Go Bottom Go Bottom

Anyone have leaky dodge cummins

View my Photos
denwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-06-25          112768

I have been shopping for another dodge cummins for several months now. I have looked at all for sale in 50 mile radius with reasonable miles. So far, 16 trucks I have gone to see, all 2500 slt 4x4 long bed, loaded, 2000 to 2004 with 12000 to 84000 miles. Not one has been acceptable. These things are leaking junk. Friday I had a bank check in hand for $29000 to buy a 2004 quad slt 4x4 with 12000 miles. I realize it was under warranty but the undercarriage was so covered with oil, you could not touch anything without a thick coating even the exhaust. Dealer said it was power steering that had been fixed, just never cleaned. Other issues as well, so check went back to bank and he sent truck through Manheim auction and it only reached 28500 so he didn't sell it. Today 2 trucks, just hit the lots at dodge dealers. 2001 with everything and 55,000. Leaking transfer case, oil pan. 2002 with 30,000 miles, leaking transfer, oil pan, power steering pump. Manager said his shop was tough and didn't miss anything. He didn't have much to say when he looked under and saw all the leaks for himself. these trucks were cherry from head to toe until you went under. I have looked at Fords for a comparison and they all have had only a little oil moisture at the bell housing, nowhere else. One Dogde dealer had a 2000 with 55,000. I was ready to leave the house but when I called, he said don't bother coming it just came out of the shop and has so many leaks we cannot afford to fix it so it will go the auction. The dealers seem to have no interest in fixing the leaks under warranty if there is one just to set them on the lot. I was almost to the point of buying new till I saw the 2 2004s. the 1 with 40,000 miles was on its second tranny and was not quite right still. I know the warranty will cover it but I'd be there monthly and that is a hassle. Is there anyone with a totally non leaky truck like this, I mean no moisture anywhere other than a little at the bell housing. Where the hell is toyota with there full size?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-06-26          112770

denwood, ALL Dodge Cummins pickups have a crank case breather bottle that is supposed to be serviced at each oil change. Most folks are not even aware of this. If it is not properly serviced and cleaned; it will blow residue all over the oil pan and front timing gear cover. Just a chore to look after owning a Cummins. You can get a techical service bulletin applied that will reroute the crank case breather tube applied if you take it to the dealer and tell them that the engine dumps oil on steep slopes. I have over 30,000 miles on my Cummins and she doesn't leak a drop. I put half of a Gym sock rolled up in the crank case breather bottle to absorb the normal blow by but you will still have to wipe off the fan and front timing cover at each oil change. Just part of owning a Cummins. They ALL do this; some more than others. Not the best design, but still the BEST diesel on the market in my opinion. ....

View my Photos
denwood

2005-06-26          112789

I forgot to add to that post I am well aware of the bottle design flaw, and I am sure it did not cause the leaks I see, although all have had oil mess from that bottle. I am talking about drips of oil hanging off front and rear transfer output, being slung 360 degrees by shaft. Oil running out of the power steering shaft where it meets the engine, a constant supply coming from the oil pan, not just some spillage from oil changes. Another of the trucks I looked at had tranny line leaks and when I got to the dealer, they already had it on the lift to fix them. this was not a dodge dealer, VW and it was the managers personal vehicle. A/c also dumped and they found the evaporator in the cab had gone bad. That made number 2 with bad A/c when I got to the dealer. I had and 89 and a 93 cummins no problems, dad has a 97, only the most minor of problems. I just wonder if I am looking for the holy grail, wife is tired of going on goose chases and I am now worrying about new, maybe I should just settle for a tweener truck. tween now and when Toyota makes a diesel fullsize. I am getting close to just saying the heck with it I don't need a $20-34,000 problem. Ford all but out, chevy isn't even in the ball game. ....

View my Photos
oneace
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-06-27          112838

Are you looking at 12V, 24V, or both? I have a 2003 Power Stroke and love it. Buddy of mine has a 2004 Cummins(24V) and it is not bad but very high maintenance and I could pull him all over the parking lot. ....

View my Photos
denwood

2005-06-27          112840

Trucks are kind of like tractors, I could love almost any kind if it is good to me. I was looking at the newer dodges. A friend stopped to see me today I asked if he got a new truck since I didn't recognize it. It was a loaner from the dealer. His 2003 Ford 6.0 dually with 37,000 miles was in the shop for the 8th time. Erradic idle tons of black smoke, won't accelerate poor milage, and to boot the A/C compressor went out. Dealer has already put new injectors, now they say it is a pcv valve. They found metal bits in the A/c so whole system has to be flushed and comp replaced. He still loves fords but is ready to get the lemon law into action. Same story from my chevy buddies just different problems. ....

