My 8 acres farming lot only has PH 4.5 :- : Farming Ranching Agriculture  -- General Tractor Discussion Forum and Review My 8 acres farming lot only has PH 4.5 :- : Farming Ranching Agriculture -- General Tractor Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Farming Ranching Agriculture Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 04-25-2008, 15:46 Post: 153249
kangaroo31

TP Contributor

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 My 8 acres farming lot only has PH 4.5 :-(

When I be suggested to spread lime. I am scared about the price, 500/ton. Need 2 tons per acre. $8000+$50/acre spread fee.
(My fault. Re-check the price, $500 perload. It is $800 for 16 ton include spread.)
Base fertilizer 10-28-28 is $700+/ton as well.
I just wondering, how can farmer make money this days. So Sad

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Technorati | Furl | Stumble This

04-25-2008, 16:23 Post: 153250
Murf

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangaroo31 | view 153249
I just wondering, how can farmer make money this days. So Sad

Our family has been farming the same lands for well in excess of 200 years, I wonder the same thing.

Best of luck.

04-26-2008, 18:56 Post: 153272
hardwood

TP Contributor

Filter by User

I don't mean to question your math but eight acres at two tons 16 ton not 500 ton. Yes raising a crop of corn is a big dollar operation now days. Cash corn at the local elevator is around 4,50 per bushel right now. For those who stored their last years crop that had a production cost of probably 3.00 per bushel they did right well. Now todays real world costs have arrived. I haven't farmed since the 04 crop year and have sold the bulk of our farml;and and now rent the remaining part farm to a neighbor. I still keep abreast of crop prices and input costs, so you are right it is a struggle to make it even with high corn prices of today. The Friday April 25'th close on the Chicago board of trade for Last Half October 08 corn was 5.42 less .55 basis means that delivered to Cedar rapids a farmer who contracted at that price on Friday will recieve 4.97 per busel for #2 yellow corn. Ok now the reality comes in. I'll list the expenses involved to grow one acre of corn now in eastertn Iowa.
Land cost 250.00
Power and machine costs, ( fuel, depreciaton on eqiopment, intrest, taxes, repairs.) 175.00
Nitrogen 80.00
Phosphate + potash 70.00
Seed 100.00
Herbicide 65.00
Crop insurance 35.00
Intrest on input costs from April till December 30.00
Total input cost for one acre of corn 805.00

805.00 input cost divided by 4,97 per bushel sale price means it takes the first 161 bushels to pay the input costs. With a realistic yield per acre of 185 bushels means tha farmer has 24 bushels at 4.97 per acre for profit. that comes to 119.00 per acre net, so a five hundred acre corn farmer could net 59,500.00 for his years effort. Nuff said. Frank.

04-28-2008, 04:20 Post: 153289
harvey

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

There is no one in Central NY paying 500 a ton for lime. The trucking cost is your most expensive cost. Not sure about lime sources in your area. But you can buy it in the east west thruway valley cheap trucking probably $35 a ton 34 ton load to get it there. Rent a spreader from a farm supply.

A 16 ton load could come in on a tri axle whole load should only be 500.

04-28-2008, 07:52 Post: 153290
greg_g

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Those lime quotes can't be right. Obviously lime and delivery prices will differ between your location and mine. But but before diesel went over $4/gal, I paid about $450 to lime 15 acres of pasture. His truck spread 15 tons at a time, and he made three trips. All I had to do was open/close the gates, then pay the guy when he was done.

Fertilizer prices are another story though. Can't speak to them, because the price per ton is linked to individual soil sample results.

//greg//

04-28-2008, 08:10 Post: 153292
kthompson

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Hardwood, don't disagree with your input cost. Here land is less but so is yeild. That Iowa dirt is special as to yeilds.

Kangroo, did you have your soil tested? Did you have it tested for the crop you will be planting? If not do that first. As to cost of lime, ask around for options. I found a local mine that produced lime as a by product for a much lower cost. Spreading it was then the issue but $10 per ton verses $30.

As how a farmer makes money...believe Murf and Hardwood about covered it. You must pay attention very carefully. For some reason I thought you were growing for a speciality market. Be carefull watching big farmers operation. Your money crop may not be of same importance to them and not get the same care and attention as their primary crop(s). A produce farm may also have field corn but will take care of the produce first as it is a most costly and potentially profitable crop.

As to when you spread lime, my limited experience is when it is needed and when you can do so (no crop in, ground dry enough to support weight and so forth). Here the best time to have such done is when everbody is having it done but near the first of that rather than the end when supplies and such can and will run out. kt

04-28-2008, 12:32 Post: 153299
kangaroo31

TP Contributor

Filter by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey | view 153289
There is no one in Central NY paying 500 a ton for lime. The trucking cost is your most expensive cost. Not sure about lime sources in your area. But you can buy it in the east west thruway valley cheap trucking probably $35 a ton 34 ton load to get it there. Rent a spreader from a farm supply.A 16 ton load could come in on a tri axle whole load should only be 500.

Harvey, thanks. I did check one lime company in Central NY. For this small amount lime their price is less than 300/ton. But my farm is in the south orange county, NY. It is over 200 miles for them to deliver. I am checking the price from PA now.

