Oil Filter
: Diesel Fuel Lubrication Engine Additives  -- Tractor Maintenance Discussion Forum and Review Oil Filter : Diesel Fuel Lubrication Engine Additives -- Tractor Maintenance Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Diesel Fuel Lubrication Engine Additives Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | 4 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 10-27-1999, 00:00 Post: 9169
Ed West

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster
 Oil Filter

I just found out that the Fram PH3593A oil filter fits my Mits D2050 tractor.The dealer I bought my tractor from uses the Yanmar 119660-35150 oil filter on this model because its easier to get. But this Fram is at Wal-Mart for $2.53.Hope this helps someone.Ed

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Stumble This

10-27-1999, 00:00 Post: 9170
DennisCTB

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Oil Filter

Ed,I suggest you look at this previous post on the board before you go out and buy a case of those Frams, I have a bunch of them in my garage, and I am reluctant to use them after having numerous problems with them.I used to believe that filter's are all the same, and I think the majority of people feel that there is no difference between them. Problem is that its only that filter and your oil that stands between mechanical failure.After I had problems with my $2.50 Frams and saw the Cutaways I changed my mind, I''l pay 6 0 $7 and drive a ways to get them now.Not that any Company has much of a heritage today but Fram and Autolite are now owned by AlledSignal, I can tell you from the inside that Allied is simply a massive Conglomerate with no heart whatsoever in the Auto. The automotive sector of Allied has been dragging Corporate Earnings down for years, so "Cost Cutting the Product" and selling higher volumes have carried the day.Take a look at the cutaways and us know what you think Click here to see the Old thread then click on the link in the main message

10-27-1999, 00:00 Post: 9171
Kai

Filter by User
 Oil Filter

I have found a site about oil filters which has some interesting findings. In addition there is a link to a letter written by an engineer working in the Fram oil filter factory. I think the new Purilator filter is the best you can buy for 5 to 6 dollars. I just bought a NAPA Gold #1334 for my Mitsubishi MT210D. It cross references as follows: AC Delco PF-57, Fram PH6811, Motorcraft FL-810, Purolator L14459, Wix 51334 and Honda 15400-PR3-004

10-27-1999, 00:00 Post: 9173
Kai

Filter by User
 Oil Filter

Well the link part did not work or I don't understand something so here is the link to the "Oil Filter Study" site. http://minimopar.simplenet.com/oilfilterstudy.html And a one and a two.

10-27-1999, 00:00 Post: 9178
bo

Filter by User
 Oil Filter

I have been reading the material on filters with interest cuase I was/am a believer in frams. I have been using frams in all of my cars and cub cadet for over 15 years without one mechanical filter/oil related problem. A long time ago , I can't remember how long but over 10 years, I read a filter analysis done by Consumers Reports where they found fram to be topnotch. I have looked at the site that showed the cutaways and wonder if the small difference really mean a whole lot as compared to each filter's filtering ability. Certainly filtering ability is related to amount of filtering material but it also related to the size of the particulate matter the filter will allow to pass through as measured by micron sizes. I would be curious to know what kind of problems you had with your fram filters and just how could you tell if the problems were related to the filter. The only problem that I have ever had is when I left the old gasket on and spun the new filter on . The oil leak was awesome. This was my mistake. The fact that the frams of today may have been "QUALITY ENGINEERED" {better known as cheapened} is interesting and highly possible. I would surely like to see Consumers Reports or some other testing agency test filters again. As a last comment, If the oil is changed with regularity and frequency, and the filters available satisfy auto manufacturers warranttees, does it make much difference in which is used?

10-28-1999, 00:00 Post: 9204
Kai

Filter by User
 Oil Filter

When I first looked at the web site I felt that the standard Fram filter was a inferior product, but then later on reflecting on the subject I considered that although the Fram is not a high tech filter it has been a quality product for a number of years. I'm speaking only of the standard Fram since I do not believe in adding Teflon or any other miracle to oil. I agree with your last comment. I've always believed that clean oil and clean air will lead to long engine life.

10-28-1999, 00:00 Post: 9213
MichaelSnyder

TP Contributor

Filter by User
 Oil Filter

One man's junk is another man's treasure. As with most things, its all relative to your perspective. Some people feel a great joy inside to have saved a buck today, only to waste twice that tomorrow. Or can't see spending the extra money for a quality product, but can somehow justify spending more, buying junk three times as often??? The bottom line...your life as well as your engine's life is dependent upon what you put in it, or how you maintain it. Will a junk filter work ok, sure...will it last AS LONG as one using a quality product...I doubt it. Common sense applies heavily in this case. I guess most people are crisis driven, they change "after" being faced with a crisis.Without thought of prevention. Hey...It's your money..Do as you wishSmile

