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-12-17          102423

Ken, are you sure the filter had been properly oiled ?

The filter media in a K & N has much smaller openings than the factory paper one does. It would actually catch far more, not less.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-12-17          102426

Yep, I oiled it up per the instructions. After a week I cleaned it and oiled it a second time but it didn't help any. I figured they were popular among the hot rod crowd for performance reasons, but racers seem to care more about performance than longevity. ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2004-12-17          102431

Thanks for your help Murf. It was definitely peppier this morning with the new fuel filter. It was clearly a problem. I took it easy due to the blown rear end seal. I can't get it in for repair until Saturday. I don't have time to do it myself.

I'll have to look into an exhaust system. I can understand why I may have too much vacuum. I like it when some punk kid sees my truck ad decides they want to pass cause the truck will obviously be too slow. They don't like getting beat by such a big vehicle!! I know my brother was pissed when I beat his car in a race and I was slow due to spinning the tires on the wet pavement.

There is no replacement for cubic inches! ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-12-17          102433

You want to see the look on their face when an 8,000 pound dually breaks free and passes them going down the road on a 45° angle blowing a cloud of black smoke from the tail-pipe and blue smoke from BOTH sides of the dual's.

It's almsot as funny as when you pull ahead of them at the lights and as you start to ease away from them they see there's a TRAILER behind you that's passing them also...

As for the rear-end, I'm not sure how you could 'blow' a seal, it is a vented diff. so unless there is a blockage in the vent it can't build any pressure.

It is more likely that at some point when you were off in the rough and got a piece of greenery wrapped up around it and it burned the seal up, it is a really common thing. I picked up a piece of fishing line on a launch ramp years ago and it got wound around the yoke and took the seal out on me.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
taheide
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-12-17          102441

A lot of the things mentioned here would cause an uproar at the dieselstop forums. :) The K&N is a big one when it comes to the stroke, some like it, others knock it. First of all, the airbox on the 2000 needs to go if you use a K & N, they dont seal well, and have dusted many many turbos. Even factory filters have caused dusting of the turbos. One thing to check when you replace the air filter is the inside of the boot going towards the turbo for any dirt or dust, if you see that, you may already have done too much damage, there should be NO dirt in there, maybe a fine coating of oil, but it should be clean oil, no gritty feel to it. Second thing, the injectors are fired by the oil, there is a HPOP on top of the engine that is fed by the LPOP. If for some reason the check valve gets gummed up, the oil level in there can drop and make cold starts a chore. Third, if you ran 125K mile without putting in any kind of diesel treatment, the injectors MAY, I say MAY, depending on the quality of the fuel, be dirty and that would cause poor starting. The best trick I have found to start my 99 PS is to turn on the ignition, wait for the light to go off, then turn it off and back on and the second time the light goes out, crank it over, 9 out of ten times it will fire right off, if not, I repeat the procedure and it fires right off.
As far as milage, what are the RPMs at when doing 70 MPH? If they are over 2000, then you dont have 3:73's or your overdrive isnt engaging. I have 4:10s on mine, and I get anywhere between 14 and 16 MPG depending on how I drive. Best I got was 18 going through indiana. Not bad for an 8000 pound brick. Best mods to start with, Gauges, tranny temp, boost and EGT, Intake and exhaust. Heard lots of good things about tymar, and the new FIPK from FORD for an intake setup, and a 4 or 5" exhaust. I went with a 5" Hypermax exhaust, it starts 3.5" off the turbo and goes to 5" right under the cab. The muffler is a free flow type that had a baffle in it, note I said had :), Knocked it out before I installed it. I havent replaced the airbox yet due to financial restraints, but it seals very well for a factory box so I am not concerned about it, it is an early 99 with a 99.5 airbox, must have been a cusp truck. I use early 99 filters because they fit much better and seal very good. Blackstone reports concur with very low silicon levels. Currently my boost gets up to 19 PSI, better than most with a stock intake. Only reason I have not chipped it is due to the flaky tranny, I dont feel like destroying it, cant afford to bulletproof it yet. Finally, the way it runs after it starts is not good, does your EBV kick in after its stable? Lots of smoke when it idles? It could be the batteries, they are due for a replacement, the ones in mine are originals and I know they are due to be replaced, I can only crank for about 10 seconds before it winds down, but they are holding up ok, but I notice that it takes longer to start now when it gets really cold, so a set of Optimas are in the works. Like others have stated, the GP's can also be an issue, if a few are out of wack, that would cause intermitant fires during the first few minutes of running due to a few cold cylinders. I used to drive a Mack Superliner, and I remember some very cold starts where it would be running on 2 or 3 cylinders for minutes at a time before they all started firing, leaving smoke rings out the stack during that time, was quite fun to watch. And to think it was plugged in during the night, probably would not even fire off had it not been plugged in. Are you plugging in? ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2004-12-18          102498

