Go Bottom Go Bottom

Antifreeze in the oil this time fellas

View my Photos
franki_pea
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-03-28          161481

I've come to the internet and this club to get help with why I have milky oil and a ton of sludge, when I drain the pan of my 1951 Ford NAA. Coolant does go down very slowly over time and hrs.) I use it in the harsh winter scraping snow and could do it in my sleep this year.
I'm assuming a cracked block or something ugly&costly.
Lastly while I'm ripping it apart, what should it cost me to have someone who knows the tricks (I understand there are several) rebuild the short block components and rework the head and valves? I can decompose to this point and deliver to where ever.
Much appareciated.
franki_pea

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-03-28          161482

I know where you're at, but I bet no one else here knows, fellow Michiganian. Me. I'm north of Monroe.

Sludge, especially brown, is, well, normal. My 9N did it and my buddy's 2N too. It's nearly 60 years old so you can't expect too much.

It's likely just a head gasket. Remove the radiator cap, and use a rolled up paper towel as a sponge to soak up the sludge. Yopu will have to repeat this several times to get it out. But you'll probably never get it all out. You might want to change the coolant and keep an eye on it just in case. ....

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-03-29          161507

I hope the decomposing refers to the machine, not the owner. Yes, could be cracked block or warped head, but it's typical for a tractor to need a new head gasket once in its lifetime.

Why don't you get a service manual and new gasket, remove the hood, and get a good torque wrench. Lots of steps but each is simple. Store removed parts in order so you have each at hand when reassembling. If the engine is shot, it will not have cost you all that much to give the most likely problem a try.

If that fixes it, run 5-10 hrs with rad cleaner, Drain and repeat until coolant is clear. ....

View my Photos
franki_pea
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-03-29          161511

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll go after the gasket first and see what it tells me.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login