Go Bottom Go Bottom

Kubota Hydraulic Fluid

View my Photos
DJ
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-05-10          28017

What other fluid can I use besides Kubota Super UDT, Cost $61 for 5 gallons. Takes about 15 gallons for fluid changes. Is there a same quality alternative?Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Kubota Hydraulic Fluid

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-05-11          28043

All UDT fluid, not just Kubota's is manufactured to certain standards. If you look at the label of a container it will show the equivalent type of fluids IT can replace, John Deere, NH, etc., then by the same logic, those fluids can replace the Kubota fluid. Your dealer, and probably Kubota will try to scare you by saying that use of any other fluid voids your warranty. Rest assured, as long as you properly maintain your machine with quality parts, your warranty (and your tractor) will remain intact. Best of luck. ....

Kubota Hydraulic Fluid

View my Photos
RickB.

2001-05-15          28226

Don't bother with Super UDT unless you have a glideshift or have a hydro in a COLD climate. If you have neither, UDT is fine, for 1/2 to 2/3 the cost. There are other oils out there meeting the respective specifications of both UDT and Super UDT. Just be sure anything you use meets the spec you want. ....

Kubota Hydraulic Fluid

View my Photos
FarmerWannabe

2001-05-16          28268

I have been looking to buy a quart to top off my loader and can't seem to find less than 5 gallons! Is this a sign that I need to be considering draining and refilling the whole system? I don't have a manual, what is involved in this?
Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you. ....

Kubota Hydraulic Fluid

View my Photos
DJ

2001-05-16          28278

I have GST tranny and according to the book I change at 50hrs and again at 400hrs.Mines holds 10 gallons and you drain it in 4 places under the tractor. I just changed it at 50hrs and seems to shift better. I used regular UDT at $34/5gals. Based on what you said I take it you have never changed yours would highly recomend it. The filter was $24. Tractor cost more to operate than a boat. Hope this helps. ....

Kubota Hydraulic Fluid

View my Photos
TomG

2001-05-17          28286

Around here hydraulic oil is sold in both 5 & 2.5 gallon buckets, but 5 gallon ones are the most common by far. An owner's manual should give you the hour intervals when hydraulic oil should be changed. The intervals for different tractors vary, but 400 to 600 hour intervals are common. Failure to change oil can result in premature wear to the gear train and hydraulic system. It can also lead to hydraulic system failure if the hydraulic filter becomes clogged. To change oil, you have to know where all the drain plugs are. Some tractors have four on the TX/DIFF and three on the front axle. You need some place to drain the oil and some way to get new oil into the tractor, and you need a new filter as well. Some tractors also have screens in the TX that must be cleaned. You should know the capacity of the reservoir so you know if the drain pan will hold the entire contents. Otherwise things get messy. You also should figure out how to dispose of the used oil. My tractor doesn't have enough ground clearance to fit a 5-gallon bucket under the drains, so I use a large drain pan. I have a pump that replaces the lid on a standard 5-gallon pain. The pump is very convenient--certainly more convenient than trying to balance large buckets and trying to pour through funnels. My auto garage takes the used oil. Some tractor dealers take back used oil—some places take it only when they’ve sold the new oil, and some places only in the original containers. Some people have friends who have waste oil furnaces. Getting rid of the used oil can be a problem, but it becomes a worse problem if it’s left sitting around. We inherited over 400-gallons in furnace tanks and drums along with a property we bought. The oil proved difficult and expensive to get rid of. My insurance broker said there would be no insurance coverage due to damage resulting from stored waste oil. ....

Kubota Hydraulic Fluid

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-05-18          28332

We sure will have fun with this. Murf I went back and forth with a company once and come to find out for the way the companies sell oil no company has ever gone after a company that doesn't meet it's spec's. Many say they do but there are many differences in oil and the UDT is one of the toughest to copy. You may get by but that is all. To say how much it will hurt the unit not to have the manufacturers oil in it depends on the type of use. There are differences and for what I see some people useing I cringe. ....

Kubota Hydraulic Fluid

View my Photos
TomG

2001-05-19          28352

My impression is that petro hydraulic/transmission oil is pretty universal stuff, especially if it comes from a tractor manufacturer. I've got a gear tractor, maybe HST's are more particular. My 1710 calls for Ford/NH 134D, but my dealer recommends F200, which is a multi-season version. I don't worry much about using an AGCO multi-season petro oil. However, I'm always ready to be reeducated. ....

Kubota Hydraulic Fluid

View my Photos
Murf

2001-05-22          28446

The best answers anyone (Oil Co. & Manuf.'s Tech.'s) could give me was that the differences between the different oils is basically this; 1) the Base oil is ALMOST identical regardless of what the label says, 2) the only REAL differences (and they are HUGE) is in the type and quantity of ADDITIVES that goes into the different oils. This makes a LOT of sense. Anyone out there with a 'modern, hi tech' diesel such as the Ford Power Stroke will know that using the wrong oil is like disconnecting 2 cylinders. Likewise with tractors, certain models or features (like Kubota's GST unit) require fluid that has more than the 'standard' levels of additives to control things like foaming (in the case of the GST), or cold temp. stability. So if your unit is absolutely nothing special, no problem, if it has specialized items, give them the right stuff. HOWEVER, as Art so correctly pointed out, I have gone through this with different Manufacturers, your warranty CANNOT be voided as long as you follow the spec.'s with regards to levels of maintenace, and quality of products used. The products however DO NOT have to be a specific BRAND. In other words, Kubota cannot kill your warranty merely because you did not use Kubota fluids, as long as you changed them for something EQUAL or better. Best of luck. ....

