Go Bottom Go Bottom

synthetic oil

View my Photos
franksturges
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-09-18          135276

OK...here's a topic that's probably been thrashed: should I use synthethetic oil in my new Dodge 2500 Cummins diesel?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

synthetic oil

View my Photos
bloggins
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-09-18          135278

My principle reason for using synthetic oils is for the excellent cold weather starting and running properties (engines and transmissions make real ugly noises below zero). But seeing that your in Mississippi, you're probably looking at it for other reasons, such as extended oil changes (may void your warranty) and superior lubricity (might not be all that noticable in a high torque diesel). If you got the extra coin, then why not? ....

synthetic oil

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-09-19          135282

frank,

I went to synthetic oil first when doing my own changes. I noticed it was very hard to hold onto the oil filter being taken off that had the synthetic and no problem on the normal oil filter. Both oils were same brand and the normal oil was their best grade.

In my first pickup when I changed the oil only my mileage went up sufficient to pay for the difference in price. This was a V-6 Dodge. When I went to same oil in my large V-8 Dodge it made NO difference in the mileage, but I did keep on using it.

My nephew fround his Ford diesel ran cooler with the synthetic oil with that being only change. Don't remember what he said about mileage.

I was using Castro Synthetic and about a year ago found out they were not making their oil the same as they were and wonder if that is why the mileage did not increase with the V-8. BTW, no longer use the Castro due to the way they make their current synthetic. It is not a true synthetic if memory is correct. Oh, what is true synthetic? A discussion I have seen touched on here in time past.

My vote is for a good synthetic. ....

synthetic oil

View my Photos
Murf

2006-09-19          135287

Kenneth, I don't know what your nephew carries or drags around with his truck, but we can't make ours get above normal operating temperature, regardless of what we try to pull or the weather.

As for synthetic, no doubt it's good stuff, but with the luck we've been having with Dino oil, it's sort of overkill. We have an old F-Super Duty (an F-450 from before they were called that) with nearly a half million miles on it. Almost every one of those miles is loaded and or pulling a trailer.

Now bear in mind, it has a 5spd. tranny with 5.13 gears in the back, so in overdrive it hits the governor, 3,450 rpm, at 68 mph. In other words almost all of those 500k miles were at WOT!!!!

It still performs just fine, it doesn't burn any oil or have any blow by.

It has had an oil change every 3,500 miles since it rolled out of the factory.

Best of luck. ....

synthetic oil

View my Photos
Art White

2006-09-19          135290

I'm trying it in my wifes car for the simple reason that it should work out to one change a year for me. I'm trying some high mileage stuff and a once a year change not just the filter although they say it will go further with only a filter change at that point. I've found the oil to get dark quickly but seems to do everything right compared to high quality gas oil that was changed every four to five thousand miles she had no mileage change and the car has never had problems cold starting here in NY. She is putting about 12,000 miles on a year. This is on a gas engine in a 2003 Subaru. ....

synthetic oil

View my Photos
Chief

2006-09-19          135292

test ....

synthetic oil

View my Photos
Chief

2006-09-19          135294

Frank, I believe the owner's manual still states that there is no break in period for the Cummins but in my opinion and in other posts and articles, it generally takes around 20,000 miles for the Cummins to get run and broken in good. Although you can use a synthetic oil, I would wait until you have at least made a few long trips pulling a heavy load before you change over to a synthetic oil.

I use John Deere 15W-40 Plus 50 which is a synthetic blend. I tried Shell Rotella T 5W-40 synthetic last winter with good results. I purchased a 55 gallon drum of the John Deere 15W-40 Plus 50 since I use is in my tractor as well.

I use the Fleetgard filters. I buy them from Geno's Garage.

I posted this earlier and it disappeared. If the lost post appears my apologies. This attempt number 4. For some reason the board software does not like the link to Geno's Garage. ....

synthetic oil

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-09-19          135296

Murf,

Biggest thing I know he pulled was 40 foot horse trailer with a couple of horses,loaded running about that WOT on the interstate. Also running large trailer loaded with a heavy hay. All I know is he told me it ran cooler. It did run guage. His was a F 350 with 5 speed manual. About 70 to 75 was tops best I remember. It liked down hill on interstate! LOL ....

synthetic oil

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-09-19          135304

Ken: The "Castro" oil; did you buy that and some cigars from a guy named Fidel by any chance? He lives on an island south of Florida. Must be only available in South Carolina, huh?

