Go Bottom Go Bottom

Has That Thing Got a hemi in it

View my Photos
Misenplace
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-06-30          58605

Any one have one of the new Hemi engines yet ? I am looking at a SWB 4x4 1500 Reg Cab, Laramie with the Hemi. I was pretty suprised to find out that Dodge is the only manufacturer left makeing a SWB reg cab with a leather option. Anyway 345 Hp does sound SWEEET. My neighbor offered plan price (friends and family) so I am thinking about it with the 60 mos 0% deal.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-06-30          58609

Doc.......... can you say "gas toilet"????? Those hemi's can suck the gas down too. But if I were you and wanted a hot rod pickup; wait a bit, Dodge is coming out with a bigger hemi in the near future. That should really be a cool engine! ;o) ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-30          58610

lol, Aren't all gas engines in trucks guzzlers ? oops thats right they get the same fuel economy as the diesel. LOL !!!! I think Right now the bigger Hemi is just part of the Rumor mill but if they do come out with it it wont help me. It'll wind up in a muscle car or a mercedes or even a 2wd road truck, but honestly I think thats about it. I do hear they ARE fast. Going to test drive one next week after the 4th. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-30          58611

Yeah Doc, I need to get one of those engines Willie modifies for my Sea Ray. That 454 can suck down 10 gallons per hour on a good day. I heard the hemi's are pretty quick. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-07-01          58624

About 13 is the number that gets tossed here in conversations on fuel economy. The next line is about the power and having a hemi! ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-07-01          58631

Art, I wouldnt be suprised if 13 was on a good day. Hey Chief I know what you mean about the sea Ray. We used to have a 34' with twin 350's. That was when gas was cheap (er) and it still was a small fortune to cruise or fish for the day. Do you keep yours in the water or trailer ? One of our neighbors at the lake has a Donzi 454....wow is it the Shi$% ! I mean that thing sounds like a dragster comeing down the beach. Way tooo much fun in a 20' 2 seater !. My wifes office is on Anchor bay between Lake Huron and Erie. At one of the Metro perks here on the water they have a really nice boat show at the end of every year. You get to see all of the cigarette style boats with double and triple 600's cruiseing the river. We could talk boats a long time old friend, thats another passion entirely. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-07-01          58649

I keep the Sea Ray on a trailer. It is lot easier for me to keep an eye on it that way and the problems of leaving it in the water such as agae growth, mound, and mildew are minimized.
It is like pulling the circus to town when I pull her to the launch ramp but it is really not that bad to launch and retrieve. Just have not had the time this year to use it yet. I was going to get it ready this week but some new jobs came up and now the weather is crap. The Cummins makes pulling that beast real nice.

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-07-10          59233

Well I bought the Hemi last night. Got the Friends and family plan with 0%. 1500 SWB reg cab, hemi, Laramie package with every single friggen option. The 20" wheels are very nice. First impressions are that it does not seem that fast after getting used to the Duramax which is FAST from 0-60. Sounds way tooo cool. Drives nice, very tight on the corners. Infinity stereo. They need to take some lessons from Ford on interior deseign and seating but overall a VERY nice truck. I cant complain my wife has driven the bronco for 8 years and put 97,500 miles on it. So it gets a 4 sale sign today. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-07-10          59238

Just talking with another freind last nite, he gets ten plus with the hemi for mileage. He just got his two weeks ago and only has the first tankful done. Says it does pull his boat better then his old truck. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-07-10          59245

I am sure thats about right. Especially when you put your foot in it just to hear it rumble. lol. Anyone who is the least bit concerned about fuel economy should steer clear of the Hemi I would think. The on board computer when I looked at it going down the highway was 7 mpg. lol But with 345 hp....Who cares !! :) ....

View my Photos
Murf

2003-07-10          59253

Doc, congrats on the new rig, I only hope your missus lets you play with a little, LOL.

I can completely relate to how addictive that right foot induced rumble is, however, I don't like the limited cruise range that 7-10 mpg leaves you with.

