Go Bottom Go Bottom

blue or yellow diesel fuel cans

View my Photos
treeman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-01-08          34354

What is the correct color for a fuel jug? I thought diesel cans were blue but I see yellow for diesel now. Blue is for kerosine......right? But doesn't the winter mix diesel contain kerosine?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
snowy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-01-08          34355

Yep you right. I use yellow cans myself. A guess the color is just a formality and so you don't mix up putting in the wrong fluid in the wrong machine.

snowy ....

View my Photos
TomG

2002-01-08          34357

I'm not sure what is added to #2-diesel to make winter blends--could be #1-diesel, kerosene, or less likely an anti-gel additive. However, terms like these refer to consumer products and may not be what refiners call them. For example, #1-diesel, kerosene and stove oil are almost identical in terms of weight. The different products are likely given slightly different processing to the distillate coming from a particular tap on a fractionating column. Kerosene is just a more highly processed version of #1 fuel oil, which includes both diesel and stove oils. Alternatively, consumer fuels may all be blends of various distillates themselves, and the distillates may have entirely different names.

How ever it's done by refiners, people can make their own winter blends by adding kerosene or #1 to their #2-diesel. Using #1 rather than kerosene may be better, because the more refined (and expensive) kerosene doesn't lubricate injector pumps as well. Of course, #2 purchased during the winter may already be cut. However, it doesn't have to be a very cold region before an appropriate winter blend would be straight #1, which has a cloud point around -25F.

I don’t know if the greater processing given kerosene gives it a lower cloud point than #1 or not. If so, it may be better to cut with kerosene and use an additive for pump lubrication for some people. Using #1-diesel produces less power from an engine, so the less #2 is cut, the more power there is. I don’t have a power problem during the winter, so I run straight #1. However, I still use an additive, because it gets colder than –25F here.

View my Photos
Gary in Indiana

2002-01-09          34382

For what it's worth, I just was at my local Tractor Supply store yesterday and asked for a five gallon diesel fuel container. They pointed me to a yellow one that even had 'Diesel' imprinted on it. Blue ones next to it had 'Kerosene' on them. I hope this helps ....

View my Photos
joenaz

2002-02-10          35448

with a yellow jug in the sunlight, you can see the debris in the diesel. now i strain my fuel. ....

View my Photos
theglovers

2003-06-16          57774

Okay, now I am confused. Growing up, GREEN was diesel, RED was gasoline, and BLUE was WATER. I guess it has been awhile since I have bought cans. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-06-16          57784

Blue still is water, But blue is also kerosine. They are just stamped different. I wound up useing Kerosine cans for fuel because I couldnt find any yellow ones last year. ....

View my Photos
osheen

2003-11-26          69652

Yeah, wouldn't it make more sense to have green cans for diesel? It is always the green nozzle at the station. The guy who decided yellow is probably the same guy who came up with a 1 7/8" trailer ball......... ....

View my Photos
drcjv.

2003-11-26          69664

Last year I was told by the owner of a local farm type store that you can be fined if caught dispesing fuel or gas into the wrong color can. Red for gas,yellow for diesel and blue for kerosene. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2003-11-26          69672

I suspect the fine for the wrong colour fuel can is a mistake.

If you go to any fuel distributor you will see assorted types of fuel in drums of every colour imagineable, what is in them can only be determined by the paper label or painted stencilling. There is usually a sticker or sign at the gas stations listing what is acceptable as a "portable container" and I have NEVER seen any reference to colour.

The only definite no-no for diesel fuel is a galvanized metal container. NEVER put diesel in a galv. container even for a very brief time, it will kill your injectors FAST. This happened to one of my customers, luckily the injectors were salvageable but it still cost him some bucks and he lost the tractor for a week while repairs were being done.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-11-26          69683

Yellow is diesel, blue is kerosene and sometimes water, red is gasoline. Sometimes kerosene containers are translucent white. Water is also carried in tan containers as well. Best practice especially if you are like me and suffer from SEVERE CRS is to put the correct fuel in the correct can; properly labeled. That way there are no awe sh!t's from mixing up fuels or water. Diesel fuels are treated for seasonal use for specific areas. In extreme cold areas #1 diesel is sold along with #2. For the most part with details #1 diesel is akin to kerosene/#2 diesel mix. Bear in mind that #1 diesel and kerosene significantly lower BTU values and kerosene is not treated with fuel additives designed to aid combustion and use in diesels as well as aid lubrication. In most cases you can use #2 diesel with a good anti-gel fuel additive but may run into problems in extremely cold climate use. As a good maintenance practice, it is wise to use a good quality fuel additive year round. Howes, Stanadyne, John Deere, Power Service all seem to work well. There are others out there that don't come to mind that I am sure work well too.