View my Photos
wr5evk8jj

2005-06-28          112852

denwood -- Toyota does make diesels, and they are great. So far, it appears that they choose to market them in their non-US markets. The absolutely best vehicle that I have ever had was our 2002 Toyota Landcruiser GXL Turbo Diesel in Australia prior to relocating to the US late last year (2004). I really did look into bringing back, having it converted to left-hand drive, and all. It's just that Toyota-US does not support it and I was worried about service in the long-run. There's a picture of it in my pictures, the 3rd one. That particular vehicle replaced a 1998 Toyota Landcruiser GXL with the 6 cyl petrol engine (4500cc) which replaced a 1993 model (80 series, again with a 4500cc petrol engine). The 4200cc turbo diesel was stronger, far quieter and smoother; even my wife noticed the difference. The diesel also got just about twice the range per liter of fuel when compared to the petrol engine. I could push to 800 km on 150 liters of diesel (95 ltr main and 45 ltr sub tanks) on bitumen (pavement) compared to about 500 or so with the petrol. In-town driving was to fill-up every 2 weeks with the diesel when compared to every week with the petrol, and the price of diesel and petrol was essentially the same. Never was there even the hint of a leak; the only "wet looking dust" that I saw was around the oil drain following a service. There was also larger displacement diesels there from Mitsubishi, Hino, Volvo, and others. When outside of the metropolitan areas or even the town there, diesel-engined vehicles seemed to be those that were preferred. In the larger vehicles, those that would be a step up in size from the small "utes" (utility) or pickups, diesel was about the only ones that one saw. All that I can figure out so far is the market here in the US continues the reliance on gas, or petrol, shunning diesel; sort of a tradition. I really wanted another diesel when returning back here late last year, but settled for another gas-engined Toyota since I could not find anything that I really "fell in love with." And I did look at Ford, GM, and a few others. Although this did not address the thread of the forum, it was a parallel thought to it. ....

View my Photos
StephenR

2005-06-28          112871

A Toyota salesman told me last year that Toyota was going to start selling full size trucks here this year. Oh well, guess you can't believe a salesman, imagine that. ;^) With all these horror stories, I'm holding on to my '92 pickup until they do. ....

View my Photos
denwood

2005-06-30          112958

Well I pulled the trigger for a new one, 05 cummins quad slt 4x4 8' bed etc. etc. First new American vehicle in 10 years. I hope it behaves. Also realized I have had my 1993 toyota pickup for 4.5 years, longest I have owned any vehicle. 152,000 miles and never in shop for other than wear/consumable items andd I never babied it. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2005-06-30          112959

Did you order the "Mega Cab"? I wish I had that much room in my Dodge. Did you order it with the 6 speed manual? I will be looking forward to some reviews after you have owned it for awhile as well as your new owner intial review. If it is anything like my Dodge Cummins; I am sure you will be VERY happy with it. I know you are gonna LOVE the 325 hp & 625 ft/lbs. of power available to your right foot! ;O) ....

View my Photos
denwood

2005-06-30          112973

No mega cab, that is for 06s and I don't think they will be here for a few more months, dealer said october or so. I really don't need that much room yet and with a long bed if they even offer it with that would be really huge. I went with the automatic since it was the newer 48re '4' speed, '8'00 pounds of torque, 'R'ear wheel drive, 'E'lectric control. I too enjoy the manuals but around here, the folks are overpopulating and traffic gets terrible if we head 45 minutes in any direction. That much stop and go lets me sympathize with road ragers and a clutch makes it worse. The auto also lets me squeeze out the a holes that want to jam their car in the single car length between you and the next car better. I did test drive one of the 610s last week and while I just didn't feel right letting is completely loose while the engine is so un broken in, I let it rip a little. Very impressed. The HP of this diesel is 75 more than both of my trucks combined. Toyota 125HP gas, Mitsubishi Fuso 125HP diesel. I think my 89 cummins was only 185HP. The only trucks slower than mine are unimogs. Thats about to end! I pick it up tommorow. ....