04-28-2008, 13:02 Post: 153303
kangaroo31

TP Contributor

Filter by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwood | view 153272
I don't mean to question your math but eight acres at two tons 16 ton not 500 ton. Yes raising a crop of corn is a big dollar operation now days. Cash corn at the local elevator is around 4,50 per bushel right now. For those who stored their last years crop that had a production cost of probably 3.00 per bushel they did right well. Now todays real world costs have arrived. I haven't farmed since the 04 crop year and have sold the bulk of our farml;and and now rent the remaining part farm to a neighbor. I still keep abreast of crop prices and input costs, so you are right it is a struggle to make it even with high corn prices of today. The Friday April 25'th close on the Chicago board of trade for Last Half October 08 corn was 5.42 less .55 basis means that delivered to Cedar rapids a farmer who contracted at that price on Friday will recieve 4.97 per busel for #2 yellow corn. Ok now the reality comes in. I'll list the expenses involved to grow one acre of corn now in eastertn Iowa. Land cost 250.00 Power and machine costs, ( fuel, depreciaton on eqiopment, intrest, taxes, repairs.) 175.00 Nitrogen 80.00 Phosphate + potash 70.00 Seed 100.00 Herbicide 65.00 Crop insurance35.00 Intrest on input costs from April till December 30.00 Total input cost for one acre of corn805.00 805.00 input cost divided by 4,97 per bushel sale price means it takes the first 161 bushels to pay the input costs. With a realistic yield per acre of 185 bushels means tha farmer has 24 bushels at 4.97 per acre for profit. that comes to 119.00 per acre net, so a five hundred acre corn farmer could net 59,500.00 for his years effort. Nuff said.Frank.

Thanks, Hardwood. I am growing vegetable, majorly is oriental celery. It is a fall crop, I have to prepare everything before June. To me per acre the cost is like:
1. Equipments ( It is my first year, 7 year depreciaton) is $500.
2. Power and machine costs, ( fuel, repairs).$250
3. Property Tax $200
4. Insurance 50.00
5. Lime $100/2 year=$50
6. Base Fertilizer 10-28-28 0.5ton=$350
7. 3 times Nitrogen 28-10-10 =$900
8. Harvest Box 400 count=$500
9. Hire people to harvest let said $2/box or $10/hr =$800
10. Rent truck to deliver $100/day, 2-3 times, $300
11. Seed $50

The total cost to me is $4000 at least per acre.Of couse the celery price is higher than the corn. I believe I can make some money if no big pest or weather issue. Follow this cost rate, I thought the farmer can not make money from corn or soy bean before. But looks they are fine.
Smile

04-28-2008, 13:17 Post: 153305
kangaroo31

TP Contributor

Filter by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthompson | view 153292
Hardwood, don't disagree with your input cost. Here land is less but so is yeild. That Iowa dirt is special as to yeilds. Kangroo, did you have your soil tested? Did you have it tested for the crop you will be planting? If not do that first. As to cost of lime, ask around for options. I found a local mine that produced lime as a by product for a much lower cost. Spreading it was then the issue but $10 per ton verses $30.As how a farmer makes money...believe Murf and Hardwood about covered it. You must pay attention very carefully. For some reason I thought you were growing for a speciality market. Be carefull watching big farmers operation. Your money crop may not be of same importance to them and not get the same care and attention as their primary crop(s). A produce farm may also have field corn but will take care of the produce first as it is a most costly and potentially profitable crop. As to when you spread lime, my limited experience is when it is needed and when you can do so (no crop in, ground dry enough to support weight and so forth). Here the best time to have such done is when everbody is having it done but near the first of that rather than the end when supplies and such can and will run out. kt

Kthompson, thanks a lot. Yes, soil test show everything low. PH only 4.5. Can not grow anything without lime. So Sad
This is my first year. Looks my connections are very limited. The price is local CPS give to me. They are more like you said have to take care big shot farmers first. They are all onion growers. Over one hundred acres at least.

04-28-2008, 13:50 Post: 153306
kthompson

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Are you saying the lime is $500 per ton or $500 for all you need? $500 for 16 tons spread is probably a good price. It does not seem possible you could spend $1200 per acre in lime as your math shows. There has to be a misunderstanding. Kangroo, you are not pricing BAGGED lime are you? You want to buy bulk lime and bulk fertlizer if having it spread. Bagged lime and fertlizer cost more and there is no reason I know of to buy bagged and then pay to have it spread. At this minute can not think of the lime some use in there lawns that is very expensive and it comes only in bags. THat is not what you want. It is suppose to be stronger but the price is way higher than normal agriculture lime.

I would get my lime out as soon as possible. It needs time to work in the soil. You need to disk it in. Here, they want the field disk before they spread it so it will be soft and smooth for their truck to run over it. You need to ask. kt

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Farming Ranching Agriculture Forum

Thread 153249 Filter by Poster:
greg_g 1 | hardwood 3 | harvey 1 | kangaroo31 11 | kthompson 11 | Murf 1 |

Most Viewed

+ Online Used tractor price guide
+ dump truck or dump trailer
+ Do you lend your tractor?
+ Just installed a Pat's Quick Hitch - Some comments
+ ever thought about moving?
+ Best Manure Spreaders Review
+ TRACTOR TAX WRITE/OFF
+ Hobby Farm Harvesting Equipment
+ It's raining INSIDE my new Pole Barn!