Murf is ABSOLUTELY right about galvanized fuel cans. NEVER use them for diesel fuel. The resulting flaking of zinc will reak havok with the fuel system. ....

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-11-26          69688

The only limitation for fuel containers that I have ever seen is with respect to glass containers. That may be illegal for the obvious safety issues.

I used to regularly get diesel in a red plastic can that I ONLY used for Diesel. It has a special label and I was the only one using it. Later I got a regular Yellow can and converted the red can to gasoline service. To keep things separate, I only put premix for 2 strokes in the plastic cans and I carry gasoline in 35 gallon drums and metal military gas cans. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2003-11-26          69689

Rather than buying a bunch of different (new) containers we hit on an idea that our fuel distributor has been successfully using for years.

We bought a pakage of cheap shower curtain holders, the aluminum spring hooks, sort of light bulb shaped at Wally World. Then we took cut 2" circles out of white plasitc jugs and labelled them gas or diesel. This way you just put a tag on the handle of each can when it's filled up.

This way if you need several cans of something at once you won't run out of containers, flexibilty and convenience seem to be the key to a good idea, cheap helps a bunch too.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-11-26          69690

Murf...........I am sure you have heard of Murphy's Law. I had to deal and plan around it for over 20 years and still lost the battle. Maybe civilians don't have as much of a problem. Just my luck someone would look at the color and not the label on the can. I guess there is only so much you can do to Murphy proof. ;-) ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2003-11-26          69691

I have plastic gas cans that I have been using for more than 20 years. I would hate to think that I did not realize that they should have been replaced after 10 years because the plastic could crack and leak in my garage and start the house on fire!

Does anyone know if plastic cans for gas, diesel have a "life expectancy"?

View my Photos
Chief

2003-11-26          69692

Dennis, aside from Murphy's Law; I would think alot depends on whether the cans are stored outside where sun can deteriorate them or inside. The plastic breaks down MUCH faster if exposed to sunlight. When they start to change color and fade is probably a good indication to start looking for some replacement cans. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2003-11-27          69756

I think almost all plastics get more brittle with age but this sounds like a place for Peter's wisdom. Some of our fire crew jugs have been in service for quite awhile. I haven't heard of them replaced due to age or a problem with them breaking. They usually go because the cap threads wear out. We use markers similar of Murf's suggestion to indicate that it's mixed and the ratio used by the pumps.

I'll throw in a sideline thing here. I was talking to my oil dealer a couple of weeks ago. I forget how the subject came up but he said that chemical suppression (meaning anti-gel additives) won't keep summer blend #2 from gelling when it's really cold--he was talking Alberta. He said it helps a bit but wax still can form and clogs fuel filters. Apparently the only sure guarantee against gelling is using a blend that's right for the area. Guess I'm lucky I've always started mixing #1 with any left over summer #2 starting in early November. ....

View my Photos
bnrhuffman

2003-12-06          70399

Ive got no color preference but I will say that I bought a Yellow can that said "diesel" and from the first time Ive used it, its pissed me off. It is supposedly for diesel yet the filler hole is too small for a diesel nozzle to fit in so youve got to stand there and hold the nozzle a 1/2 inch or so from the hole or it will get all over the can. It still splashes and spurts all over it anyway. How stupid do you have to be to make a "diesel" can that wont except a diesel nozzle, not as stupid as you have to be to buy it I guess.

View my Photos
harvey

2003-12-06          70405

Some stuff just amazes me and that would be one of them. Maybe they are only for the city folks that go to the city diesel pumps where trucks aren't allowed and they put on their little plastic gloves and pump their fuel in with their little city only nozzeles. Its the same with diesel pickups. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2003-12-06          70407

That is strange when you consider the incredible gas pump nozzles used in California to keep people from drizzling any gas on the ground. Maybe the diesel jug was for that unleaded diesel, or maybe it's only for California super-low sulfur diesel, or maybe it's only for road diesel. The possibilities are endless, but it's probably just the usual corporate dumbing down in modern times. ....