I compromised, I chipped and tweaked my Powerstroke, replaced the Garret turbo with a Banks and then added some 4" plumbing behind it, the result, 375 hp, a rumble that makes Hondas cringe and a heck of a kick in the seat of the pants on takeoff, LOL.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-07-10          59257

Welcome back to the Dodge family Doc! Have you layed any good rubber patches yet??? ;o) We'll gradually get you eased into a Cummins yet. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-07-10          59274

Overall I personally was just not that impressed with the Hemi. The salesman just about pooped his pants when I shrugged my shoulders. The bronco is a 351C with 210 Hp. He tried to tell me the hemi would take the ford by 2 sec in the 1/4 mile. Not a chance. Then he looked at the duramax and realized that I was already used to real power and kinda shut up, which from my perspective is one of the smartest things a salesman can do. lol. I believe there is a limiter chip that turns down the HP 15% for the first 500 miles, to prevent the rubber laying with a new engine. When you are rolling and kick it it is impressive, but not so much from a dead stop. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-07-11          59331

Good luck with your new truck Doc! Will the misses allow you to tune it up a little? Chief, you do have a trailer full behind your truck don't you! ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-07-11          59333

Tune it up ? It better not need a tune up for a LONG time ! lol. With 345 ponies to drive the boss to and from work I doubt she needs any performance mods. I am going to drive it to our property tomorrow to break it in :) ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-07-11          59337

Boat: a hole in the water into which one throws money.

Chief's boat: a really big hole in the water........ ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-07-13          59404

We took the Hemi for a long cruise yesterday. The first 500 miles were not breaking 12.4 mpg. After 500 It did seem to have more power and the fuel economy climbed to 13.5 by the time I was at 750 miles. Overall Its very nice. One major complaint which I assume will be consistant with at least all 1500 series Dodges. The front end components leave a LOT to be desired. The upper and lower A frames look like they belong on of those battery operated kids toys. The Rotors are way too small in relation to the wheel size which has me thinking 25k will be max life on the front brakes with the 20" wheels. The major complaint which I personally consider a real safety concern is that at normal highway speed (75 mph) when cornering even a slight corner and hitting even a slight bump the front end equipment is so inadequite for the height of the truck that it feels like the front end is going to collapse. The front wleels actually seem to float or loose controll then grab. It is very disconcerting to say the least. I would not have any difficulty believing that at 85 in the same situation would roll the truck on a normal highway in clear conditions. The hemi will not light em up, but I think that is rather point of the 20" wheels which are massive on a reg cab short bed. The stereo is incredible and I have had some very high end sound systems. I give it five stars for fun factor, 2 for fuel economy and 1 for safety/ride. ....

View my Photos
cutter

2003-07-13          59408

Congratulations on the new truck Doc. In my opinion they are the best looking rig in today's market. I test drove the 1500 similar to yours (but not as fancy) prior to purchasing the 2500 in 2002. It had the smaller v8 and seemed to have adequate power for the average Joe, but lest I forget we are not average Joe's here with our boat towing, tractor hauling, gun toting personalties. I too noticed what appeared to be fairly light components in the front end, however I have seen them with heavy plow units and they seem to hold up OK.

I ended up with the 2500 4x4 that was still sporting the previous body style. The new sheet metal came out in October of 2001 for the HD Dodge and I was impressed with the underpinnings and power of that model. If I ever trade again it will be for the HD with a HEMI, but so far I am happy with mine. BTW my 360 Magnum runs about 12.5 for average driving, never check it on a trip but I assume the sticker rating of 14 will be the limit. I have the highway gearing with OD, that was the trade-off for not being able to get limited slip differential according to the dealer. He stated once you plug that into the order it automatically kicked it up to 391 gears as opposed to 355. Perhaps he just wanted to sell what he had on the lot, I don't know. I have a plow on mine and quite honestly can not tell the difference with or without the limited slip once that 600# is over the axle.

I noticed on the Dodge website a few months back a new Viper powered pickup. Sounds exactly like the one you have except the Viper engine was in it. One of the truck magazines ran a test on it and stated the only competition for this truck in power/handling was Corvette and Mustang. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-07-13          59414

I know this is a Dodge thread, but I have to jump in here on the gas mileage vs. power issue.

A couple weeks ago I drove up to Seattle to pick up a 5000# 5th wheel travel trailer for my sister. I pulled it home with my Tundra. You might remember the Tundra, it's one that is not a real truck, 7/8s size, underpowered, etc.