View my Photos
lucerne

2005-07-01          113004

denwood, the first year Ford 6 litre had alot of problems, they all had electrical/computer problems that for a while the dealers couldn't fix. I saw one on a lot a 3500 dump, with 12000 miles, spotless. I asked if it was forsale, they said no, it was going to be crushed as soon as Ford picked it up. No one was allowed to buy it at any price, they wanted it off the street.Another one with 20,000 miles at a dealer was marked so low and was in such good shape I had to try it out, it didn't idle and ran like it was about to blow. The 7.3's didn't leak oil but the oil pans rust out which you have to remove the engine to change. As far as Dodge, the delivery truck that delivered my 10 ton trailer was a Dodge, he had 36,000 lbs of trailers stacked on behind. I asked him how long he thought he could get away with that, he said, that it had a boost kit on the turbo, it was I believe a 2002 or 03 and had 303,000 miles on it, he said he thought it was doing pretty good, where, that all it has ever done is haul those kind of loads all over the country.He has had no problems so far. ....

View my Photos
tractorbrad

2005-07-02          113021

Denwood, hope everything went well with picking up your new vehicle. Give us an update after you have a few miles the beast. ....

View my Photos
AV8R

2005-07-04          113059

(Denwood: The '89 Cummins was 165 hp from the factory.)

'Lion: The Mega-Cab will not be available with the 8' bed, probably ever. It would require a differant frame and I don't think that D/C will do that. (They aren't even making a cab-chassis available because of frame issuues.) Kind of a waste in my opinion, heavy truck with the best motor but a 5' bed. I can't justify a short bed on a pickup. (IMHO)

Still, the Cummins is best diesel available for a pickup, no contest. Best of luck with it! (Pictures??) ....

View my Photos
denwood

2005-07-04          113064

Wow is what I can say about the new truck. Soooo quiet soooo powerful, how can the 2 go together. Then throw in good fuel milage. I added a picture, number 14. The wife doesn't think the tires will last very long and I am still trying to be gentle. Pulling out quickly through an intersection, you can hear the tires wanting to break free, one time we went through a little puddle and then back on dry highway and when 1st ended, second barked. I have put about 200 miles on and it has all been back roads in the rolling hills of SE PA and northern MD, with a bit of idleing and putting around the house and neighbors farm, at the bay, etc. Right now about 18.3 MPG according to the computer. I started it when I left for the Chesapeake Bay and when I got there it was 20.5 MPG. It went down with all the putting around. As far as what I got-- 2500 SLT package, the color I wanted, would have gotten the 3500 but you can not order anymore and all the moron dealers have is 3500 short beds. Power seat(must have), light group, skid plates, thunder road package(includes good wheels, towing hooks and towing package, fog lights,sliding window), fold flat storage(must have), anti spin diff(most important), fold away power heated towing mirrors(very cool), block heater(standard in 2004, but the cord is optional in 2005 for $10.00???), BF goodrich AT tires, hood shield, bedliner. ....

View my Photos
dieselpusher

2005-07-22          113755

I own a 97 2500 4X4 12 valve with 120,000 miles. No leaks anywhere. No oil on chassis anywhere. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2005-07-27          113981

Denwwod: I have an '03 Ram quad cab short-bed Cummins H.O. 4x4 auto SLT with nearly 40K miles. No trans leaks, but the trans. inspection cover is awfully wet with oil; no other leaks. It's suppose to be "heavy duty" or that's what the badges say. Just got it back from the dealer: all new upper and lower ball joints, new hub and bearings assy's, outer and inner tie rods ends, and steering sector rod end, new front shocks, new complete front driveshaft, new front axle u-joints, and new complete rear drive shaft. All under warranty, but technician agreed I'll be back in another 30K. Told him I was happy to help put his kid through college hahaha. They told me they are seeing other HD's coming in with the same problems (I plow snow and use my truck for 90% commercial work (contracting) pulling heavy trailers so everyone may not see the problems I have had and will continue to have.) ....

View my Photos
Murf

2005-07-28          113997

A lot of the guys that plow around here have had issues with the front end in their Dodges too, both gas and diesel trucks.

There isn't a lot of Dodges that work hard for a living around here to start with though so it could just be that the few that have them are a little harder on trucks than the rest of the world.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
denwood

2005-07-28          114029

A dana 60 is about as strong a front axle as you can get and that is what dodge used to use and dodge does not even make it. Do they still use that front axle for the real trucks. They don't make any of the leaky parts so it seems. Cummins, New Venture etc. My 89 and 93 got worked and plowed lots of snow. No problems. The only breakage on the 89 was when it sank into soft soil and froze. I tried rocking it back and forth. Finally I heard a pop, and thinking it broke free, I put it in drive and went to work. When I got to work and tried to back into my parking spot, no reverse, snapped the band, but it had over 100k on it. I sold my 93 to one of my suppliers and he works it even harder than I did. I ask him about it whenever I see him and he says it is still going strong. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2005-07-29          114060

The older Dodges don't seem to be any problem at all.