View my Photos
treeman

2003-12-06          70413

Here is a good site to buy fuel jugs. They are heavy duty with very large openings. ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
bnrhuffman

2003-12-06          70429

Is there a difference between the "off hihgway use" and regular diesel nozzles? The off highway use diesel nozzle will not fit in my can. ....

View my Photos
harvey

2003-12-06          70432

Generally U can not buy Dyed off road fuel at a pump U drive up to. And if you can usually U have to sign a statement for off road use only.

The "city" fuel pumps have a smaller nozzle for car and pick up tanks because of the small quanity of fuel they pump. And to support the smaller filler necks.

Truck stops usually have one small nozzle pump but the majority are big nozzles to pump a 100+ gallons on 2 sides of a truck quickly.

It was a real test a few years ago for a diesel owner because of the low lead necks and converted cars and pickups to diesel with low lead tanks and big nozzles even the old style regular gas nozzles would not fit. There are many vehicles out there yet with little filler holes but the smaller nozzles are more preleavant now. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2003-12-06          70434

I have gotten off-road diesel from all three sized, leaded, regular and large truck size. Often off road is construction equipment and diesel is carried in large tanks to the larger nozzles are used.
Even if they can be inserted you need to take care when filling only a 6 gallon can. The higher rate of fill can catch you unawares.
I filled a few Jerry cans for racing with 100 and 120 av gas at the float plane base. I almost showered in it the first time as the 6 gallon (5 IMP) tank literally popped full.

View my Photos
bnrhuffman

2003-12-07          70455

Ditto. The first time I filled my F350 Powerstroke dumptruck (read, very shallow filler tubes), I bathed in it. No washing that out. The clothes and shoes went to the trash. Now I take my time and listen real close (but not too close) for the gurgling that says its full. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2003-12-07          70458

Around here everything except pumps for transports at large truck stops use the small nozzles for both on and off road diesel. For the cans of off-road fuel I buy I haven't had to sign anything but I have been asked what for. I imagine a dealer would have a problem if I tried to fill up a truck for an off-road pump. Maybe the regs are different here.

It still seems odd that an ordinary consumer fuel jug wouldn't accommodate old size nozzles since they are around and there are legitimate uses for jugs of off-road fuel--compact tractors for example. Who knows it might have been the brainstorm of some DOT climber in combination with eager to please manufacturers but it just seems dumb. ....

View my Photos
bnrhuffman

2003-12-07          70459

Where I buy my off road diesel, they couldnt seem to care less what I do with it. I dont have to sign anything and I can pull right up to the pump.
BTW, the yellow "diesel" can I bought was from Tractor Supply and its identical to the gas cans they sell, except for the "diesel" and color. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2003-12-07          70460

Tom;
The large nozzles we are talking about are more than 1 inch in diameter. Maybe 1.5 inch. They barely fit in the reciever on my truck. I can see some cans having a hole that is slightly smaller than the diameter of these nozzles.
We also don't need to sign anything to get off-road diesel. I am sure they would squawk if I filled up the truck though. ....

View my Photos
harvey

2003-12-07          70467

Ya-all that can pull up and fill up with off road non-road taxed diesel are, me thinks, the few. The dealers here have been burned by customers that have done it and been caught they do not risk the wrath of the IRS folks.

The IRS is real pissy about it here in Central NY they have agents at DOT check points when their hearts so desire and they vampire fuel tanks for dyed fuel. First offense here is $2500.

The EPA folks are so snotty about it that they come into our quarries and check the trucks we use. It does not matter if truck is used off road or not if it was designed for on road use no matter how many years ago it better have only low sulfur in it. ....

View my Photos
Gary in Indiana

2003-12-07          70469

Around here there are three different diesel sources and pricing. The most expensive is consumer automotive. Cheaper than that is for semi tractors. The cheapest is the off road diesel for farm use, etc. I've been criticized for filling my yellow diesel container at the semi tractor pump when the off road station is closed. I figure I'm still paying more than I should but not as much as I could. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2003-12-07          70476

Harvey;
I would not risk it as it I am sure the fine would also be heavy although I have not heard of them checking in a long while. I needed the farm number in KY, but have not been asked here in AL or MS.