Ohhhhhh---you meant "Castrol". My bad.

And like Murf mentioned about running hot, my '03 Cummins has never gotten off the "normal" mark even pulling 15,000 lb. through the mountains---and yes, the gauge works. ....

synthetic oil

View my Photos
franksturges

2006-09-19          135311

Whoa!!! Looks like I hit a hot topic...still inconclusive though. I think I'll go by the book (owner's manual) until out of warranty (100K for the Cummins). Picked truck up today and logged my first 75 miles...mpg indicator swooped from 16 to 17.something at 70mph average. I'll be pulling a Kubota L39 in a few months. Thanks everyone. -fs ....

synthetic oil

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-09-19          135312

I get about the same mileage on my '03 H.O., 4x, quad cab, short box. At 45 mph I can get about 27-28; at 60, 18-19, 70, 15-17. Pulling 15,000lb. with a full tank, full box, and two riders with the A/C running all the time over 1200 miles from Michigan to Mississippi I averaged 12.4 mpg. My buddies in Super Duty's got 9-10 and some were pulling only 8-10,000lb. I friend suggested going to the larger tires that come on the off-road package like he did and his mileage increased after 70mph. ....

synthetic oil

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-09-19          135315

Using a proper grade synthetic will not void your warranty.

There are break-in issues though, as Chief mentioned. ....

synthetic oil

View my Photos
Peters

2006-09-20          135320

My Cummins was not broken in, ie milage improves until after 20K. I did not use synthetic until this point. I have only used the Shell Rotella as I have trouble finding anything else. I might resort to Chiefs trick at the next oil change. The semi is as good as the full in my experience with my 97 Ford and the price is right at the Deere Dealer. The Lucas 50/50 is probably better than the Rotella. ....

synthetic oil

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-09-20          135321

Eric, I would be very interested in your opinion of Lucas products when you have a minute. ....

synthetic oil

View my Photos
Murf

2006-09-20          135323

Mark, FWIW, we have "stress tested" a lot of the Lucas products over the years.

IMHO, they are *all* top-drawer stuff.

Some of them make a serious difference. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone based on our very favourable results with them.

Best of luck. ....

synthetic oil

View my Photos
Peters

2006-09-20          135335

DR I have not tested any Lucas oils. They are a full synthetic, aliphatic oligomers, but I am uncertain as to have much production they do and how much is simple formulation. I have a hard time getting Delvac 1 here or I would probably go that direction. I would not swear on a stack of bibles that Lucas was not just buying from ExxonMobil, Royal Purple of some other manufactures and just formulating. ....

synthetic oil

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-09-21          135342

Good ole EW,

FYI there is a Castro oil. Try about 2 tablespoons and it will give you reason to move quickly and not in circles...unless hunting for a place to land! LOL

Did you miss the point we have a lot in common with Fidel; we both were attached by the US Fed Gov, we both grow tobacco, we both have a lot Spanish speaking people, northern liberals like it here and want to tell us how to do it. and we neither care how they do it up North! LOL

synthetic oil

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-09-21          135344

Good ol' Kenny:
Castro = Cuban Dictator.
Castro oil = Actually "Castor oil" (but misspelled), which is made from the castor bean.
Castrol oil = A brand of motor oil, that Kenny likes.
Caster = Usually a small two-axis wheel; also an automotive term referring to front-end alignment.
Casper = A friendly white ghost.

You are quite welcome, Ken! :)
Jus' keepin' ya honest. ....

synthetic oil

View my Photos
Peters

2006-09-21          135346

Ken Castrol was castro oil initially and the republicans held the White house both during the time of civil war and the Cuba revolution so maybe it was the conservatives not the liberals? As most Canadians can attest to, you can even burn the place and it does not stop them from trying to tell you what to do for the next 200 years. ....

synthetic oil

View my Photos
cowpie1

2007-05-26          142486

Regarding Lucas products, I know a number of people who use them. I have never done so. I just use Amsoil synthetics throughout.

Came across this though that might be an interesting read. The website is pretty reputable.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm

Might help you make a decision on whether to add Lucas products. I have no dog in this hunt. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login