I was driving against a time schedule and not operating with economy in mind. Still, it averaged nearly 20 mpg on the way up and 10 to 11 mpg coming back with the trailer in tow.

The thing that really impressed me was climbing Donner Pass on I-80 which tops out at nearly 8000 feet.

Things got a little clogged up near the top and I was forced into high speed, low drag, California grab ass, pedal-to-the-metal traffic in the left lane.

I dropped it into 2nd and topped the pass at 70 mph with some revs and gas pedal left over.

This strikes me as a good balance between performance and economy. Just my two cents. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-07-13          59420

Mark, I know a lot of the assembly on the toy otas are in the USA but in Michigan with a UAW family and all my neighbors who work for the big three and a huge portion of my buisiness from their employess I would probably be shot or hung (maybe both) for driveing a jap truck. I have lived many places and that attitude is not presant else where like it is here. Haveing said that I am still no mopar fan, it was just what the big boss wanted. Its probably not too realistic to expect a 345 hp V8 to Muscle truck to do much better. Not that I wouldn't like better fuel economy and add to the montly tag the fact that it really likes to eat premium. Me, I'll stick with a diesel, I really cant imagine going back to gas. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-07-13          59421

Cutter, dodge claims a 10% improvement in fuel economy over the 360 magnum. I would say that is possible on a REALLY good day. I did luck into finding this one. It was factory special ordered with every option by someone who backed out on the deal. Now I just need to sell the Bronco so I can pay off the JD. Payments ....Argh. Mark, I should say to me personaslly what ever works for each of us is the berries no matter what brand or model. I hope the above does not read as a "bashing" as that is not my intent, I just never even look at foreign cars for the above reasons, you know, forbidden fruit and all ! ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-07-13          59423

Not the greatest pic but see photo # 5 or 6 ....

View my Photos
cutter

2003-07-13          59425

Number five is a great looking truck, is number six the neighbor in the pool? ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-07-13          59427

About twenty years ago I had an acquaintance who took great umbrage at my Datsun in the driveway.

Even though I also had a Ford van, he spouted all the nonsense about how he and his Pinto were patriotic and I was not. So I finally embarrassed him by showing him documentation that parts of his Pinto were made in Brazil.

So he bought a new full size Chevy (a Caprice I think)and stopped by the house to show it off and repair his reputation as a true patriot.

It was a lot easier this time. All I had to do was show him the label on the door frame that said "Made in Canada".

That was the last conversation we had about my patriotism.

I don't think there is a truly American car any more than there is a truly American tractor.

I saw a pair of Danner boots the other day that said "Made in China" on the inside. Nothing is sacred anymore.

And you are right. My Tundra was made in America, but I doubt it was made with UAW labor. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-07-13          59430

Mark, I hope it goes with out saying that it was not my intent to make any suggestions about your patriotism, veiled or otherwise. Its just the area I live in now and it is in my opinion vital to good buisiness to support those who support me. I simply never even consider theese vehicles. I do understand your point but I dont really see the tractor analagy as their really is no other choice there. In point of fact I believe the Tundra has more us made parts than my truck but it was not made by the UAW so in this neck of the woods it is a bit of a step child. Good or bad its just the way of it. If I were to disccuss our patriotism I would say something along the lines of what a sad day it is that I can not remember the last time I bought cloths that were made in the USA. It is indeed shamefull that our only preffered trade nation is China who counts on political slave labor to keep production costs down, So much for the Giant of Freedom and democracy for all. Well for all at least as long as its profitable. hhmmm, a bit of a digression from trucks. Cutter, LOL !! Na, not the neighbor, thats me on monday morning at the Detroit Zoo. Its a cryptic message...the truck is as tuff as a bear lol. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-07-13          59434

Doc, Neither did I intend to imply anything. Just meant to say that I've had these issues arise before.

Won't buy a Colt 1911 for the same reason. But I will gladly pay Kimber or Glock for their efforts. They come out of the box already "fixed".

Two Toyota's, one Yanmar and one Kubota. Even the nicest firearm I own is made in Japan. Says Winchester all over it, but it is straight from over there.

I completely understand the geographical differences. When in Rome...... ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-07-14          59450

a good point indeed. Are the Marlins still made in USA ? ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-07-14          59460

Every blessed one of 'em.