View my Photos
JAZAK5

2003-12-07          70501

Hey ,we even have fuel can POLICE in NY /law having the establishment inspect the container prior to filling,never seen it done ,however I doubt that a min wage kid is going to care. Law was most likly passed to give some patronage job to someone, COMMISSIONER of "RUBBERMAID" Its amazing to have a politian that is FULL of GAS inspecting GAS CANS !!!!!!!! ....

View my Photos
hutch987

2003-12-20          71805

Pardon my rookie question, but what does galvanized metal do to the diesel that ruins the injectors? I have been looking for two metal fuel tanks on stands, (250-500 gallon range), one for gas, one for diesel for my ranch. I had assumed the silver metal tanks I have been seeing were galvanized, but maybe not? ....

View my Photos
harvey

2003-12-21          71830

You'll have to get someone smart for the chemical process.

But most of the large fuel storage tanks are, plain steel, painted with an aluminum colored or white paint to reflect heat from sun.

Generally they come from factory with a primer only. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-12-21          71858

The zinc and diesel will eventually react and cause flaking of the zinc galvanized coating which in turn will contaminate your fuel system. As long as you keep the fuel fiters serviced, they should catch the zinc particles but this still does not prevent the mess you must clean out of your fuel tank, lines and filters. Be sure that whatever type of fuel storage tank you use that you install a good quality fuel filter. Typically most diesel fuel tank filters are 10 - 15 micron and catch most but NOT all contaminants. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2003-12-22          71921

Chief, I wouldn't want to bet my engine on your 'flake' idea.

Diesel is a precipitant of zinc, in other words if you expose zinc to diesel it will actually melt into the diesel. It is used during the zinc mining process to capture the extremely fine particules in the ore being mined.

The real problem is that the zinc will deposit itself on the very fine nozzle it the tip of the injector, eventually destroying the tip.

A lesser but potentially dangerous situation is that in an extreme situation it will strip all the galvanizing off the inside of the tank which could allow any moisture and algea at the bottom of the tank to corrode the bottom out of the tank causing a fuel spill.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2003-12-22          71923

Guys, thanks for the tip on diesel in galvanized cans. I've been using one to transport fuel in and now have an incentive to buy an new plastic one. I don't suppose it was ever in the can long enough to absorb much zinc but why take the chance. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-12-23          72002

Timely thread!

For the last couple weeks the 4115 has been real cranky starting up in the morning. Excessive smoke, lots of noise, and taking a long time to warm up and run right.

I chalked it up to cold weather, break-in oil and new engine(38 hours) but then I read Murf's last post and had second thoughts.

I went out and pulled the fill lid off of my diesel storage tank and checked the unpainted underside. Sure enough. Galvanized.

I drained the fuel from the tractor and re-filled with fresh fuel and additives from a plastic jug. Big difference in starting! Hope I haven't done any permanent damage.

Thanks, Murf and the rest of you guys for the wake-up call. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-12-23          72013

Murf, perhaps my terminology was a bit off. Same result and reasons why. When the zinc lining of a galvanized container is breached; eventually the zinc will start to become disbonded. Along with the gum, acids, gel, and crud....flaking. It is all bad and stops up the filters and wreaks havoc if prevailent enough.

"The metals to avoid are copper and its alloys, such as monel; and zinc, usually found in galvanized coatings on steel tanks and pipes. Copper greatly speeds gum formation. Zinc, in the presence of water, can form a zinc hydroxide gel which rapidly plugs filters. Zinc can also react with
tiny amounts of weak organic acids in diesel/heating fuels to form compounds which foul injectors and burners.

The material of choice for all fuel storage and piping systems is glass-reinforced plastic. Black iron piping is the second best choice.

Existing galvanized or plain steel tanks can sometimes be successfully coated with epoxy paint, but the coating must be perfect or pinhole leaks can develop."

View my Photos
Peters

2003-12-23          72055

Hold on there Chief. Not all plastics glass reinforced plastics are suitable for diesel containers. Even HDPE (high density polyethylene) is not the best for long term storage. Gas tanks normally have chlorinated layers to reduce migration of organics through the tank.
Some plastics like PVC will rapidly deteriate in diesel.
What I think you are thinking of reinforce fiberglass need to use the correct resins or you are also headed for a melt down. The correct polyester resins are not cheap.
I don't believe there is any problem with aluminum tanks. Some brass fittings are a problem as they contain zinc but many older tractors had copper lines and fittings. ....

