Go Bottom Go Bottom

OFF ROAD DIESEL FUEL

View my Photos
skipll
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-07-15          179420

Around here most say that Off road diesel fuel is dirty'er than the on road stuff--in fact the fellow I bought my excavator from also suggested I buy On road fuel.
I have been buying the on road fuel ever since---it is bout .20 cents more a gallon---That is not a problem for me--I don't burn that much diesel fuel.
The other thing the on road say's low sulfur---will that cause me problems with my tractors--

**** So what diesel fuel do ya all burn--on Or off road?****

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

OFF ROAD DIESEL FUEL

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-07-15          179421

Whoever told you that was wrong. Only difference between on-road and off-road diesel is tax and color (which probably accounts for that 20 cents). Pump price of on-road includes tax, off-road is tax-free to approved applicants - and is typically home-delivered in bulk. Dye (usually red) is added to off-road so the police can more easily ticket abusers who are burning tax-free off-road fuel in their non-exempt on-road vehicles.

LSD fuel (<500 ppm) will not harm any vehicles. ULSD fuel (<15 ppm) will not harm vehicles manufactured from Jan 2007 onward. Earlier models may suffer rubber shrinkage and subsequent fuel leakage. Solution is to treat fuel with a diesel supplement and to replace leaking rubber components with new parts made of Viton.

As far as which one I use, it's on-road. I don't use enough diesel fuel on my small farm for the tax offset to amortize the cost of a storage tank and pumping equipment

//greg// ....

OFF ROAD DIESEL FUEL

View my Photos
auerbach

2011-07-15          179422

Throughout North America by now, all diesel is low sulphur (costly but easier on the lungs). The road-tax-free version is identical except for the trace dye added (so tax inspectors examining the fuel system can tell if it was used in a road vehicle).

Filtering problems? True in two respects. There was one early isolated case of too much dye added that caused clogging. And the ultimate tax-free diesel, home-made biodiesel, is notorious for filter-clogging.

Sulphur does lubricate a little, so if the engine is older than around five years you might want to put in a lubricity additive (unless done so by the refiner). ....

OFF ROAD DIESEL FUEL

View my Photos
Murf

2011-07-18          179445

There is zero tax advantage to buying "off-road" diesel, all fuel used 'off-road' is tax free, you just have to file a form with the Goobermint to get the refund if it was bought at a gas station.

The only difference is that 'off-road' diesel fuel is not taxed at the point of sale based on it being used for uses other than over the road vehicles.

Best of luck. ....

OFF ROAD DIESEL FUEL

View my Photos
kthompson

2011-07-18          179447

Skip I suspect you will find stations that sell the off road fuel but not many. Look for them in farming areas or watch where contractor are pulling in with their construction equipment (not the trucks). You do want a station that pumps a good bit so it is fresh. Here the price is more like 30 cents and yes they will deliver (here want a min of 100 gallons) but still 30 cents per gallon at the pump is worth it to me when buy even 20 gallons at the time or filling my 150 gallon tank. ....

OFF ROAD DIESEL FUEL

View my Photos
skipll

2011-07-19          179453

You got a real good point there KT-----Bout 'FRESH'
Only one station I know of that sells Off Road fuel----Have no idea how much they sell--
But I do know of a station that sells alot of 'On Road fuel'---thats where I buy my diesel fuel---as little as I use--not gonna wory bout .20 cents more a gallon. ....

OFF ROAD DIESEL FUEL

View my Photos
auerbach

2011-07-19          179454

Freshness is not as important in diesel as in gasoline. ....

OFF ROAD DIESEL FUEL

View my Photos
kthompson

2011-07-19          179455

Auerbach, Freshness might not be but my impression is water is more so in diesel. Fresh to me means less water. Am I wrong? Also don't think gas will develop slim but old diesel can. My understanding in some parts of the world the fuel changes with the seasons (temp) so would think it needs to be mixture for the current temp range.

Skip here some distributors have pumps for the public. The two places I know who sell off road, sell a lot. I also understand 20 cents per gallon and 50 or so cents per mile cost to drive. ....

OFF ROAD DIESEL FUEL

View my Photos
auerbach

2011-07-21          179470

For what it's worth, my unauthoritative understanding is that the diesel dangers you mention are associated not with storage by professonal retailers but by owners. You need a water filter in the fuel system if you stored in metal containers with changing temperatures. And if your storage is prolonged and warm, check the appearance for signs of things growing in it, for which you can treat with a biocide.

But about that water: my 3-decade-old Yanmar's fuel filter has a sight-glass to show a water line (which I've never seen in 5000 hrs). It's only a diesel concern? Every aircraft I've flown requires a preflight draining of some avgas from the lowest part of each tank, into a container that lets you see a water line if there. I've never detected water, but obviously it's considered a possibility even with gasoline. Conversely, my new Grasshopper has a similar engine to the Yanmar's. But that new Kubota doesn't even have a sight glass -- so obviously one maker no longer considers it a worry for diesel.

Finally, every time I take a two-stroke in for servicing, the guy looks in the tank and says, "There's your problem -- stale gas. You say it's three months old? Yup, that's stale." I don't hear that from the diesel guy. ....

OFF ROAD DIESEL FUEL

View my Photos
kthompson

2011-07-21          179475

Here is what I know: water had shut down my diesel. Do not think it has done more that cause gas engine to sputter. Now on small gas engine forget that. Those engines seem to not like anything with todays gas.

I have bought diesel that had water in it. I agree some issues with diesel happens more likely with the end user. ....