Anything newer than about 2000 seems to be nothing but problems.

One fellow Ispoke to thought it was the driver, so he swapped trucks and drove the Dodge himself, it wasn't the driver. I saw him later with a new GM Duramax, when asked he said he didn't think the truck was going to make it the 3 years of the lease, so he flipped it for the GM and took the loss.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
AV8R

2005-07-29          114111

The problem with Dodge Axles is in 1994 they switched from a full floating "lock-out" style front axle to the semi-floating central axle disconnect (CAD) front axle (a-la Ford F150 and all the Chebbys).

The weight of the front of the truck rests on the axle shaft through needle a bearing rather than a hub and tappered roller bearings. Once again, fools trying to turn a truck into a car to sell 'em to the soccer moms who cant turn a lockout.

The best thing about the HD Fords are their "real" front axles. Very stout. As a matter of fact, there is a kit (Dynatrac?) available to adapt the full floating Ford parts to the Dodge (Dana) front axles. The newest Dodges (Gen III) use American axles which are the same manufacturer as for GM. Definately not Dana but at least no CAD. ....

View my Photos
denwood

2005-07-29          114112

Having to get out and lock hubs is one thing I really hate. There are those times when you really don't want to or should not get out. They had really nice systems back in the 70s, full time 4x4, with a diff in the transfer case. My W300 had Dana 60 front, no lock outs, no bs, but they wanted to add a mile per gallon so lock outs came in and ease of use went out. I plowed a lot of snow with the full time and never had to lock the transfer case to 4 lock. Locking hubs is a PITA and all the makers know it, ford had those rotten auto lockersin the 90s just like chevy in the 80s, would break often or stick. Now ford has the auto or manual things, I kind of like that idea if they are better than the late 90s models. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2005-07-30          114114

MURF: I don't agree about 2000 and newer having problems--this is my 3rd Ram and the '03 is by far the best one I've had. My '95 on the other hand was so bad Chyrlser bought it back; my '99 was a a litlle better but not much.

AV8R: You might be thinking of 1/2 tons becuase my 3/4's have pressed-in bearings. And the weight on either doesn't ride on the axle shaft, it rides on the rotor/hub; the axles go along for the ride just like in a front wheel drive car. In fact there is no weight on the axle as there is a u-joint.

AV8R: My dealer's parts guy says the '06 truck frames will be new along with a host of other things. I challenged him on it but he stood firm.

I have talked to Ford guys with 1 tons and they have the same problems with the front ends when used for snow plowing. I use a Boss v-plow which is severl hundred lb. over the allowable GVWCR for the front axle, and the diesel engine weighs almost 1000lb. more than a similar gas engined Ram so the problems are built-in from the get-go. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2005-08-01          114181

We run 8.5' & 9.5' Western V-plows, depending on single or dual rear end, on the Fords we have, no front end problems yet, including one 1999 that is still going strong with nearly 200k miles on it, plowed and worked since new.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
AV8R

2005-08-01          114186

Earth: You are correct, I stand in error. The fronts are just like a FWD car. However, the design is FAR inferior to the older tapered roller bearing on a hub type of front end.

The front bearings are horribly expensive and are even more horrible to r/r (compared to the lock-out style front end.

Denwood: I would MUCH rather have lockouts than the CAD front on my truck (and so would most others I've talked to). The old NP203 full time transfer case was stout to be sure, but it sucked gas like a monster! The trick with lockouts was to engage them before you got into trouble, then unlock for on the dry road. Not a big deal to me. It is a big deal when you loose a tiny vacuume line and cannot have 4WD from the CAD, or in the case of Chevy's bi-metalic strip the 4WD won't engage when its too cold out. ....

View my Photos
denwood

2005-08-01          114192

Precisely the reason I refused to have that automatic transfer case mom clever knob on my dash. I too would rather have direct linkage between my hand and the mechanism I want operated. Unfortunately even the fuel pedal is no longer connected to anything, I do not think the auto tranny shifter is even connected anymore, just like the JD 4310,4410 etc with the hydro pedals. Just electronics, the first most likely thing to fail. I don't really like the vacuum system either. AMC used it on the Eagle cars in the 80s and the lines could fall off sometimes. Don't they make a kit to change the cad to manual cable pull. I know chevy was so bad someone came out with a kit for them. I have lived with lock outs for a long time, 4 dodges, 1 toyota, the Fuso, it has always been a pain. I hate pulling out stopping on the side of the road and unlocking or vice versa. I always worried my chevys and amc and mitsu montero would fail me but they never did in that area. Surprised me on the chevys but not the others. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login