View my Photos
harvey

2003-12-24          72066

I just can not believe all of us dumb ole farm boys kept our equipment running all these years these years with our fuel stored in steel painted tanks or a quick trip to the field with a gal 5 gallon can or plastic jug. My goodness to follow this thread would scare the life out of a tractor to know the fuel they run on might have been stored in something less than... I'm not sure what.

Reading this I wonder how the steel fuel storage tanks at home have lasted over 30 years.

I hope my tractor never finds out how my fuel is stored at the distributor and what the truck looks like that it is hauled here.

I have never seen a 100+ gallon fuel or gas storage tank that was galvanized or glass lined. I do not even think I have ever heard of one and I thought I had been a lot of places and knew quite a bit, until this thread.

I do remember issues with non fuel rated rubber hoses...I do remember issues with gas and styrofoam cups...

I guess I need to get out more. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-12-24          72083

Harvey, now that you mention it; I think you have a point. This has been run to the point of where I think we are pole vaulting over mouse turds. ;o) ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2003-12-24          72122

If I'm not mistaken it is actually a Federal Department of Transportation law that dictates the color of the vessel used to transport the liquid--makes it easier and quicker to determine the flammability threat in case of an accident that involves fire or explosion---makes sense. And there is a fine for being caught using the wrong color vessel. ....

View my Photos
jasonsewell

2004-01-04          73066

To treeman: Makers of these cans use the two colors interchangably. I've seen blue and yellow cans that say both diesel and kerosene.
To TomG: Kerosene is the most refined (cleanest)form of these fuels. no1 and no2 are the same thing except that the no2 has a dye added to it so that trucks can be checked to make sure they are not burning no2 over the road. No2 has no federal or state DOT taxes added to the cost, that's why iot is about 50 cents cheaper per gallon. The dye in no2 is red and causes to fuel to gell at a higher temp than no1 will, so if the machinery is used and stored outdoors at low temps, no1 should be used. No1 is diesel, No2 is home heating oil. ....

View my Photos
lbrown59

2004-09-07          95794

How much fuel do you fellows keep on hand for your Sub compact and compact tractors?
What do you use to store it in?
Is their a better easier way to fuel the tractor than standing there holding the can wile you dump it into the tractor tank?

View my Photos
lbrown59

2004-09-07          95795

with a yellow jug in the sunlight, you can see the debris in the diesel. now i strain my fuel.
joenaz
============
What do you use for a strainer? ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-09-07          95796

I usually keep about a 100 gallons on hand but I buy the off road agriculture no tax diesel in 100 to 150 gallon lots. I have a 30 gallon oil barrel and a 75 gallon fuel tank and pump unit I store it in. I use about that much a year so it saves me about 40 cents a gallon buying fuel this way. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-09-07          95797

This is about the cheapest place I have seen for purchasing the filter funnels. ....

Link:   Filter Funnels

View my Photos
drcjv.

2004-09-07          95811

I keep two 55 Gal drums on hand. When my heating oil is delivered I have the guy fill the drums. I got a hand pump at tractor supply to fuel the tractor. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-09-07          95816

drcjv., heating oil will work in a diesel but just be aware that you burn it at your own risk. It does not have the same additive package that No.2 Diesel has. It does not burn the same either. I am sure Mark can comment on this. :O) Granted his heating oil had been stored in a tank for a long time but it still is not the same as good ole' #2 diesel. ....

View my Photos
drcjv.

2004-09-07          95818

Chief before I used the heating oil I called the dealer twice and ask if it was ok both times he said it was. I will inquire again.
Thanks drv. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2004-09-07          95819

Murf it's no mistake about the fine. But to be fair I have never seen or heard about anyone being cited---but there is a law. In the States we have Federal regulations (Department of Transportation a.k.a. USDOT) concerning color of fuel containers particularly small, transportable containers. According to my State Police what the Feds are concerned about is that in the event of a auto accident where a fuel container is involved (leakage/spillage) if there is a potential for fire or explosion the rescuers have to know if there is more potential for fire with gasoline (red can) versus, say, diesel in a yellow can. And it helps the fire dept. too in knowing the potential hazard in order to fight it. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-09-08          95884

That's strange.