OFF ROAD DIESEL FUEL

View my Photos
Murf

2011-07-21          179476

Kenny, Auerbach, you're both right. It's a problem, but more seasonal and regional than anything else.

The problem with water in diesel is that it won't pass the injectors, the surface tension and molecular structure prevents it. It will happily go through a carburetor though on a gas engine.

It also doesn't matter where you buy fuel, there is no tax payable on fuel used "off-road" regardless.

Best of luck. ....

OFF ROAD DIESEL FUEL

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2011-07-22          179488

There is no difference other than the color. If you are buying from a reputable suplier I don't know why off road would be dirty.
I don't use enough to have the bulk truck man stop, I'm sure he would being I used to buy my fuel from him when we farmed. I get a couple five gallon cans at a time from a neighboring farmer. I don't know much about the low sulfur issue, I just add a bit of white jug Power Service summer and winter.
Frank. ....

OFF ROAD DIESEL FUEL

View my Photos
skipll

2011-07-22          179499

OK----After all this discussion-----I'm Goin bak to buying off road fuel----don't care to give the gov. more of my money that they just seem to waste anyway.
So I have a question---My good buddy down the hill from me told me that he has 1 1/2 55 gal. drums of desiel fuel---he has had it for bout 10 years now & never used any of it---don't know why. It has been stored in his tractor barn.
Is there any thing he can add to it to make it safe to use----I don't know much---But I think now it is only good for starting brush fires. ( just my 2¢ & I would not put it in any of my machines ...no...no) ....

OFF ROAD DIESEL FUEL

View my Photos
greg_g

2011-07-22          179501

Yeah, brush piles or parts cleaner/degreaser. I don't keep enough around to go bad, but that's where my used engine oil, gear oil, hydraulic fluid goes; burning brush piles.

//greg// ....

OFF ROAD DIESEL FUEL

View my Photos
hardwood

2011-07-23          179504

I was thinking about the old fuel question. If this fuel is not contaminated or if it is contaminated by alge, water, dirt, etc. that can be filtered out or somehow cleaned by a simple method, then why is it too old. My point being the fuel was several million years old when it was pumped out of the earth so if it is not contaminated what differnce does a few years in a tank make?????
Frank. ....

OFF ROAD DIESEL FUEL

View my Photos
kwschumm

2011-07-23          179507

The fuel reacts with oxygen and changes it's chemical composition. Think of old fuel as being "rusted out". Crude oil is more stable than refined fuels and when it's underground there isn't much oxygen to react with. ....

OFF ROAD DIESEL FUEL

View my Photos
hardwood

2011-07-23          179508

KW;
OK, thanks for the info, I'm a long way from being a chemist.

Frank. ....

OFF ROAD DIESEL FUEL

View my Photos
kthompson

2011-07-23          179510

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwood | view 179508
KW;OK, thanks for the info, I'm a long way from being a chemist.Frank.

or millions of years old ....

OFF ROAD DIESEL FUEL

View my Photos
skipll

2011-07-23          179511

Hey Guys----so what is the consensus here------
Try & clean the 10 year old desiel fuel ( if so ---How )---OR ----use it for burning brush piles etc..
What would you do?

I know what I would do with it---use it for starting fires---Don't need no more problems! ....

OFF ROAD DIESEL FUEL

View my Photos
auerbach

2011-07-23          179512

On the ten-yr-old diesel I'd draw some from the bottom to look for water, and look for signs of life in it (a white scum or precipitate) and if so add diesel biocide. Then it could fuel an oil-burning furnace because #2 fuel oil is similar to diesel, and heaters don't need the same flow-perfection as engines. ....

OFF ROAD DIESEL FUEL

View my Photos
kwschumm

2011-07-23          179513

Use it on a burn pile. Running it through equipment will cause you nothing but grief. ....

OFF ROAD DIESEL FUEL

View my Photos
strikefalcon

2011-08-21          179939

I know it's a little late. but My experience as a Fuel oil delivery and furnace service tech. has shown me that # 2 fuel oil and on road diesel are the same basic product. #2 will have dye and the sulfer content is usually higher. But I noticed alot less sulpher buildup in boilers and furnaces after the switch to low sulpher on road. All fuel oil storage tanks have sludge in them. most have water and some have bacteria. the good news is that it either settlles or is easlly caught by the filters. We've had 500 gal of water loaded in with 5500 gal of fuel right from the refinery. I'll use fuel that is up to 18 months old but will cut it 50/50 with fresh fuel. ....

OFF ROAD DIESEL FUEL

View my Photos
auerbach

2011-08-21          179940

After I switched off oil heat, what was still in the tanks worked just fine in my tractor. ....

OFF ROAD DIESEL FUEL

View my Photos
kthompson

2011-08-22          179955

Strike Falcon, good to have you and your comments.
One other question and you may not know but I have been told jet fuel or some jet fuel is also the same.

OFF ROAD DIESEL FUEL

View my Photos
strikefalcon

2011-08-22          179958

Correct. Jet Fuel, Jet A JP-4 etc are all related to Diesel. their flash points, flow points etc are different but all are alot alike. Hence the multi-fuel engines used by the military . ....

OFF ROAD DIESEL FUEL

View my Photos
cutter

2011-08-22          179965

I use fuel that is several years old at times, always treated initially and run through a water trap and water separating filter prior to use. Never had an issue of any kind. ....

OFF ROAD DIESEL FUEL

View my Photos
billtreat

2012-10-30          185346

filter it it works. Use an automotive type for diesel. dont worry about the price if you dont use that much. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login