Ford 9N purchase??: Antique Tractor -- Ford 9N 2N 8N  -- Antique Tractors Discussion Forum and Review Ford 9N purchase??: Antique Tractor -- Ford 9N 2N 8N -- Antique Tractors Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Antique Tractor -- Ford 9N 2N 8N Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 04-30-2004, 13:54 Post: 84792
thipp473

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Ford 9N purchase??

I am a first time tractor buyer looking for a unit to use on 10 acres. About 7.5 to mow (nice pasture) and 2.5 woods that needs some serious cleaning out of multiflora rose, and of course snow removel from a 700 foot slightly inclined driveway.

I've looked at all the big names (NH, JD, Kubota) 4WD, hydro with loader and rear mount mower about $18,000 give or take. I ran into a Ford 9N that has been restored, looks and runs great with a loader, all new hydralics etc. The guy who restored it is asking $5500.00 and for $800.00 or so I could add a mower to total around $6300.00. My question is am I going to be happy with a 9N with a loader, obviously no 4WD etc. manual tranny, no power steering or brakes. Looking for a little advice, well actually alot.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Technorati | Furl | Stumble This

04-30-2004, 14:34 Post: 84793
shortmagnum

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Ford 9N purchase??

thip473, I love my 9N but I have to say it is somewhat limited especially for loader work. I tried a friend's 8N with a loader and it did not work any where near as well as I expected. Also, I assume you are talking about a rough cut mower. The 9N pto is direct drive when engaged and the momemtum of the spinning cutter will tend to push you forward when you step on the clutch to stop. There is a fix for this.

For $6300 you are getting close to what it would cost to get a used 4WD CUT with the same or more horsepower. In it's day it was probably the best you could buy. But remember, the 9N is between 62 and 65 years old.
Dave

04-30-2004, 14:47 Post: 84796
thipp473

Filter by User
 Ford 9N purchase??

Shortmagnum - Thank you for the advice, that's generally what I've been learning about the 9N. Your home/land sounds awesome and the pictures look great.

04-30-2004, 15:52 Post: 84802
shortmagnum

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Ford 9N purchase??

thipp473, Thanks for the compliment. I love my little farm too.

I didn't like being so negative about the 9N because it's got so much soul. If you're willing to do things at its speed, you can accomplish much with it. One thing it does have going for it is it stability on hills. I've probably driven ours for 40 years and never felt the sphincter warning system go off until I tried to take my new Kubota on the same sidehill that I'd used the 9N on many times.

If money is an issue you can probably get a nice running 9/2/8N for $2000-$3000 and be able to get your money back easily if you don't like it. Better yet, the Ford Jubilee is similar sized but has both live hydraulics and pto for around $3500 or so. Up in the $6k range there are many possible tractors that could work for you, but most are not as compact in size as the N series or have as low a center of gravity.

Have fun looking.
Dave

08-03-2004, 21:01 Post: 92640
stevenc

Ford 9N purchase??

THIPP,,be SURE you know what "live" lif and "live" PTO mean,,BE SURE YOU KNOW!

04-17-2006, 14:33 Post: 127854
Bostock

Ford 9N purchase??

question regarding the old Fords - what kind of HP (particularly at the PTO) do they typically have? I have a small farm, maybe 5.5 acres of field to work (basically flat or slight grade). Mostly bush hog, some post holes to dig etc. Could an old Ford handle that? I have been shopping the NH and Kubotas, figure i need 25-30 HP. But i have seen many 9n's and 8n's for sale - and i know NOTHING about them. Any one with sound advice?
Thanks!

07-04-2006, 19:42 Post: 131695
brokenarrow

Ford 9N purchase??

I just got my old tractor running again after a long long re-build job. Mine is a 2n,8n hybred. Yes, it can handle post holes wonderfully. And yes, it can run a brush hog BUT Heed all the other guys warnings here about the dangers of a live pto and brush cutters. At 5.5 acres, a tractor like this may be your ticket! make sure your very mechanically inclined cause you MAY need to be (or may not if your lucky).
I would vote against using it for a brush cutter if I were is a crowd and put on the spot but in all honesty, my old tractor and a brush cutter would work just fine if the driver used his head ALL the time.
Be safe and good luck
BTW
Mine would pull a 2 bottom plow all day long!

07-04-2006, 20:24 Post: 131696
earthwrks

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
 Ford 9N purchase??

I had a 9N for about a year and a half before selling it and buying a new New Holland TC33D. The difference is nite and day---4x4 traction, hydrostat drive, diesel, reliability, suspened seat, cruise control, tilt wheel, telescoping wheel, SuperSteer, locking rear differential ---a full ROPS and seat belt. Oh yeah power steering! The 9N with a lodaer will be a bear to steer with a loaded loader. The loader is really for cleaning horse/cow stalls, not moving dirt necessarily. IMHO anything over $3000 and you might as well make that a down payment on brand new one at 0% interest perhaps---I'm jis' saying.

Do yourself a favor though: if you're leaning toward a new one but can't afford it now---DON'T even test drive a new one. Buy the 9N and be happy and act as if it's the best thing since sliced bread. Like they say, "You don't miss what you never had" (or at least that's what I tell myself when I see new toy...errr...piece of equipment----yeah, that's it.

07-05-2006, 07:15 Post: 131705
kthompson

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
 Ford 9N purchase??

I used a 601 Workmaster which is newer than the N's. If you buy the tractor be sure you install an over running PTO clutch, it really could save your life.

In my part of the world the price of those tractors has been dropping. As a dealer pointed out to me and the age has been pointed out already, those who grew up with this tractor are not doing much buying any more. This seems to hold true with most collectors.

07-05-2006, 10:03 Post: 131713
BillMullens

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
 Ford 9N purchase??

I don't have anything against the 9N/2N/8N tractors but there are better choices for the same, or less, money. The 801 series can be found with power steering and live PTO, and have more HP. The price you quoted for a restored 8N is high, in my opinion. Unless you're a real collector I think you could find one for quite a bit less that would be just as functional.

For around $4000 you could easily find a Massey Ferguson diesel like the 135 that is 35 HP, independent PTO and hydraulics, and power steering.

The negative side of that is you'll have to put up with or repair the occasional leaking seals, a little oil consumption, and worse overall appearance.

Like Earthwrks says, the old tractors are adequate for what you're looking for, but using a new one would ruin you pretty quick. Although I do enjoy using my old Farmalls.

Good luck,
Bill

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Antique Tractor -- Ford 9N 2N 8N Forum

Thread 84792 Filter by Poster:
BillMullens 1 | Bostock 1 | brokenarrow 1 | candoarms 1 | earthwrks 1 | iamhistory 1 | kthompson 1 | shortmagnum 2 | stevenc 1 | thipp473 2 |

Most Viewed

+ 8n hydraulics
+ Market Value 1951 FORD 8N / Sherman Trans
+ Rear tiller for Ford 8N tractor
+ 8N timing
+ logging winch for 8N?
+ Ford 9N purchase??
+ Oil in water but no water in oil?
+ Dirt Scoop
+ Antifreeze in the oil this time fellas
+ Front Loader Hydraulic leak

Most Discussion