Go Bottom Go Bottom

8N timing

View my Photos
lectricdan99
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2013-03-31          186525

just got my 8N running,new points new plugs and cleaned under distributor plate. was full of dirt. my question is did i inadvertantly free the mechcanical advance weights because it backfires at high speeds.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

8N timing

View my Photos
mikesloane

2013-03-31          186527

If you are getting backfiring at high speed, I would suspect that your ignition timing might be off a little.

MIke ....

8N timing

View my Photos
lectricdan99

2013-03-31          186528

ok thxs, i tried to find a video on timing it,but have had no luck. my next job is to remove valve covers to replace leaking gasket and look to make sure i dont have a valve issue. number 3 cylinder seems week and i do have sum engine seepage issue. ....

8N timing

View my Photos
mikesloane

2013-03-31          186531

While the owners manual probably has the correct timing procedure, if your 8N has the side mounted distributor (which is most common after 1948), then you just loosen the clamp holding the distributor and adjust the timing "by ear" turning the distributor in one direction or the other. Before you start, mark with an awl or similar where you are starting from, so you can go back, if necessary. Just loosen the clamp enough so that it takes a little effort to turn the distributor - you don't want it moving by itself. Then run the engine up to speed and move the distributor a little bit at a time until the backfiring goes away. Then tighten the clamp. It won't take much movement of the distributor to make a big difference. All this assumes that you have the point gap correct - incorrect gap will impact timing.

Using a timing light would be the preferred method of setting the timing, but "shade tree mechanics" have been doing it the way I describe above for many years.

All that being said, the other reason for backfiring at speed could be too lean a mixture. In that case you just have to open up the mixture screw a little. If that doesn't help, then maybe it is time to overhaul the carburetor and clean out the gunk clogging the main jet.

Mike ....

8N timing

View my Photos
lectricdan99

2013-03-31          186533

ok,rebuilt carb last year took it back off and cleaned it the other day.the jet you refer to is the large one i assume. one and a half turns is i good starting point i think. and yes i need a shop manual but 38$ is kinda steep.also i,ve been looking for parts but boy are there some price differnces out there. i want to find something local that i can trust. any parts suppliers that you suggest? just feel like im chasing my tail some times.i wired my front lights last week and ended up taking off both headlight assemblies to clean them and put on dielectric grease to make a ground path to the hood. thks again ....

8N timing

View my Photos
mikesloane

2013-03-31          186536

I don't have the manual in front of me, but my memory for that Marvel Schebler carburetor suggests that you need much more than 1-1/2 turns for the main jet. You might need as many as 5 turns before you get the right mixture.

Mike ....

8N timing

View my Photos
lectricdan99

2013-04-02          186554

so today had a few ah ha moments. as in trouble shooting multiple problems can be hard to diagnose. first thing was the wire to the coil was in need of repair and the post needed cleaning. also when i went to adjust the timing and found the hold down bolt was loose. also my starting skills are at question. choking it to much . its all a learning experience. thanks for all the great advice mike tc ....

8N timing

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2013-04-05          186581

Our family has a 601, much like the 8 N still. A grandson now has it. The slow speed of the starting system seems to lend itself to over-choking it. It has been years since I helped on that tractor but NAPA did carry all parts we ever needed. We found the fuel adjustment was always an issue. It would be running great, then let it sit a few days and you would have to adjust the fuel mixture screws. ....

8N timing

View my Photos
lectricdan99

2013-04-16          186735

think i found the problem. went to install new wires bought from just8ns (no coil wire in premium set :( ) coil wire was cracked. hope to post pics when im done. ....

8N timing

View my Photos
46bugs

2013-04-16          186736

I would also on the old gas engines use a good fuel additive,Lucas is really good,I have a show tractor a 1956 F-40 Ferguson and I use the additive and Boost in it.
But the 8 N was made to use 103 octane as the Ferguson and John Deere and today the best you can buy is 91 ,so I use an octane boost,I get at o'reilly and every two tanks of fuel I add lucas. to a tank,You can tell a big differents in how that tractor will run. ....

8N timing

View my Photos
mikesloane

2013-04-16          186737

I very much doubt that the 6.5:1 compression ratio of a Ford N requires 100 octane gas. Remember that the octane rating of gasoline relates directly to the anti-knock capability of the fuel. Or to put it another way, higher octane gas permits proper combustion as you increase the compression ratio. So "boosting" the octane if the engine isn't knocking or pinging accomplishes nothing. Higher octane gas isn't "more powerful" and doesn't burn any cleaner or protect your valves.

Mike ....

8N timing

View my Photos
lectricdan99

2013-04-17          186752

just finished final assembly. gas pouring out the bottom of carb. put a new needle and seat in it last year. looks like it time to rebuild the carb again. p. s. dont put permatex on carb gasket. that just ruined my gasket. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login