Go Bottom Go Bottom

Opinions on Fast-Hitch

View my Photos
BillMullens
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-12-09          70697

Anybody have any experience with the old '50's model Fast Hitch? I've been looking at Super C's for a year or so now, and am thinking that I'd rather have one with a Fast Hitch. This would be for a restoration project, probably used for some spring-time plowing.
Thanks,
Bill

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Opinions on Fast-Hitch

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-12-09          70698

Bill, I thought they were the greatest! They had down pressure!! You do have to watch out with them if you convert them to the three point hitch. The down pressure will bend up normal three point hitch tounges from the machine to the tractor like on a back blade. One of my favotites about that time was the 300 and 350 IH versions. You could have a shift on the go, independent PTO and power steering on a mid 50's utility tractor. Had to watch the early TA's as they didn't hold back on the low side. ....

Opinions on Fast-Hitch

View my Photos
harvey

2003-12-10          70701

Yup plowing was fun, Actually a lot of work. Going over a ridge plows out of ground. Starting up a ridge plows buried to frame. They took some getting used to. We have several guys still using them around here.

The c made good culivator tractors, for the larger farmer, and very small familys with 1-2 cows usually kept them. Then the vegatable framers got them... ....

Opinions on Fast-Hitch

View my Photos
BillMullens

2003-12-10          70749

I've been collecting antique ads and sales brochures for the Farmall C. Recently got a 30 page sales brochure featuring the Super C and Fast-Hitch. Half of it is devoted to how the FH works, and has pictures of all of the factory available implements and of the factory 3ph conversion attachment.
Getting that brochure was a mistake.
I have the fever for a new, 1953 Super C with Fast Hitch!
Of course the Farmall guys on Yesterday's Tractors think that the FH is better than a 3ph, but they may have a somewhat biased opinion.

Art, if you see a nice one up your way, let me know, OK?
Thanks guys,
Bill ....

Opinions on Fast-Hitch

View my Photos
Art White

2003-12-10          70757

Bill, They do come in from time to time but some of the best buys are at auctions. ....

Opinions on Fast-Hitch

View my Photos
yooperpete

2003-12-11          70851

I always thought the Fast-Hitch was better than the 3-point. You could not only apply downward pressure but also turn the downforce off. If you made a long handled hook, you could latch and release your implements from the tractor seat. So, you didn't need the current i-Match or quick-hitch system. I still have our Super "C", believe it is a '49 model. The Fast-Hitch must have only been made available just before they changed to the 200 models. We had a new 400 when I grew up. I've read many messages from this site but haven't joined yet. If I do, I'll post photos of it with a home made cat.II three point hitch and home made FEL. My "C" needs some work, especially since it has the original tires. I also still have the original manual and invoice, although it was purchased used. It still has enough guts, even though it needs an engine rebuild, that when plowing I can pull the front end off the ground even with the loader on. ....

Opinions on Fast-Hitch

View my Photos
harvey

2003-12-11          70854

I just gotta say this even if it's not really thread related.

We have a local guy here that deals with old Farmalls and has a salvage yard. He has restored a lot of old iron. Art you may even know him, Dick Stoyell, Anyway his favorite tractors are the c's. He pulls them at antique tractor pulls and usually does a very good job I've seen him load them down with weights to pull in the heavier stock classes and whip tractors twice his size.

The c's were and still are very common around here. If anyone is intrested I will keep an eye out for them the weekly swap sheet always has something.

Opinions on Fast-Hitch

View my Photos
Art White

2003-12-11          70893

BR, I didn't even think to bring up the point of being able to unhook from the seat!!!! Just think that was back in the 50's! Here we are in the next century and we are still trying to get away from the old Ferguson!!! To look at the new extendable hitches on the arms that are so much like what we had over 40 years ago with the fast hitch. I remember a lot of customers that had the shed laid out so they could just back in and click click drive away with a differnt attachment and never leave a sit but to connect a pto shaft. ....

Opinions on Fast-Hitch

View my Photos
Art White

2003-12-11          70894

Harvey, Dick's name is very well recognized in New York. He has some very nice equipment that he displays at many shows around the state. ....

Opinions on Fast-Hitch

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-02-24          77764

Could'nt pass up the opportunity to talk about the IHC Fast Hitch. I've been collecting Fast hitch equipment for several years. I'd have to wander thru my "Reserve Equipment Storage Lot", or as the wife calls it that "Blankety Blank Junkyard" to know for sure what all I've collected, but I know I have several different moldboard plows, rowcrop cultivators, carry alls, plus other stuff I've forgot. I grew up when the Fast hitch was popular. I've still got two 656 Farmalls with fast hitch, one completely restored for parade use only and the other I bought new in 1965 and we still use it almost daily. Between my Dad and I, I can remember 5 tractors we bought new with the old style planetary TA. To this date neither Dad or I have ever had a TA go out. The 65 model 656 that my son and I still use daily has the original TA with 6500 hours. Those were great old tractors I really don't know how many letter series and number series tractors I've got around, some parade ready, on down to boners. I could visit for hours on old Farmalls, but I do have to go to work, so I'll quit for now. Frank. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login