Go Bottom Go Bottom

Ford 8N Electronic Ignition Installation Problem

View my Photos
DarrellTX
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2015-11-26          194098

Local mechanic made service call to replace spark plugs, plug wires, and install Pertronix Ignitor 1244AP6 on our Ford 8N, 6V positive ground with side mount distributor. After installation and a few cranks, the whole distributor turned and seems to have cracked the timing gear cover.
Distributor was not pulled prior to ignition installation, only afterwards for troubleshooting problem, expecting to see gear at bottom of shaft shattered, but all was intact. No debris, loose parts, etc. were found in the distributor. Screws used from the kit appeared shorter than original ones.
Crack is in vicinity of distributor gear. Gear cover has vertical, raised cylindrical section that appears to conform to distributor gear and shaft, with another adjacent raised section that angles off up and right from bottom of cylindrical section.
The crack runs horizontally across narrow indentation near bottom of raised cylindrical section, then up along side of it and across top of adjacent raised section.
Photo and description of cover can also be viewed at Store, Tractor Parts section of YesterdaysTractor.com, Ford 8N Timing Gear Cover Part Number 8N6019B
All owner could find was that mechanic installed Ignitor part off center instead of centered.
Do you have any idea what could have caused the rotating magnet mechanism to jam? Could such jamming cause the gear cover to crack? If not, what could have cracked it?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
DarrellTX

2015-11-26          194099

Photo of cracked timing gear cover ....

Picture Link
Antique Tractors Ford 8N Electronic Ignition Installation Problem

View my Photos
DarrellTX

2015-11-26          194100

Closeup photo of cracked timing gear cover ....

Picture Link
Antique Tractors Ford 8N Electronic Ignition Installation Problem

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2016-05-18          195199

Possible ignition wires put in wrong position on distributor cap. A GM dealer did that to my car doing a broken timing belt repair. The mistake caused broken valve rods etc..

Could be installed wrong kit... ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login