Kubota Hydraulic Fluid: Diesel Fuel Lubrication Engine Additives  -- Tractor Maintenance Discussion Forum and Review Kubota Hydraulic Fluid: Diesel Fuel Lubrication Engine Additives -- Tractor Maintenance Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Diesel Fuel Lubrication Engine Additives Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 05-10-2001, 19:33 Post: 28017
DJ

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Kubota Hydraulic Fluid

What other fluid can I use besides Kubota Super UDT, Cost $61 for 5 gallons. Takes about 15 gallons for fluid changes. Is there a same quality alternative?Thanks

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Stumble This

05-11-2001, 11:24 Post: 28043
Murf

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Kubota Hydraulic Fluid

All UDT fluid, not just Kubota's is manufactured to certain standards. If you look at the label of a container it will show the equivalent type of fluids IT can replace, John Deere, NH, etc., then by the same logic, those fluids can replace the Kubota fluid. Your dealer, and probably Kubota will try to scare you by saying that use of any other fluid voids your warranty. Rest assured, as long as you properly maintain your machine with quality parts, your warranty (and your tractor) will remain intact. Best of luck.

05-15-2001, 19:31 Post: 28226
RickB.

Kubota Hydraulic Fluid

Don't bother with Super UDT unless you have a glideshift or have a hydro in a COLD climate. If you have neither, UDT is fine, for 1/2 to 2/3 the cost. There are other oils out there meeting the respective specifications of both UDT and Super UDT. Just be sure anything you use meets the spec you want.

05-16-2001, 17:36 Post: 28268
FarmerWannabe

Kubota Hydraulic Fluid

I have been looking to buy a quart to top off my loader and can't seem to find less than 5 gallons! Is this a sign that I need to be considering draining and refilling the whole system? I don't have a manual, what is involved in this?
Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

05-16-2001, 21:02 Post: 28278
DJ

Filter by User
 Kubota Hydraulic Fluid

I have GST tranny and according to the book I change at 50hrs and again at 400hrs.Mines holds 10 gallons and you drain it in 4 places under the tractor. I just changed it at 50hrs and seems to shift better. I used regular UDT at $34/5gals. Based on what you said I take it you have never changed yours would highly recomend it. The filter was $24. Tractor cost more to operate than a boat. Hope this helps.

05-17-2001, 06:42 Post: 28286
TomG

TP Contributor

Filter by User
 Kubota Hydraulic Fluid

Around here hydraulic oil is sold in both 5 & 2.5 gallon buckets, but 5 gallon ones are the most common by far. An owner's manual should give you the hour intervals when hydraulic oil should be changed. The intervals for different tractors vary, but 400 to 600 hour intervals are common. Failure to change oil can result in premature wear to the gear train and hydraulic system. It can also lead to hydraulic system failure if the hydraulic filter becomes clogged. To change oil, you have to know where all the drain plugs are. Some tractors have four on the TX/DIFF and three on the front axle. You need some place to drain the oil and some way to get new oil into the tractor, and you need a new filter as well. Some tractors also have screens in the TX that must be cleaned. You should know the capacity of the reservoir so you know if the drain pan will hold the entire contents. Otherwise things get messy. You also should figure out how to dispose of the used oil. My tractor doesn't have enough ground clearance to fit a 5-gallon bucket under the drains, so I use a large drain pan. I have a pump that replaces the lid on a standard 5-gallon pain. The pump is very convenient--certainly more convenient than trying to balance large buckets and trying to pour through funnels. My auto garage takes the used oil. Some tractor dealers take back used oil—some places take it only when they’ve sold the new oil, and some places only in the original containers. Some people have friends who have waste oil furnaces. Getting rid of the used oil can be a problem, but it becomes a worse problem if it’s left sitting around. We inherited over 400-gallons in furnace tanks and drums along with a property we bought. The oil proved difficult and expensive to get rid of. My insurance broker said there would be no insurance coverage due to damage resulting from stored waste oil.