10-28-1999, 00:00 Post: 9216
DennisCTB

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Oil Filter

Amen to that MLS.My Father in Law prides himself on re-soling old inexpensive shoes over and over again for 5 to 10 years. He has a friend who does it "cheap" for him so it really thrills him.Yet his feet always hurt him? I wonder why?We all get our pleasure in different ways!I guess if we are going to talk about this topic we would have to frame it in a context like:Best Filter Product based on Quality of Product
  • Best Filter Value
  • Most economical Filter
  • etc.....I think then we might get different answers to the question.I only mentioned the quality issue so that readers would not be confused by this post that OEM and other more expensive filters were identical to cross ref cheap filters, I think that is an important distinction. Each of us has to decide what pleases us the most. Only a little while ago I thought that these cheap filters were just loss leaders of high quality items at the big discounters, I now think that these are "formerly high quality" items now sold at low prices to match a now more "medicore" quality standard. Once again taking advantage of the consumers long standing "brand" recognition.No big deal for me as I always buy new equipment anyway.

• Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

10-28-1999, 00:00 Post: 9219
    FRED G.

Oil Filter

I TOOK YOUR ADVICE AND CHECKED OUT THE WEB SITE TECH2TECH.THE WRITER HAD VALADATED HIS STUDY IN ONE SENTENCE." I ADMIT THIS COMPARISON DID NOT ATTEMPT TO ACTUALLY MEASURE THE FILTERING ABILITY OF EACH FILTER."NOW I'M CONFUSED AS TO WHAT THIS SITE IS TRYING TO DEMONSTRATE. WHO HAS THE BEST FILTER BASED ON A VISUAL STUDY? I WOULD RATHER MAKE MY DECISION BASED ON THE ACTUAL FILTERING ABILITY OF THE FILTER. BE IT A $2.50 FILTER OR A $10.00 FILTER.WOULD YOU PICK YOUR WIFE THAT YOU INTEND TO SPEND THE REST OF YOUR LIFE WITH AND RAISE YOUR CHILDREN FROM A LINE-UP OF 10 FEMALES AND DECIDE ON LOOKS ALONE? LIKE mls SAID. IT'S YOUR MONEY.FRED G.

10-28-1999, 00:00 Post: 9220
    bo

Filter by User
     Oil Filter

All of this discussion of oil filters and there assumed quality without any hard evidence of that quality reminds of my father in law who used to put high test gas in his car {which specified regular} in order to give it a "treat" and my Uncle who insisted that his car wouldn't run well unless he used Shell gas in it or my Aunt who insisted that her headache wouldn't get better unless she had Beyer aspirin. I readilly admit that the filters may have cheapened but no one on this board ever specifically tied engine problems to the oil filter and I doubt that you could. The one myth sold to the American consumer is that Price= Quality . This ain't necessarily so folks. Sure it is your money and you have a lot of it invested in a tractor and you should use high quality products in its maintenance, but the markups that the colors get on their component parts are obsene and you still have no assurances as to the quality of the product. If anyone can specifically tie filters to problems, and I asked before, then I would like to hear them. I too am interested in learning something that may prevent future difficulties and as I do not wish to be the one that "pay me now or pay me later" saying fits. Come on gentlemen don't tell me "I had problems with my filter" What problems and how did you correlate the two? I have been running engines of all types for over 40 years and can honestly say that I have never lost a motor to a filter. One of my cars is a 83 with well over 100000 on it , I have a I/O boat that is a 81 , my cubcadet is 78 and may other assorted chainsaw, trimming mowers and such and never, ever a oil related problem. Oh yes , a 1975 and 78 outboard motor. The absolutely most important key to longitivity is frequent oil and filter changes. I fully expect to pass on my 870 JD to my kids with at least as many hours on it as my cubcadet [1800] and still beautifully operational.. So--just what problems can be specifically tied to filters and what scientific studies show one is better then the other other then just saying that it is common sense that Price= Quality?

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | 4 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Diesel Fuel Lubrication Engine Additives Forum

Thread 9169 Filter by Poster:
    Bill 1 | bo 12 | bo pikas 2 | David 1 | DennisCTB 5 | Ed West 1 | FRED G. 1 | Kai 3 | kim hartshorn 1 | Larry 1 | MichaelSnyder 8 | Randy 1 | Tim 1 |

Most Viewed

+ What Oil To Use With Kubota
    + OFF ROAD DIESEL FUEL?
    + diesel engine not starting properly 1466 IH
    + propane conversion for compact/small tractor
    + blue or yellow diesel fuel cans?
    + Kubota Hydraulic Fluid
    + Synthetic Oil (Shell Rotella)
    + Diesel additive -not enough or too much?
    + ETHER---YES --OR--NO?
    + Stihl 2 Stroke Oil Fuel Mix

Most Discussion

+ Synthetic-Oil-vs-Petroleum-and
    + Synthetic Hydraulic Fluid
    + Synthetic Oil (Shell Rotella)
    + blue or yellow diesel fuel can
    + Water Wetter by Redline oil -H
    + Off road vs. Taxed Pump diesel
    + Stihl 2 Stroke Oil Fuel Mix
    + Diesel? Gas? Something else?
    + Fuel Additive????