Go Bottom Go Bottom

5 7 hemi gas mileage

View my Photos
peppers
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-07-03          89954

Does anyone know the gas mileage of the 3/4 ton with 5.7 hemi and high gearing? I'd love to go for the diesel but the five grand option is a little steep for me.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

5 7 hemi gas mileage

View my Photos
Blueman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-08-18          93782

I am about to purchase a 1500 Quad Cab with the hemi and the 5 speed automatic...I'd like to know real world experiences with the gas mileage as well, that is the only reason I have been hesitating.... ....

5 7 hemi gas mileage

View my Photos
yooperpete
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-08-18          93784

Go to dodgetrucks.org and go to forum. That should tell you more than you want to know. ....

5 7 hemi gas mileage

View my Photos
Chief

2004-08-18          93789

hemi and gas mileage in the same sentence is kinda like military intelligence. Expect around a steady 12 mpg average from what I have read and heard. ....

5 7 hemi gas mileage

View my Photos
Blueman

2004-08-18          93793

Chief, I'd like to be able to buy the Cummins, but the extra $5K+ is hard for me to justify, since I will not be towing or hauling heavy loads primarily. I hope your # is on the low side, the EPA rates this truck I'm looking at 13 city, 17 highway, and much less than that, I'm in trouble! ....

5 7 hemi gas mileage

View my Photos
AV8R

2004-08-18          93804

Someone mentioned before (Chief?) that if you "drive barefoot with a pinecone on the accelerator" you will get better milage. That is the bottom line with fuel economy, driving style. Anything can get good or bad milage.

You could work out the math on how long you expect to keep the truck, time and milage, and the fuel savings of the diesel (15 mpg loaded/20mpg empty diesel to 8 mpg loaded/12mpg empty gas) to see if maybe you would be money ahead to just pony up for the diesel now or just to see how long it would take for the diesel to "pay for itself." ....

5 7 hemi gas mileage

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-08-18          93818

Back to school

Two pickup trucks leave the dealer. The diesel gets 20 mpg and pays $1.75 per gal. The gas gets 12 mpg and pays $2.00 per gal. How many miles do they have to drive so that the diesel saves $5000?

Cost gas - cost diesel = $5000.
X(mi)* $2/12mpg - X(mi)*$1.75/20mph = $5000.00

Solve for X (mi)

X(mi) = $5000*1/($2/12 - $1.75/20) = 63K mi

Pay them now, or pay later.
Dave ....

5 7 hemi gas mileage

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-08-18          93819

The diesel will have better resale value too, which should be factored into the decision. ....

5 7 hemi gas mileage

View my Photos
Chief

2004-08-18          93822

While we are doing all the factoring; don't forget to factor in the cost of maintenance difference. Most diesels require about 3 gallons of oil vs. 5 qts. for the typical gas V-8, diesel fuel filters must be religiously changed at around 15,000 miles & are about triple the cost of a typical gas filter. My preference is by far for the diesel and Cummins ONLY. In most cases, the pay back period is about 100K typically. With the recent vast cost difference between gas and #2 diesel this year; that pay back period will get cut considerably if the price differential remains the same. I prefer how a diesel drives and its pulling ability while at the same time being very efficient. Do yourself a favor...........drive the hemi pickup and then go test drive a Dodge 2500 equipped with the Cummins HO. Having 600 ft./lbs. of torque at about 1,800 rpm (nearly double what the hemi makes at 4,400 rpm) makes a huge difference in drivability and especially towing. The hemi is a great engine and if you do not have towing in mind and like a fast/peppy V-8; get the hemi. You're gonna hate the gas mileage though. Even with the smaller engine options, the mileage will not be much better as the smaller engine must work that much harder to move a heavy vehicle. In the end it falls down to personal preference. Another point to consider is engine life. The Cummins is designed to go 400K between overhauls (and it can do it with reasonable care). Not many if ANY gas engines will make it past 200K if they make it that far. Some will but not many. I kept my Nissan for about 17 years before I sold it. The diesel will last that long and still have a good resale value as Ken already mentioned. ....

5 7 hemi gas mileage

View my Photos
KiotiDave

2004-08-18          93825

I have the 3/4 ton heavy duty with the Hemi. When I haul tractors on my trailer the truck averages10 to 12 MPG regular driving in the NH hills is aprox 15MPG. I also have a GMC 8.1 w/ alison and get at best 8-9 MPG just driving around. I thought about the cummings, but figured the 5K would buy a lot of gas and the noise would be much less. The cummings is a great engine but it is the loudest I've driven. Good luck. ....

5 7 hemi gas mileage

View my Photos
AV8R

2004-08-18          93835

Are you sure you drove one? The new Cummins (not cummings) is as quiet or quieter than either the Ford or Chevy diesel. The older (pre 2003?) Cummins motors were more noisy, but no where near as bad as an older 7.3 or 6.5. Noise, smoke and lack of power are just not factors on any of the newer diesels. Reguardless, that is the most musical and beautiful noise you could ever hear.

I agree the new big block gas motor from Chevy is nearly as much of a gas hog as the V-10 Dodge. They do go like heck though! ....

