Go Bottom Go Bottom

valvoline premium blue extreme 5w40

View my Photos
kully560
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-01-07          103772

so what do you cummins owners think of this fairly new synthetic oil . just might put it in my 03 diesel need some thoughts thanks kully

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-01-07          103774

I have not used it yet. I believe Cummins recommends Valvoline oil. I am REAL happy with the Shell Rotella T 5W-40 Synthetic in my Cummins. It stays clean looking much longer. I changed the filter and oil back in November and the oil is still clear on the dipstick when I check it. The Walmart price per gallon is a nice advantage too. ....

View my Photos
kully560

2005-01-07          103782

waltmart has a good price on rotella saw it for 12.88 a gal. I picked up a 5 gal pale of valvoline extreme for $70.00 just could not pass it up .did you notice anything different with synthetic 5w40 as far as milage, motor noise etc. ....

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-01-07          103792

Prior to using the Rotella I have used nothing but John Deere 15W-40 Plus 50 Synthetic Blend. The only difference I have notice so far is that the Rotella 5W-40 Synthetic gives a slightly lower oil pressure at idle and gives off a signature Rotella sulphur like smell. Hence the nickname "Rosmella". It may hit full oil pressure on start ups slightly faster as well but not much faster. Fuel mileage may be a bit better but it is tough to tell in cold weather. Diesels fuel economy drops in cold weather. Pretty much it has been the same or slightly better. ....

View my Photos
kully560

2005-01-08          103820

well I just finished putting in the valvoline extreme, cold start oil pressure was right there , no smoke , but todays weather was rainy, and about 38, not as cold .also no smell ,like you were saying about rotella, big plus was motor very quiet ,notice that right off the bat . I will post how I make out on milage in the future. ps I guess I will be putting this oil in my tractor kully ....

View my Photos
Chief

2005-01-08          103821

Mine is a 2002 Cummins HO. No such thing as a quiet engine with them. ;O) ....

View my Photos
kully560

2005-01-08          103824

the 2003 model came out with higher pressure in the fuel rails so more hp and quiter motor . mine is the 2003 but 250 hp, later that year they came out with the 325 hp and different pressure again in the rails . had 2001 diesel cummins and I do know what you mean , but the synthetic did make a big difference in cold starts as to valve train noise , the synthetic starts at 5w, and the dino oil I was useing was 15w 40 much heaver when cold , but it does seem quiter as 60 mph also ....

View my Photos
cowpie1

2007-05-26          142487

This is a Class 3 synthetic. It is derived by hydrocracking process on mineral oil. It is better than the normal class 2 mineral oils.

If you are going synthetic, a class 4 such as Amsoil will be a better product. The TBN package in the oil is better. The base oil is chemically engineered and has a better shear rating.

Overall, you will benefit by going to a synthetic. The properties are just plain better. If you are looking at extended oil changes as a reason, I would advise you use an oil analysis program. It is advisable anyway because it is like having a blood workup by your doctor. It will usually detect a problem that is starting to occur within your engine so you can get a jump on it before it ruins the engine. (such as a coolant leak or air that is bypassing the intake filter). ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login