05-18-2001, 07:33 Post: 28332
Art White

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Kubota Hydraulic Fluid

We sure will have fun with this. Murf I went back and forth with a company once and come to find out for the way the companies sell oil no company has ever gone after a company that doesn't meet it's spec's. Many say they do but there are many differences in oil and the UDT is one of the toughest to copy. You may get by but that is all. To say how much it will hurt the unit not to have the manufacturers oil in it depends on the type of use. There are differences and for what I see some people useing I cringe.

05-19-2001, 05:46 Post: 28352
TomG

TP Contributor

Filter by User
 Kubota Hydraulic Fluid

My impression is that petro hydraulic/transmission oil is pretty universal stuff, especially if it comes from a tractor manufacturer. I've got a gear tractor, maybe HST's are more particular. My 1710 calls for Ford/NH 134D, but my dealer recommends F200, which is a multi-season version. I don't worry much about using an AGCO multi-season petro oil. However, I'm always ready to be reeducated.

05-22-2001, 14:07 Post: 28446
Murf

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Kubota Hydraulic Fluid

The best answers anyone (Oil Co. & Manuf.'s Tech.'s) could give me was that the differences between the different oils is basically this; 1) the Base oil is ALMOST identical regardless of what the label says, 2) the only REAL differences (and they are HUGE) is in the type and quantity of ADDITIVES that goes into the different oils. This makes a LOT of sense. Anyone out there with a 'modern, hi tech' diesel such as the Ford Power Stroke will know that using the wrong oil is like disconnecting 2 cylinders. Likewise with tractors, certain models or features (like Kubota's GST unit) require fluid that has more than the 'standard' levels of additives to control things like foaming (in the case of the GST), or cold temp. stability. So if your unit is absolutely nothing special, no problem, if it has specialized items, give them the right stuff. HOWEVER, as Art so correctly pointed out, I have gone through this with different Manufacturers, your warranty CANNOT be voided as long as you follow the spec.'s with regards to levels of maintenace, and quality of products used. The products however DO NOT have to be a specific BRAND. In other words, Kubota cannot kill your warranty merely because you did not use Kubota fluids, as long as you changed them for something EQUAL or better. Best of luck.

05-24-2001, 08:09 Post: 28519
Greg Harrison

Kubota Hydraulic Fluid

I just found that Chevron just released anew tractor fluid called Synthetic all weather HTF that lists it as replacing Super UDT. It is a stretch to call it synthetic as it uses Group lll base oils like Castrol Syntech. These base oils are better than the oils normally used but still not as good as pure synthetics. Pardon the runon but at least we have a viable choice. Havent found the price yet. The Super UDT isnt synthetic either according to the label on my 5 gallon can. Just a little info for those in need.
Greg

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Diesel Fuel Lubrication Engine Additives Forum

Thread 28017 Filter by Poster:
Art White 2 | Chief 2 | cutter 1 | DJ 2 | DRankin 3 | FarmerWannabe 1 | Greg Harrison 1 | Murf 2 | Richard Hollabaugh 1 | RickB. 1 | TomG 3 | Tommy Smith 1 |

Most Viewed

+ What Oil To Use With Kubota
+ OFF ROAD DIESEL FUEL?
+ diesel engine not starting properly 1466 IH
+ propane conversion for compact/small tractor
+ blue or yellow diesel fuel cans?
+ Kubota Hydraulic Fluid
+ Synthetic Oil (Shell Rotella)
+ Diesel additive -not enough or too much?
+ ETHER---YES --OR--NO?
+ Stihl 2 Stroke Oil Fuel Mix

Most Discussion

+ Synthetic-Oil-vs-Petroleum-and
+ Synthetic Hydraulic Fluid
+ Synthetic Oil (Shell Rotella)
+ blue or yellow diesel fuel can
+ Water Wetter by Redline oil -H
+ Off road vs. Taxed Pump diesel
+ Stihl 2 Stroke Oil Fuel Mix
+ Diesel? Gas? Something else?
+ Fuel Additive????