Go Bottom Go Bottom

Loose Steering Fix for Rams

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-05-06          54401

Any of you have loose or sloppy steering on your Ram? Mine wondered all over the road and I had the dealer replace the steering box and damper. Part of the problem in the box flexing the frame when steering with adds to the steering wonder problem. Here is a link to a good fix for this problem.

Link:   Loose Steering Fix

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-05-13          54826

I have not seen it on mine, but I have a 2 wheel drive 3500. I wonder if some of the wander is the straight axel of the 4x4, bump steer. The steering arm on the 4x may be longer to provide more ground clearance and therefore greater twist to the frame. With my truck the other factor would be weight of the frame, due to the 3500.

The biggest problem I had with my box when new was that it was a little stiff. It had a dead point in the middle and it was difficult to swing smoothly right to left or left to right. This smoothed out with wear. ....

View my Photos
Bob Horrell
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-05-26          55656

Go to www.turbodiesel.com and you will find a link to a fix for the problem. There are 2 possible fixes. One is a Lukes Link for your trackbar. Have someone turn the steering wheel and look at the ends of the trackbar. If it is flexing at the drivers side where it attaches to the frame, the Lukes Link will help. It is only about $65 for the link and it is rebuildable. Also look at the pitman arm where it comes out of the steering box and see if the steering box is flexing away from the frame. If so, there is a fix for this as well. It incorporates a bearing around the output shaft of the steering box that is attached to the frame to stiffen up the box/frame connection. I don't have this fix on my truck but I hear it works well. I will get one soon. I have the Lukes Link and it works as advertised.
Good luck.
Bob ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login