Kubota Hydraulic Fluid

View my Photos
Greg Harrison

2001-05-24          28519

I just found that Chevron just released anew tractor fluid called Synthetic all weather HTF that lists it as replacing Super UDT. It is a stretch to call it synthetic as it uses Group lll base oils like Castrol Syntech. These base oils are better than the oils normally used but still not as good as pure synthetics. Pardon the runon but at least we have a viable choice. Havent found the price yet. The Super UDT isnt synthetic either according to the label on my 5 gallon can. Just a little info for those in need.
Greg ....

Kubota Hydraulic Fluid

View my Photos
Richard Hollabaugh

2001-08-10          30851

I just bought the Chevron "Synthetic" THF for my Kubota L4310HST. Hopefully will put it in soon as it's time to replace both filter and fluid. Price is $67/5 gallons. It seems appropriate that the oil is colored orange. ....

Link:   

Click Here

Kubota Hydraulic Fluid

View my Photos
Art White

2001-08-11          30867

Just a side bar on the Kubota oils. They are changing there blender and that is why they are short of different sizes of oil in there system and on the dealers shelves. The oil prices are still realigning from the last crunch and probably won't stablize for a while as they are talking about another cut back. What Murf says about the companies on oil warrentee is nearly true. If the failure is from oil break down than they can viod your warantee. Otherwise you are safe to use what ever you want. The difference we see here the most is in the smaller engines in the lawn mowers, they don't last the 5000 plus hours that diesels do so it is easier to moniter when they put 500 hours a year on a 2000 hour engine life. This is when some begin oil consumption prematurely to others that are both doing the same job in like conditions. ....

Kubota Hydraulic Fluid

View my Photos
Tommy Smith

2002-09-10          42255

I asked Kubota about this "voided warrenty " business and the following is cut and pasted from thier reply..
Hello Mr. Smith. Thank you for contacting Kubota. Kubota strongly
recommends the use of Kubota Super UDT in your hydraulic system along with
genuine Kubota filters. Super UDT was designed specifically for the
requirements of Kubota's GST style transmission. This blend provides
superior shifting performance when used in colder temperatures (below 40°
F). Using other filters and fluids does not automatically void your
warranty. However, if damage is caused directly from the use of these
products, Kubota will not cover the repairs under warranty. You would need
to deal directly with the supplier of the fluid or filter for their
support. Again, thanks for contacting Kubota.

Kubota Hydraulic Fluid

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-09-25          42891

I’ve taken a keener interest on this topic since I am a Kubota owner now.
The Kubota dealer 5 miles away stocks only John Deere hydraulic fluid and uses it in all the Kubota’s he sells.

The next dealer in 45 miles away and they use nothing but Case fluids in all the Kubota’s they sell and have no qualms about mixing the two types of hydraulic fluids. This dealer told me he has gotten the approval of the area rep. to use Case oils in Kubota’s under warranty and said the Case specs actually exceed Kubota’s.
The next nearest dealer is 115 miles away and in another state. They will use nothing but Kubota hydraulic oil in everything they sell.
So I guess I am going to have to figure out what I am going to do. Doesn’t make much sense to drive 230 miles roundtrip to buy tractor fluids.

Kubota Hydraulic Fluid

View my Photos
TomG

2002-09-26          42916

I appreciated the Kubota Rep's answer. Seems like anytime I've asked a question of an insurance company lately I never feel like I know what the answer was exactly. Maybe always leaving doubt in the customers’ minds is good buz since maybe it makes for more cautious customer behaviour. But it does seem like trying to solve a jigsaw puzzle without knowing if all the pieces are there.

Similar to Mark, I freely mix multi-season hydraulic oils from NH and AGCO, and for the same reason. Round trip to my NH dealer is well over 200 miles, and oils can't be shipped by ordinary carriers here. But also like the warranty and insurance folks, I can't recommend anybody else do what I do. What a world!

Kubota Hydraulic Fluid

View my Photos
Chief

2002-10-19          44001

Buy a 55 gallon drum of John Deere Hy-Gard. Cost $269 a barrel, that comes to about $1.23 per quart. ....

Kubota Hydraulic Fluid

View my Photos
Chief

2002-10-19          44002

Buy a 55 gallon drum of John Deere Hy-Gard. Cost $269 a barrel, that comes to about $1.23 per quart. ....

Kubota Hydraulic Fluid

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-10-19          44004

I am going with the Chevron full synthetic in the new BX22. There is a chevron commercial dealer only 2 miles away and they quoted me about $56.00 for five gallons. Takes a week to get it and it is spec'ed to meet or exceed Super UDT. ....

Kubota Hydraulic Fluid

View my Photos
cutter

2002-11-27          45467

Did you ever put the Chevron in the Kubota Mark? I just serviced mine and went the long buck for Super UDT, even though I did not need it. There is not a dealer nearby that stocks the synthetic and I had the machine all drained in a heated garage, so it was off to my dealer and spend around $70 for Kubota's fluid. I had been kicking the idea of synthetic around and was not planning on doing this job right away but time permitted it yesterday, giving me few options as to fluid types...ie: cheap substitute, name brand or Super UDT. Let me know how it works out, 300 hours from now I will switch if all reports from the board are positive. Thanks. ....

Kubota Hydraulic Fluid

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-11-27          45469

I've got all the stuff in the garage, just waiting for the meter to run up 50 hours. 35 and counting as of today. I'll keep you posted. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login