Diesel Filling/Supply: Diesel Fuel Lubrication Engine Additives  -- Tractor Maintenance Discussion Forum and Review Diesel Filling/Supply: Diesel Fuel Lubrication Engine Additives -- Tractor Maintenance Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Diesel Fuel Lubrication Engine Additives Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 04-18-2004, 21:31 Post: 83560
HuckMeat

TP Contributor

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster
 Diesel Filling/Supply

How do most of you fill your tractors? Right now I'm building my house and only have a small shed, so I bring up a 5 gallon diesel can as I run errands. It works ok for filling my kubota, but there must be better/easier ways. What options do you guys recommend for stationary tanks, and what drawbacks/advantages are there?

Also, I suppose the diesel I use in my tractor could be tax exempt if I was using it in the tractor for agricultural work on my 50 acres. Is that the case? How different is this diesel from the diesel that comes out of the filling stations? Do I have a farm/fuel delivery stop by and top off my storage tank, and buy it without the excise taxes? Would that diesel work in pickup trucks/etc (farm related of course Smile

m

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Technorati | Furl | Stumble This

04-19-2004, 04:09 Post: 83581
hardwood

TP Contributor

Diesel Filling/Supply

HuckMeat; yes I can understand your problem. In a year of use you probably would'nt consume a hundred gallon of fuel, so it hardly seems worth the effort to put up a permanent storage tank, but yet packing it in in 5 gal cans is a pain and messy too. Long term fuel storage can give you problems with water condensing on the inside of the tank and there is a mold of somekind that can live on fuel, I don't know much about it tho. I don't know about other states but in Iowa farm fuel is road tax exempt off the delivery truck and is dyed red. Once in a while the State DOT will set up a sting and wait along the road near salebarns, impliment stores and other places the farmers with diesel pickups frequent. Soon as the farmer pulls out onto the public road the DOT will pull them over and dip the fuel tank. If they find red fuel there is an awsome fine something like ten grand. Far as I know farm delivered fuel and truck stop fuel are the same stuff only during cold weather you can get winter blend probably easier at the truckstop rathere than the small amount you'd need for winter from the fuel truck. Hope this helps, Frank.

04-19-2004, 09:18 Post: 83603
Murf

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Diesel Filling/Supply

A common fuel filling trick around here is to use an old transport truck fuel tank with a few small modifications.

Basically the tank is built into a steel frame equipped with a a lifting ring, fuel hose and nozzle.

In use, the tank is put into a pickup for getting fuel, and taken back out, using a peice of chain off the FEL. To fill the tractor the tank is lifted just higher than the hood of the machine, gravity takes care of the rest. No muss, no fuss, no power source required.

Best of luck.

04-19-2004, 09:55 Post: 83610
Chief

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Diesel Filling/Supply

Take a look at my picture #3. It is a TSC 55 gallon tank with a GPI hand pump, filter, hose and nozzle. Works great and hold enough to last a good while. Also is a large enough quantity to justify signing up the paperwork for the off road farm diesel. Off road diesel can save you about 40 - 50 cents a gallon. The cost of the rig will take MANY years to pay for itself but for ease and no spills it is great. The 5 gallon cans are the cheapest way to go. I got my tank and pump used for $275, the filter was about $27, the wagon was $65, that ammo can was well, lets say a left over from my military days, and the rachet straps were about $5. You can purchase all of this at TSC.

04-19-2004, 10:01 Post: 83612
Chief

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Diesel Filling/Supply

I meant to mention that you can use a 30 or 55 gallon oil drum. They are not too difficult to move with a hand truck and strap. The 30 gallon drum is much easier to move. The drums are much cheaper than a tank. You can buy much cheaper pumps from Harbor Freight but they are kinda leaky. Just be sure to treat the diesel fuel with an anti-microbiocidal and good additive with a stabilizer to prevent biological contamination from setting or stale fuel.

04-19-2004, 11:42 Post: 83620
kubotaguy

Diesel Filling/Supply

I just use the old 5 gallon cans since I can't justify doing bulk. I use about 10 gallon or so a month but the cost of a nice setup and additives would probably negate the savings on off road diesel. I just suck it up and lift the can up and fill'er up.

04-19-2004, 12:58 Post: 83628
SmokinJo

Diesel Filling/Supply

I use a 55 gallon oil drum that I picked up free from my local quick lube joint. They normally give them away since they have no deposit on them. Then I picked up a pump from http://www.northerntool.com It works great!

04-23-2004, 18:50 Post: 84087
trbomax

Diesel Filling/Supply

I have a 40 gal.aluminum tank mounted on the headrack of my trailer.A 12v pump on that to dispense.

09-09-2004, 12:18 Post: 96040
lbrown59

TP Contributor

Location: First Organized Permanent Settlement In The Northwest Territory.

Filter by User
 Diesel Filling/Supply

1*I just use the old 5 gallon cans since I can't justify doing bulk.
2* the cost of a nice setup and additives would probably negate the savings on off road diesel.
3* I just suck it up and lift the can up and fill'er up.
kubotaguy
===============
1*Someone on here was saying you can save your receipts and send them in with a form and the state will refund you the tax you paid on the fuel. Have heard that's about 40 to 50 cents on the Gal.
2*It seams the consensus here is you need to use the additives be it on road off road or AG fuel.
3* I bought 2 five gal cans but I plan on putting only 2 gal in each one rather filling them up.
Much lighter and easier to handle that way.
When I get down to a quarter of a tank I can dump the treated fuel in to the tractor.
4 gal. will just about fill er up at the quarter mark.
While I'm running on the refill it gives me time to get to the station and reload the 2 cans with 2 gal. each & treat the fuel so it's ready by the time the tractor gets down to the refill point.
This winter I may go with 3 or 4 gallons per can or one could use a few additional 2 gal. cans in case you were to get snow bound or something and couldn't get out to get more fuel.

09-09-2004, 13:12 Post: 96045
AV8R

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
 Diesel Filling/Supply

lbrown59: you may find that your need for fuel is alot less than you think. I have gone 15+ hours on a single tank (5 gal) of fuel. These BX's are really fuel efficient!

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Diesel Fuel Lubrication Engine Additives Forum

Thread 83560 Filter by Poster:
auerbach 1 | AV8R 1 | Chief 2 | Eight-N 1 | hardwood 1 | HuckMeat 1 | kubotaguy 1 | lbrown59 5 | Murf 2 | ScooterMagee 1 | SmokinJo 1 | trbomax 1 |

Most Viewed

+ What Oil To Use With Kubota
+ OFF ROAD DIESEL FUEL?
+ diesel engine not starting properly 1466 IH
+ propane conversion for compact/small tractor
+ blue or yellow diesel fuel cans?
+ Kubota Hydraulic Fluid
+ Synthetic Oil (Shell Rotella)
+ Diesel additive -not enough or too much?
+ ETHER---YES --OR--NO?
+ Stihl 2 Stroke Oil Fuel Mix

Most Discussion

+ Synthetic-Oil-vs-Petroleum-and
+ Synthetic Hydraulic Fluid
+ Synthetic Oil (Shell Rotella)
+ blue or yellow diesel fuel can
+ Water Wetter by Redline oil -H
+ Off road vs. Taxed Pump diesel
+ Stihl 2 Stroke Oil Fuel Mix
+ Diesel? Gas? Something else?
+ Fuel Additive????