Taheide, I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I found the fuel filter that was supposed to be in the truck. Meaning, I bought this summer and was supposed to install it. Thought I had. Guess I didn't. Life's been hectic with working full-time and going to school full-time. Guess it caught up with me... But graduated last night and I got a new fuel filter installed Thursday. I also added the Power Sourse additive so hopefully that will clean the injectors some.

It seems to be doing much better with the new filter. I took it easy due to the oil coming out of the front of the rear end. Dropped the truck off to be repaired while I'm out doing the family holiday thing.

With the rear ened fixed and the new filter, I'll check the mileage and see if it's improved.

Was the new exhaust system easy to install? I helped a buddy install an aftermarket one on his Mustang yeas ago. Wasn't bad with two people. But if I do it, it'll probably be just me installing it.

I do love the diesel truck. As described, it's a giant brick, but that big friggin' engine really gets her hauling. It was fun 4 years ago when I was doing 75+ mph hauling an ATV and a bunch of crap in the back of my truck while towing a Ford Ranger loaded down with another ATV and more crap. I blew past those minivans and never even slowed when going uphill. I love having the big engine. But, I would like more power... Can never have enough. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-12-20          102591

The exhaust was VERY simple to put on. The trickiest part is to get the connection at the turbo, it is way in the back. I had a friend help me but about all he did was hand me stuff so I didn't have to climb out from under the truck everytime I needed something.

As for cold weather starting, it was going to be VERY cold here this morning so I decided top try a little experiment. I unplugged the block heater, but left the battery blankets on and put a small, 1 amp trickle charger on the truck.

When I went out this morning for coffee with the boys the truck lit right up, it made some pretty horrendous noises for the first few minutes, but it did start alright.

At 7:30am it was -32° Celsius which is -26° Farenheit, when you include the wind chill factor they said it was about -45° Celsius or about -49° Farenheit.

I suspect it might have been different if not for the warm, fully charged batteries.

Best of luck.

View my Photos
taheide
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-12-20          102600

damn, thats cold. it was 25 in my garage, took three attempts to start this morning, the last I put my foot on the throttle and pushed it just a hair and she fired right up, but ran really rough, so I idled it outside and let it run like an F16 on takeoff for about 10 minutes. Looks like I will need to get the cord out and plug it in tonight.

Iowafun, that rear leak you talked about, I forgot to reply to that. Mine does the same thing at the pinion, in fact there are quite a few of them that do that, its a common thing, so dont be surprised if it happens again, it isnt anything that you did or hit, its just one of those FORD issues that crop up like the Cackle and crappy transmissions. I am not even going to bother touching mine unless it really starts to drip, I just make sure I check the level and top off as neccessary at every oil change, which I have not needed to do yet, the level is fine. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-12-20          102602

I second taheide's comments on the rear seals.

Almost everyone I have ever seen weeps a little around the pinion, enough to dampen it that's all.

If you can find it loccally try adding some Lucas Gear Oil Supplement to the diff. next time you top it up, the stuff is VERY gooey but works miracles.

Best of luck.

Link:   Lucas Oil Products

View my Photos
Iowafun

2004-12-23          102863

Sorry for late reply Murf, I'm in Fargo this week.

The rear seal leak is not just a little weaping. It's a puddle on the garage floor. The whole underside of the differential is soaked in fluid. So it's beyond a little leak. So I'm getting that fixed.

It's been 125,000 miles with very few problems and no money put into it except for filters, and oil. New tires at 93,000. So it's been a great truck. Bout time I spent a little money on it. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login