We are Haz-Mat licensed because of the chemicals & pesticides we carry, and our regulations in Canada are just photocopies of the US reg.'s with the numbers converted to metric.

Our reg.'s contain a) an exemption for 'personal use', b) a minimum quantuity before they even kick in, and c) require only world-wide standard PLACARDS, a square standing on one point with the flamable sysmbol, a flame, and the identification number of the flamable product carried, i.e. 1202, 1203, etc., but there is NO mention of coloured containers anywhere.

I'll loook again though, it's BIG book.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
drcjv.

2004-09-08          95887

Now I am really confused I called another dealer he said I should use off-road diesel and it is not the same as heating oil. When I called all the fuel guys in the area they said off-road diesel and heating oil are the same and they deliver it to all the construction sites and it is used by everyone in their equip. What do all you guys use? ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-09-08          95891

I use #2 Off Road Ag diesel. Things may have changed but as I recall; #2 heating oil used to be colored purple to identify it. Smells just like diesel though. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-09-08          95893

Doc: I am coming to the conclusion that there are regional differences in how diesel/heating oil is produced and distributed.

In some regions you can buy Premium diesel, regular diesel, off-road/ag diesel and heater oil (plus kerosene) and they are all different formulations.

In smaller markets, like where I live, there is just diesel which doubles as heating oil, red diesel (just regular diesel with dye for off road use), and kerosene. BTW, I just called the local oil distributor and confirmed all the above information.

Murf, I think you are right about the volume issue. When I rolled up on an accident scene where there was fuel leaking from the wreck, I was required to notify the Fire department.

They, in turn, would ask me to estimate the amount of fuel that had spilled. Small amounts...+/- 5 gallons were ignored and allowed to run into the storm drains. Larger amounts 5 to 20 gallons were treated with absorbents and swept up. Really big leaks (I never worked one) had other, special protocols. No one ever asked me what sort of fuel was spilled.... it was all treated the same.

I think that the transportation and storage of small amounts of fuels are regulated in a similar way. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-09-08          95895

drcjv., I can applaud your wanting to save money on buying fuel. Just don't want to see you make a potentially expensive mistake is all.

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-09-08          95898

The station near me has a pump with #1 and #2 non taxed dyed fuel that they call "off road burner diesel." Sounds like they're the same thing in this case.
Dave ....

View my Photos
drcjv.

2004-09-08          95899

Chief I was not really trying to save money I just got tired of filling a 5 gal can.When I called the dealer he said to use off road the fuel guys say that off road is the same as heater fuel. Thus my dilemma. I just spent another hour on the phone and still did not get a clear answer. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-09-08          95901

Mark is partly right about regional differences, but it is in fact "climatic differences".

For instance, the 'regular' diesel sold in Florida all year-round would be the same as the 'regular' diesel sold in NY during the summer, but not in the winter.

Heating oil is similarly 'adjusted' depending on the climate where you are.

BTW, there is a BIG difference between 'stove oil' (sometimes called 'heater oil') and 'furnace oil' (sometimes called 'home heating oil'). There is no real difference between furnace oil and # 2 diesel except for purity and additives. There is no real difference between off-road diesel and furnace oil. In my area if you call for off-road diesel and furnace oil it comes out the same nozzle on the truck and the bill just says "# 2 fuel oil".

If you were to pass furnace oil through a good filter then add lubricants and wax dispersants you would have diesel fuel.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
drcjv.

2004-09-08          95904

Murf all the fuel guys around here are saying exactly what you are saying, home heating fuel is the same as off road diesel. but my question is still will I hurt my tractor by using off road diesel also known as home heating oil. Thanks Dr.V ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-09-08          95906

"Lubricants and wax dispersants" equals Power Service and other diesel fuel supplements.

Something you should probably use anyway. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-09-08          95908

drcjv., if you have already purchased the heating oil; you can treat it with a good all season fuel additive such as Stanadyne Performance Formula, Deere Winter Formula, Power Service in the white bottle, or Howes. Treat with a FULL dose and you should be OK. As a rule, you should not use heating oil for fuel. That can potentially come back on you if you ever have a fuel related failure under warranty. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-09-08          95909

The last two posts are very good points.

The 'old Chief's' comment about warranty issues is particularly good advice these days.

But to answer your question directly; "Home heating oil, properly treated and filtered, will not do any damage to a diesel engine.".

