Go Bottom Go Bottom

Deep Fry or Roast Thanksgiving Turkey

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-11-19          181275

I have seen an increasing number of people deep frying their Thanksgiving Turkey. That sort of shifts the Turkey prep into a Dad thing out on the drive. Wondering how the guys that are doing that like the job and the results :)

For me I am on a low fat diet so I think it would not be the best thing for me, and what do you do with all the left over oil?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-11-20          181282

We haven't cooked deep fried but have had it served to twice. Neither of us thought it was as tasty or moist as a traditional oven baked turkey. My opinion is that it is an interesting curiosity, like deep fried Twinkies. The best Turkey I ever had was done at low temperature in a BIG BBQ using a rotisserie with a horizontal burner. That was one delicious turkey!

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2011-11-20          181283

Dennis;
I've neve deep fried a turkey, or anything for that matter, so I'm only quoting hear say from the son in law. Last Thanksgiving the SOL's brother did the deep fry thing on their deck, the oil somehow caught fire and nearly burned the house down, so be carefull.
I don't care for turkey in any form, so no comment on taste from me.
Frank. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2011-11-21          181290

Well here very popular. Then we will fry bout anything, even corn. Frank has pointed out a very real point on this and that is the fire danger. DO NOT COOK on a flammable surface!! That is however usually brought about by over filling the oil. The suggestion is to place the turkey in the pot to be used, fill with water oh about two inches from the top, remove the turkey and measure the water. Think the more common deal is to use the cooking oil and do this with cold pot and oil and then remove the turkey until the oil is heated. Many many will over fill with oil when new to frying a turkey. You can always add oil, but hard to take out that boiling oil.

The fried turkey is a different taste but can be very moist and if not something is wrong. Most who fry a turkey use heavy seasonings along the line of creole but varies. My favorite is the way I cook them using a smoker and a pot of water over the fire to create a steam bath. Very moist and wood flavored meat. Regardless of the method be sure to let the turkey set a few minutes before you est it so the moisture can settle back into it or as the pros say let it rest. Regardless of method do use thermometer. Over cooked is tough and dry and undercooked is infection.

If you have a enclosed grill one of the best methods I have ever found is to use a disposable pan, fill with charcoal only lighting one side, place turkey in pan with it filled with water and uncovered. Light, close the top and regulate using the vents. You will need to keep adding water (you can use other liquids for flavor) and will need to turn the turkey over so brown on all sides. Very simple, no mess and very good and moist if you keep the pan with liquid as it will boil off creating a steam filled cooker.

This morning I was told our turkey will be hamburgers. Bummer.

SAFETY NOTE: water in boiling oil will exploded. The turkey needs to be dry and if the pot had water allow it to boil out before putting the turkey in there.

What do you do with the used oil? Cook another turkey of course. The cost for one turkey is a lot but you can cook a few with the same oil of course you can cook other food behind the turkey but some will let the oil cool fully and filter and save. I let my wife be the one who says toss the oil. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2011-11-21          181293

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthompson | view 181290
.......If you have a enclosed grill one of the best methods I have ever found is to use a disposable pan, fill with charcoal only lighting one side, place turkey in pan with it filled with water and uncovered.......

Hi Ken,

A couple summers ago my wife wanted to cook a turkey in 98 degree heat. So I told her I could cook it on the Weber Gas Grill. To which she looked at me real weird like I was from Mars for suggesting such as thing.

So I take the bird and do major surgery on on him, split it so it lays flat, remove the waste so you are left with a massive split bird. I run the two outer burners center off on low, heavy duty aluminum underneath for about half the time.

Everyone raves about the taste...

The one thought I was interested in is that cooking the turkey outdoors turns part of Thanksgiving into a tailgate party type of event for the guys, and do those of you that do it like that or are you sorry you stepped in.

Now in the summer my wife will look at me and ask me to get grilling that bird, it became another item on my honey do list :( ....

View my Photos
Murf

2011-11-21          181295

Having one foot on each side of the border I get 2 thanksgivings!!

The Canadian one was October 10th this year, it's the second Monday in October.

I haven't yet found a way or oven that cooks a turkey any better than the 1880's cast iron cookstove (wood burning) in the kitchen of my farmhouse. The oven is heated by directing the outlet of the firebox underneath the area the food is cooked in. Very innovative technology for back then even operates a baffle to keep the temperature surprisingly accurate.

The key is that the bottom of the oven is a heavy steel plate that holds the heat well, and gets very hot while the flue gas is passing through that chamber.

The roasting pan has a raised grill that holds the bird up out of the drippings and I put a second pan on the bottom rack, when I baste the bird I put some of the fat into that lower pan. When the oven calls for heat that fat gets to popping it's so hot.

