Transferring Diesel Fuel 
: Diesel Fuel Lubrication Engine Additives  -- Tractor Maintenance Discussion Forum and Review Transferring Diesel Fuel : Diesel Fuel Lubrication Engine Additives -- Tractor Maintenance Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Diesel Fuel Lubrication Engine Additives Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 05-19-1999, 00:00 Post: 4040
DK

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster
 Transferring Diesel Fuel

I am new to the tractor world and was curious as to how others handle fueling their tractors. Mine has a tank capacity of 9.2 gallons and so far I have been using 5 gallons plastic tanks and pouring it into the tractors tank (which is pretty high) but this has been a real pain. What do some of you do to make this an easier chore?

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Technorati | Furl | Stumble This

05-19-1999, 00:00 Post: 4063
Paul

Filter by User
 Transferring Diesel Fuel

This job can be make real easy if you have teenage boys. Let them do it! But if that aint happening your local fuel dealer may rent you a 100 gal. barrel on a stand. These are the methods that I have used. The 100 gal. tanksure does make refueling alot quiter.

05-19-1999, 00:00 Post: 4064
Paul

Filter by User
 Transferring Diesel Fuel

This job can be make real easy if you have teenage boys. Let them do it! But if that aint happening your local fuel dealer may rent you a 100 gal. barrel on a stand. These are the methods that I have used. The 100 gal. tanksure does make refueling alot quiter.

05-19-1999, 00:00 Post: 4073
Casey

Transferring Diesel Fuel

There are a number of hand or powered pumps available.Northern Tools (formerly Northern Hydraulics)http://www.northern-online.comlists several in their catalogue but I would assumethat any local farm supply store would have them.Several of the pumps listed in Northern's catalogueare electric that are listed for use with diesel butnot for gasoline.If you have a local distributor that will deliver thediesel fuel, you might want to either rent one as suggested in a previous post or purchase one - whetheror not you choose to elevate it or use a pump. If not,I suppose that you could do like we used to do on the farmwhen I was a kid and just leave the drum permanently in the back of your pickup and fill it up in town - although that does have a few disadvantages...

05-19-1999, 00:00 Post: 4074
Steve Hansen

Transferring Diesel Fuel

DK,Start back from how much fuel you use a month. 100 plus gallons? Then a gravity feed tank with filter is the way to go. Your bulk fuel dealer will deliver tax free off-road red whenever you need it. Anything less and you are going to be hauling it yourself from the co-op. To do this you will need a truck mounted tank and pump. Tractor Supply Company (TSC) and similiar suppliers can fix you up. See [www.tractorsupplyco.com/catalog/truckacc/p223.htm] for starters (also p224 & p225). You can get hand pumps and 12 volt electric pumps. You can use these pumps in truck mounted tanks and barrels. Two key considerations - keep no more than a month's fuel on hand and filter at every transfer.

05-20-1999, 00:00 Post: 4083
Roger L.

Transferring Diesel Fuel

I do it the same way that you do, and try to enjoy every minute of it! At leastI know that the fuel is fresh and I get to try different brands. Notice how differently they all smell and run? A good hint is to tie a nylon stocking overthe end of the pour spout so that it strains the fuel. Roger L

05-20-1999, 00:00 Post: 4088
Stanley

Transferring Diesel Fuel

Since I don't use a tremendous amount of diesel fuel I use both a 5 gallon containerand a 1 1/2 gallon container. To make it easier for me when the 5 gallon can isfull I usually fill the little can and dump that into the tractor. Then I goback and refill the smaller can repeating the procedure until the 5 gallon canis light enough to fill the tractor. I also use a large funnel. I know it takesa few steps but it works pretty good for me.

05-20-1999, 00:00 Post: 4092
Keith Boyd

Transferring Diesel Fuel (Somebody try this!)

One way I was thinking of trying is: get one of those little drill powered pumps (I think Northern carries them) and use it with my cordless DeWalt drill. I think that those pumps in/out ports are sized to use most any 1/2" garden hose. All you have to do is get two short pieces of hose, hook one each to inlet/outlet of the pump, secure the pump driveshaft into the drill chuck, and start pumping. I bet that would work pretty good, but won't know for sure till I try it!

05-20-1999, 00:00 Post: 4108
Norm

Transferring Diesel Fuel (Somebody try this!)

Sounds feasible, just don't use garden hose with diesel since, I suspect, it will decompose. Use clear vinyl for diesel, which has the added benefit of seeing if any junk has made its way into the hose before it ends up in your engine's filter.

05-20-1999, 00:00 Post: 4123
dick

Transferring Diesel Fuel

I too have gone through the 5 gallon lift and pour routine for a number of years.I finally got a 55 gal drum and manual pump arrangement. However my summer monthlyfuel use runs less than 30 gallons and winter use is under 10 gallons. So the bigdrum idea won't work well in the winter cause the fuel will stay in too long andit's always best in cold weather to keep the drum full to stop condensation.I saw a $1.98 plastic siphon arrangement with a amall hand bulb pump to primeNow all I do is get the can on the fender, stick this siphon in tank and can prime the the siphon and it nearly empties the fuel can in under a couple of minutes.No spill when starting the transfer and when I've transferred enough there'sa small screw plug that I unscrew to stop the siphon.You still have to hump the can up on the tractor with this solution but much less mess.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Diesel Fuel Lubrication Engine Additives Forum

Thread 4040 Filter by Poster:
A.J. Wodack 1 | Casey 1 | Dave 1 | David 1 | dick 1 | DK 1 | Keith Boyd 1 | Mike Ducello 1 | Norm 1 | Paul 2 | Roger L. 1 | Stanley 1 | Steve Hansen 1 |

Most Viewed

+ What Oil To Use With Kubota
+ OFF ROAD DIESEL FUEL?
+ diesel engine not starting properly 1466 IH
+ propane conversion for compact/small tractor
+ blue or yellow diesel fuel cans?
+ Kubota Hydraulic Fluid
+ Synthetic Oil (Shell Rotella)
+ Diesel additive -not enough or too much?
+ ETHER---YES --OR--NO?
+ Stihl 2 Stroke Oil Fuel Mix

Most Discussion

+ Synthetic-Oil-vs-Petroleum-and
+ Synthetic Hydraulic Fluid
+ Synthetic Oil (Shell Rotella)
+ blue or yellow diesel fuel can
+ Water Wetter by Redline oil -H
+ Off road vs. Taxed Pump diesel
+ Stihl 2 Stroke Oil Fuel Mix
+ Diesel? Gas? Something else?
+ Fuel Additive????