Many of my machines are run on # 2 fuel oil when we are doing jobs 'offshore' where diesel is too expensive because of tax issues, or just not available period, such as when the only fuel on-site is for the 'big machines'. Lots of good quality additives and it's ALMOST undistinguishable from 'regular diesel' back home.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2004-09-08          95912

Want the facts on diesel fuel and all things diesel fuel related: Here is an excellent technical review by Chevron ....

Link:   Diesel fuel technical report

View my Photos
lbrown59

2004-09-08          95915

I use #2 Off Road Ag diesel.
Chief
=================
Where do you get this stuff?
I can't find it anywhere in my area! ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-09-08          95916

Local Coop. Any distributor that sells heating oil. Look in the Yellow Pages under petroleum distrubtor or similar heading. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-09-08          95917

The other point that most people are unaware of is that it is NOT necessary to buy 'off-road' diesel in order to get diesel tax-free.

In every jurisdiction I have worked in (which is just about everywhere) all you have to do is save your receipts and submit them, along with a specific form usually, to the State Tax Dept. and they will issure a refund for all 'road taxes' on the fuel.

This makes it very handy for people who work away from their home-base, we can buy fuel anywhere and get the taxes back for what was used 'off-road'.

BTW, it does NOT have to be used for "farming" to be tax free either, just used for a "non-taxable purpose" such as constructiuon equipment for example.

Boats are NOT a "non-taxable use", all fuel used in a boat must be "tax paid" fuel.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
drcjv.

2004-09-08          95920

So if I were to go to tractor supply and get some diesel additives and put it in my home heating oil I should be ok? ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-09-08          95921

drcjv., in my opinion; the best course of action would be if you have room left in your heating oil tank, dump the oil in there and go buy some #2 Off Road or Standard use pump diesel. If not, you can treat the heating oil and it will more than likely run just fine. It is not a practice I would advise and I would not burn it in my machine or truck. OK in my mind = you can get by with it. ....

View my Photos
drcjv.

2004-09-08          95924

Chief I understand what you are saying the problem is when I call to get #2 diesel I am told it is the same as heating oil. They say they are one in the same so I am having trouble getting "off road diesel" and for that matter nobody wants to deliver just 100 gal of regular diesel.I am just not sure why I am having so much trouble with this. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-09-08          95928

I live in TN but your area may have different laws. I had to fill out paperwork at the distributor for off road diesel and then additonal paperwork for agriculture diesel. The Off Road and Ag diesel come out of the same pump. The off road is not taxed with respect to road taxes. The ag diesel is not taxed on road taxes AND state sales tax. Saves about 40 to 50 cents a gallon typically. Most places require that you order at least 250 gallons of fuel for them to deliver. Otherwise you go and pick it up at the distributor. I would suggest either a 30 gallon oil drum if you can find one or a 55 gallon oil drum to put the fuel. You can also get a pickup truck bed 115 gallon fuel transfer tank as just syphon out the fuel. I do both. Some places will give you a 250 gallon fuel tank at no charge if you buy 250 gallons of off road fuel. Only problem will be is that is a LOT of fuel for a one or two tractors to use. May not be depending upon how much you use your equipment. Make sure you use a fuel tank filter. You can buy tank hand pumps, filters, etc. at Tractor Supply Center. I use my FEL to unload the drums of fuel from my pickup and then a handtruck to manuever in place. You can also get a 75 gallon tank and strap it to a pallet or wagon for use. Hope this clears things up. ....

View my Photos
lbrown59

2004-09-08          95931

How stupid do you have to be to make a "diesel" can that wont except a diesel nozzle, not as stupid as you have to be to buy it I guess.
bnrhuffman
The size of the hole in the can and the size of the nozzle haven't been an obstacle for me yet.
The problem I'm having is where is the nozzle with the #2 Agricultural diesel?

You could have taken the can back and got your money back.

View my Photos
lbrown59

2004-09-08          95933

I didn't see any thing in my BX 23 owners manual saying I should add anything to the fuel. ....

View my Photos
lbrown59

2004-09-09          96019

To fuel this debate I have a couple of questions.
1*My BX 23 manual don't say anything about adding anything to the diesel fuel.
2*If the truckers don't need to treat the diesel fuel for their rigs why does it need treated for a tractor.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login