The result is a turkey that's partly cooked and partly smoked.

Man does it taste good!!!!

Oh, that and when you baste add a tablespoon or two of brown sugar to the drippings, it makes the skin caramelize and seal in the juices, and makes it taste really good!!!

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2011-11-21          181298

Dennis, might surprise some people but I learned a while back a watch pot does not cook any faster. LOL. Have gotten to where can set it and as the commercial says forget it, well for about 15 minutes or 30 depending on cooking. If in the smoker will forget it for an hour unless making major temp adjustment. You could get one of those remote thermometers and cut down on the trips. When I am doing such cooking normally outside working so it fits. It also gets me away from the noise inside so I like it but we don't make it a tailgate deal normally. Be very careful when lifting the turkey up as it will be full of boiling grease.

Ted, might need to check out the wood stove in my father in law's shop he left me. Here is what I know, the heavy metal is better cooking than the thin stuff.

View my Photos
earthwks

2011-11-21          181299

As far as left over oil, you could turn it into biodiesel. Think of the deeelicious smelling Koboty exhaust. :) ....

View my Photos
Murf

2011-11-21          181303

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwks | view 181299
As far as left over oil, you could turn it into biodiesel. Think of the deeelicious smelling Koboty exhaust. :)

True story. The electrical utility in Toronto experimented with "biodiesel" in their fleet. They did a 24 month study using a variety of blends between 5% and 25% recycled veggie oil added to regular 'Dino diesel' fuel.

In the end the only category that was a real surprise was "health & safety".

The employees had all put on weight, it seems they have to keep the trucks idling to run hydraulics etc., and the exhaust smelled like french fries, so the guys were always hungry and snacking.

Serious!!

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
earthwks

2011-11-21          181305

Kenny I didn't get my invitation this year for TG at your house. Musta got lost in the mail. Oh well. But don't choo worry I'll be there. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2011-11-21          181306

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwks | view 181299
As far as left over oil, you could turn it into biodiesel. Think of the deeelicious smelling Koboty exhaust. :)

I don't know much about biodiesel, but the exhaust from the biodiesel buses here smells worse than dino diesel fumes, it is *nothing* like french fries. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2011-11-21          181307

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwks | view 181305
Kenny I didn't get my invitation this year for TG at your house. Musta got lost in the mail. Oh well. But don't choo worry I'll be there.

Boy what a relief, was thinking we would not have a turkey. What size pot do we need?

There has been stolen used cooking oil here and think it was done for the fuel use. The use of used cooking oil was taking all the used oil restaurants had which was saving them the cost of disposal. Remember well a person who was on local tv bragging about how he was not buying any fuel for his vehicle for all his driving and only thing that came to my mind was ROAD TAXES are still required. Could not help but wonder if he had a nice friendly visit. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2011-11-22          181308

On the cooking oil track, I went to a McDonalds for coffee one morning and noticed a large truck the size of a home heating oil truck parked parallel to the pickup lane with two large hoses running into the building. The sign on truck said oil filtering service.

The truck was not real impressive to the eye and would make you wonder about what you ate with the filtered oil that was going back in those fryers! ....

View my Photos
Murf

2011-11-22          181311

The exhaust smell depends on what "biodiesel" source they used.

With where you are out there on the Left Coast, I wonder if it wasn't MDB, microbial derived biofuel. Basically they use microbes to 'digest' algae. I saw a test of it used as jet fuel, and I gotta say, the exhaust was certainly less than pleasant.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2011-11-22          181312

Not to offend Ken but could be liberal biodiesel and conservative option there. I have found the liberal source in most arguments with fuel to stink.

Dennis, that is interesting. No idea why it would not be clean but the idea is interesting. Might be the reason McDonalds has a different taste. ....

View my Photos
harvey

2011-11-22          181314

Gotta go with the deep fry. Inject bird with a Italian dressing seasoned with some Franks hot sauce. UMMMM UMMMM GOOD!

Real beauty is 3.75 minutes per lb up to an 18 lb bird little over a hour cooking. Wife can visit with family I visit.

Use the oil 4-5 times store in corner of garage nice an cool corner dump in used oil barrel when done with it.

I did not see a note about fully thawed. There can be no frozen parts of bird going into 375* oil. It will be a problem.

Enjoy the holiday and family my friends. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2011-11-22          181317

Your so right Harvey, what is food without seasoning :)

Since I am on a low salt regimen I make up my own concoction for the shaker, a blend of cayenne red pepper, coarse black pepper and Mrs. Dash, my son and I call it D+.

I shamelessly put it on almost everything.