Marlin did buy some Mauser actions in the late 50's or early 60's to build a not too successful line of bolt action hunting rifles.

As far as I know that was their only venture offshore. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-07-14          59464

I'm likeing the Marlins more and more ! I am trying to find someone local who has one of the new cowboy rifles in 44 mag with the 20" octagon barrel. Everyone still has the cowboy 2's in stock with the 24" barrel so it might take a while. I intent to send it to Doug TurnBull to have the receivor case colored. ....

View my Photos
GJ Archibald
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-07-23          59971

I own a 2002 Dodge 1500 Sport, loaded with options, including 20" rims. I like the way it looks, but it is a gas pig ! I only get 12.5 miles to the
gallon.....I was on a family trip to Canada with my family
and my father was getting almost 20 miles to the gallon
from his 6 liter 300 + HP engine in his Cadillac Escalade !!
This is my second Dodge and may be my last. My first one
had the transmission fail at 50k miles. So far, I have
had a fan replaced due to getting check engine lights, the brakes worked on at less than 25k miles, the lettering had
the chrome peal off and numerous other minor problems.
I bought this one due to the 7 year/70 miles warranty at the time. At least if this tranny goes, I will be covered. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-07-23          59974

I am currently averageing 13.4 mpg burning 94 octane. But it sure sounds cool. Without the Hemi I'd get rid of it in a flash. The "wow" factor of the hemi is the only way to justify the fuel cost. In regards to the brakes, with 20" wheels and a higher center of gravity I would consider 25k normal milage before brake repair, another caveat of a SWB and a high COG. ....

View my Photos
BillMullens

2003-07-23          59986

A friend of mine has a quad cab, 4wd Ram with off-road package, I think it is a 2000 or 2001; with the 360 he gets about 10-12 mpg. My 2wd 2003 regular cab with 4.7 5-sp gets about 15-18 everyday; I averaged about 13.5 towing my Farmall (2400 lbs) to Wytheville and back. With the 20" wheels, mine is geared too tall. Have to use 3rd gear on some of the hills right between VA-WV. But still can maintain 65 mph. The Hemi wasn't available when I got mine, that would have been a tough decision. I really like manual trans.

Bill ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-08-11          61512

Well at 1890 miles the hemi is DOA with the engine light on. Here we go with the electronics Fun. Arrgh ! ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-08-11          61519

Sorry to hear that. Keep us posted. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-08-11          61533

Doc, What going on with your hemi? Sorry to hear she is acting up. Hopefully it is nothing serious and the dealer will get you back on the road in no time. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-08-11          61576

right now it looks to be down for two days with a defective selenoid on the Trans and they apparently never installed the ball check on the trans at the factory. ooops ! ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-08-11          61580

Well, isn't that special. That is nice to find out after the fact. Hope they get you squared away to your liking. ....

View my Photos
cutter

2003-08-11          61583

That can happen to any vehicle. We have a fleet of new one ton Chevy vans at work and they have all been in the shop for a week at a time for wire harness replacements. The lights start going screwy and it gets worse by the day. I am sure once this it taken care of you will feel better about the whole thing. I hope they gave you a loaner! ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-08-11          61584

I dont usually ask for a loaner unless I really need it. They only have so many and I wouldnt want someone else who really needs to get to work to be stuck. Its really no biggie, Actually I was relieved the darn thing at least threw a code so I didnt have to hear those dreaded words... We couldny find anything wrong ! lol. Have you solved the scattergun situation ? Time to get in shoot shape for this fall. Its just around the corner. ....

View my Photos
cutter

2003-08-11          61587

Glad to hear it is not an emotional drain doc. I have done nothing with the scattergun. Have been using my Stoeger O/U and not doing too badly for limited time to shoot.

Had last week off and spent it digging ice storm stumps and a 400' trench for electric to my barn (rented a mini excavator). Cleaned up by Monday night and was at the Empire Farm days Tuesday morning. Will be back on the range Thursday night with any luck, missing my usual three or four per round. Catch you later. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-08-12          61691

I got the hemi back today. Thet replaced a number of tranny parts either missing or defective. Either way all is working well. Service was fast and Friendly. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login