5 7 hemi gas mileage

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-08-20          93904

Av8r - I disagree with you about the (pre) 2003 cummins being quiter then the 7.3 or 6.5. Infact, It is a well known fact that it is the loudest in it's class. Great motor for sure & Lyle Cummins is a genious but definitly not quiter then the 7.3 or 6.5. ....

5 7 hemi gas mileage

View my Photos
AV8R

2004-08-20          93990

I owned a couple of 6.2 boat anchors (opps I mean motors) and I thought the Cummins was quieter Especially when cold). Maybe I'm just blinded by love? Dunno. Appologies offered if needed. ....

5 7 hemi gas mileage

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-08-21          94016

It could very well have been blinded by love but thats understandable. I love the niose anyway : ) ....

5 7 hemi gas mileage

View my Photos
Blueman

2004-11-17          100445

Just a followup...I've got 3200, mostly highway miles, no trailering yet, on my 1500 Quad cab Hemi. I've tried to watch my heavy foot...a chore with 345HP under the hood. I live in SW PA with rolling hills. For the last 1000 miles, I've averaged 15.7 MPG. I can't be too disappointed with that. ....

5 7 hemi gas mileage

View my Photos
bigbru

2004-11-18          100535

Expect around 12 MPH average maybwe 14 on the hyway ....

5 7 hemi gas mileage

View my Photos

2004-11-19          100579

7.3 IS LOUDER OUTSIDE,BUT WHEN INSIDE A PU W/ XLT TRIM IT SEAMS QUIET COMPARED TO THE RAM W SLT TRIM ....

5 7 hemi gas mileage

View my Photos
BenEAmonette

2004-11-22          100770

When I purchased a truck, I liked the Dodge and found a great deal on one, but steered clear because of the mileage. I have never talked to a Dodge owner (gas) that did not have a negative comment on the economy, even though they may have liked the rest of the truck. I purchased a Chevrolet 1500. Now it does have the small V8, 4.9 litre, 270 HP, 5 speed manual, but I get an honest 20 mpg on the interstate on reasonably flat ground, if I do the speed limit. In my opinion, for what it is worth, there are 2 valid reasons for buying a diesel, the first is because you want one, the second is that you need the power. However, I do not think economy is a valid reason. At least around here, diesel fuel is higher, you will spend twice as much on oil changes, and you pay dearly for the diesel option. Look at all the brands and their specs. Approach it with an open mind to all brands. Along with the economy considerations, look at the repair histories as well. Good luck. ....

5 7 hemi gas mileage

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-11-23          100777

Ben; I also drive an 04 chevy 1500 equiped identical to yours. standard cab, long box, bare bones, 4X4 work truck. I do have a gooseneck trailer that I pull, but probably haven't pulled it 500 miles this year yet. If I run short of power I just shift down and get there when I get there. I only checked it once on a day long drive without the trailer, and yes an amazing 20.5 MPG. Diesels are fine if you just like having a diesel or if you are hauling big loads day after day stacking up a quarter million miles before trade or salvage time. I just happened to notice when passing a truck stop yesterday Diesel was 2.09 and super unleaded was 1.89 Frank. ....

5 7 hemi gas mileage

View my Photos
AV8R

2004-11-23          100790

On average the milage needed to overcome the fuel cost is about 30-50k miles. The diesel option will take longer. (For my truck it worked out to about 100K) People who buy the diesel pickups usually put many more miles on them using the longer life of the heavier motors to overcome this cost.

I agree about the milage issue, GM seems to have the best gasser truck in that aspect. They easily beat the Dodge and Ferd. (my father-in-law has a 4.7 Chevy, he also gets 20+ MPG) ....

Link:   1 reason why I love my Cummins

5 7 hemi gas mileage

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-11-23          100794

A little off point perhaps, but don't overlook the Tundra. With a high tech, 32 valve engine and 245 HP and I get 19 mpg around town, 22-23 mpg on the road and 13 towing the 5th wheel or the tractor. ....

5 7 hemi gas mileage

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-11-23          100808

I am glad you spoke of the Tundra. I have been contemplating on adding one to my fleet but have been concern about it's towing capacities. Can it safetly tow a 7 - 10 k dual axle tailer with a 5000 lbs machine on it? ....

5 7 hemi gas mileage

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-11-23          100831

They have kicked up the power on the 05's. It makes 282 HP now and is still rated to tow 7100 pounds with a total GCWR of 11,800 pounds. ....

5 7 hemi gas mileage

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-11-23          100838

Wow - thats pretty stong. What is the price tag on a 4 wd with auto tranny? ....

5 7 hemi gas mileage

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-11-23          100844

Standard cab 4x4 with the full size bed is about $23K MSRP ....

Link:   

Click Here

5 7 hemi gas mileage

View my Photos
Chief

2004-11-23          100850

Diesel fuel is more expensive now because petroleum production is geared towards heating oil production. I remember this Summer when diesel was nearly 75 a gallon cheaper than gas. I just got back for a 300 mile round trip to the ranch and I got over 24.5 mpg with my Cummins powered Dodge. I agree though; diesels are not for everybody but I am SURE happy with mine and will never have a gas engine truck again. ....

5 7 hemi gas mileage

View my Photos
AV8R

2004-11-23          100853

Amen, Chief. BTW watch for me on TDR now too... ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login