Harvey everytime I am going outside to do something that could have the smallest hazard I think of your accident in 2008 and make sure I have my cell phone.

Have a great holiday with your family! ....

View my Photos
harvey

2011-11-22          181318

Hadn't thought about leg in a while. I had picture of it on desk top for the longest as a reminder how quick something can happen even while being extreamly careful and expecting something.

Leg doing great. Not problems that I can determine. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2011-11-22          181326

Harvey you are right on the frozen and sorry to miss it. Dennis it seems Dept of Homeland Security reads TP for they issued warning on frying frozen turkey today.

We are safe other than exploding turkeys it seems. I feel so much more comfortable knowing this is the biggest danger my family faces.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving my TP friends. ....

Link:   DHS warns on frying frozen turkery.

View my Photos
hardwood

2011-11-22          181328

Being we're discusssing deep fried turkeys and Spam. The Mrs. did bring home a turkey, the only way I'll even consider eating it is the next day a cold white meat sandwich with enough mayo to kill the taste.
Spam on the other hand the Mrs. won't buy but I can make a treat out of it right from the can, fried alone, in scrambled eggs, pretty tasty now and then.
Once in a while I sneak off to the store and stock up on Spam and Sardenes in Mustard sauce, YUM!!!!
Frank. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2011-11-23          181331

I am with you Frank. Well my wife will buy those items and lets me eat the sardines when she is not home. Miss those little fellows they use to can. ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2011-11-24          181348

In the online Globe and Mail (the New York Times of Canada) site this morning (Th) there's a big article on deep-fried turkey.

View my Photos
Woodie

2011-11-27          181395

A number of years ago my brotherin law brought over his setup to deep fry the turkey--Wow we got hooked it was great, moister than any number of ways we tried in the oven roasting. Got my own setup and have done it a number of yrs.DEFINITLY put thawed turkey in pot and add water to cover remove turkey,mark line (for oil amount)then drain water and DRY! DRY! pot and bird prior to putting oil in and heating. Always make sure theres' plenty of 'boiling bubble' head space in pot. These where some of his instructions and i've tweaked them some. I've even used the hair dryer one year to dry the bird..ha ha. As to the used oil I was lucky enough to find a small company down the road in Parma, Mi that make biodiesel conversion systems for sale and he takes all fryer oil to demo his systems plus he uses the bio in his shop and farm as well as sells it.
Hardwood-yes I to also love Sardines, I prefer them plain in oil or water, double layer in can, the singles get a bit too big and crunchy..but smelt mmmm mm another story sometime straight up crunchy and other times butterflied and and lightly deep fried. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2011-12-16          181672

When this topic came up posted popular here, why we even fry corn and we do.

There is a resturant we like (have talked about it for Murf in his travels here) and they serve fried corn. Last trip there asked and was told they fry their cornon the cob in the oil AFTER they fry the chicken. So have you some corn on the cob ready to drop into the trukey cooker when you lift the turkery out. The flavors on the turkery have flavored the oil and it will the corn. Bet even ole Jefferrryyyy will smile at the taste. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2011-12-16          181673

I do corn on the cob on the gas grill along with everything else.

I leave them soak in a bucket of water for as long as I can before tossing them on, the only thing I do to them is to remove the silk, it burns and gives a funny smell if not.

The water means they get a combination of steam to start and a dry'ish heat to finish plus they pick up some of the smoke from the other stuff cooking.

Here's how, after soaking for 1+ hours in cold water, peel back the husks and remove all the silk. Then brush with butter or season with dill, garlic, season or regular salt if desired, and carefully fold the husks back down in the proper order. Take one or two of the pieces of husk and tie the husks tightly around the cob. Now place cobs on the grill be careful, the husks will come undone if handled too much. Cook for 10-15 minutes on medium to medium high directly on the grill, or for about 20-30 minutes on low or on the upper rack.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2011-12-16          181675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf | view 181673
I do corn on the cob on the gas grill along with everything else.

That sounds interesting, have you ever tried using HD foil instead? Maybe the husk is the magic. When I microwave corn I take a sharp knife and cut off the the top and bottom of the ear and then remove half of the husks, cook on high for 2 minutes then remove the remaining husks under cold water.

But your technique sounds much more appetizing :) ....

View my Photos
Murf

2011-12-19          181699

Foil reflects the heat initially, then once the insides warm up the foil actually causes it to over-heat because the steam can't escape.

The hulk seems to be the best compromise, it also helps hold more water making for a longer slower steaming process. It also means the seasoning and / or butter gets steamed right in.

The microwave is just too fast and extreme a heat, it goes from cold to done too fast.

Best of luck. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login